PDA

View Full Version : Trump Name a Climate Change Denier Asshole to Run NASA

mattsmith48
September 4th, 2017, 01:32 PM
In a Friday night news dump, the White House announced that President Donald Trump Plans to nominate Rep. Jim Bridenstine (R-OK), a climate science denier to be administrator of NASA.

Bridenstine is a politician without any scientific credentials, unlike previous NASA chiefs, and for that reason his nomination has already been criticized by both Florida’s senators Marco Rubio (R) and Bill Nelson (D), Politico reports. Rubio said, “I just think [his nomination] could be devastating for the space program.”

NASA scientists have led the way in documenting the scientific reality of climate change. But in 2013, Bridenstine not only gave a speech on the House floor filled with standard denier talking points, he actually ended his remarks with a demand that President Obama apologize for funding research into climate science...

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-names-climate-science-denier-to-run-nasa-c9a46a6f4a52/

This was announce Friday, on the same week that hurricane Harvey flooded Texas and another major Hurricane, Irma, formed and is threatening to hit the US.

I think its time for the rest of the world to seriously start considering implementing sanctions against the US over their climate change denial.

Dalcourt
September 4th, 2017, 02:06 PM
Well I don't think you could sanction the US for part of the population not beliving in climate change. What would be the legal ground here? Being stupid is not yet a crime.

Furthermore,with those natural disasters, like recently with hurricane Harvey the American people pay the price already....losing homes and maybe even their lives...it damages economy and the costs are horrendous. And since these disasters will increase in intensity I guess the US sanctions itself more by following this path of turning a blind eye to climate change as any other country could do.

mattsmith48
September 4th, 2017, 02:22 PM
Well I don't think you could sanction the US for part of the population not beliving in climate change. What would be the legal ground here? Being stupid is not yet a crime.

Furthermore,with those natural disasters, like recently with hurricane Harvey the American people pay the price already....losing homes and maybe even their lives...it damages economy and the costs are horrendous. And since these disasters will increase in intensity I guess the US sanctions itself more by following this path of turning a blind eye to climate change as any other country could do.

Sanctions are not about what the population believe, it's about what the people in power believe. One of two major political party has climate change denial as one of things defining the party, and that is not only affecting the US, but it is also affecting us, every other country, every other human. This is why we should implement sanctions.

PlasmaHam
September 4th, 2017, 04:09 PM
I miss the days when VT could have a debate without degrading into insults. Nowadays it seems we can't even have a debate without every other post being someone calling someone else a "bullshitter" or "asshole". It is even worse that we've grown to accept that behavior among some of the most consistent posters here. Just goes to show how far ROTW and VTDC have fallen in recent months.

BlackParadePixie
September 5th, 2017, 12:33 AM
I think its time for the rest of the world to seriously start considering implementing sanctions against the US over their climate change denial.

how about you focus on the countries that actually do MOST of the polluting?

Sanctions are not about what the population believe, it's about what the people in power believe.

No.....sanctions are for what the people in power DO. Not what they BELIEVE. You can't thought police everyone.

Posts merged. ~Mars

Mars
September 5th, 2017, 12:56 AM
Keep this thread on topic and civil. Posts will be deleted if this type of talk continues.

~Mars

Babs
September 5th, 2017, 01:04 AM

the us is pretty far up there.
http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science_and_impacts/science/each-countrys-share-of-co2.html#.Wa49PEFOmEc

Dalcourt
September 5th, 2017, 03:29 AM
Sanctions are not about what the population believe, it's about what the people in power believe. One of two major political party has climate change denial as one of things defining the party, and that is not only affecting the US, but it is also affecting us, every other country, every other human. This is why we should implement sanctions.

Firstly even those countries who believe in climate change and the Paris agreement all do way not enough to make a significant change for our climate so we would all basically have to sanction each other.

Second there are some political issues where I am cautious to favour sanctions. I feel with sanctions there would be just more fuel added to the wild conspiracy theories according to those climate change stories were made up to damage US economy.

So do whatever you can do to stop climate change in your own country and have a little more faith in the American people. We are not all like our President
there are enough people here who know that climate change is real and take action accordingly.

mattsmith48
September 5th, 2017, 12:15 PM
No.....sanctions are for what the people in power DO. Not what they BELIEVE. You can't thought police everyone.

They are politicians what they do is what they believe.

The way Solar panels and wind farms are growing in China and other great polluters, I wouldn't be surprise the US become the most polluting country in the world by the time President Man-Child is out of office.

Firstly even those countries who believe in climate change and the Paris agreement all do way not enough to make a significant change for our climate so we would all basically have to sanction each other.

The Paris agreement is a start, and at least they are doing something.

Second there are some political issues where I am cautious to favour sanctions. I feel with sanctions there would be just more fuel added to the wild conspiracy theories according to those climate change stories were made up to damage US economy.

That would be like saying we should have kept sending humans to the Moon no matter how expensive or dangerous it is, so conspiracy theories wouldn't say we stop going because we found aliens up there. Sanctions should be last resort, but that's where we are.

So do whatever you can do to stop climate change in your own country and have a little more faith in the American people. We are not all like our President
there are enough people here who know that climate change is real and take action accordingly.

Faith is not really my thing. The party that denies climate change have the majority at every level of the federal government. I know it's partially due to things like a shitty electoral system, gerrymandering and cheating, but they still need a lot of people to vote for them and it's not like they are hiding their denial. During the presidential debates last year, they were a grand total of zero questions on climate change and climate change was mentioned like three times. There is also 62 millions people who voted for a guy who openly said climate change is a hoax by the China for president, that's more than the population of Italy. There is not really any reason to have faith.

Btw Hurricane Irma I mention yesterday is now a category 5 hurricane and is going to hit Puerto Rico and Florida.

Dalcourt
September 5th, 2017, 12:58 PM
mattsmith48 and if we would agree on the sanctions thing what sanctions do you think about and how should they help with the climate change issue?

mattsmith48
September 6th, 2017, 10:29 AM
mattsmith48 and if we would agree on the sanctions thing what sanctions do you think about and how should they help with the climate change issue?

Well we start by stopping giving them shit they like, like oil and bombing Muslim countries, and you keep it up until either their politician stop being stupid or we completely stop trade with them.

lliam
September 6th, 2017, 11:24 AM
Stuff like sanctions imo doesn't help.

Similarly to this is the question: "What do we do when the UK leaves the EU?"
stoic answer: "We still continue without the UK."

As a consequence of this pragmatic view, there could situations arise which have a similar effect like sanctions on specific parts of the American economy.

If that ever happens, is up to the rest of the world. However I've my doubts. If even Europe can't agree on a common policy, the rest of the world won't do it either.