PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Hebdo Hurricane Harvey Cartoon

mattsmith48
September 4th, 2017, 01:05 AM
The French satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo relishes controversy, often seeming to invite offense with its provocative cover art.

One 2010 cover illustration showed a Muslim woman running naked, a burqa stuffed up her backside. “Wear the burqa,” the caption read, “on the inside.” Another showed the prophet Muhammad weeping because he was “overwhelmed by fundamentalists.” A June cover depicted British Prime Minister Theresa May decapitated.

The newspaper's latest issue takes aim at a new target: the victims of the catastrophic Hurricane Harvey, which hit Texas on Friday, killing at least 35 people, displacing thousands and causing billions of dollars in damage.

The art on the Charlie Hebdo cover shows swastika flags and hands raised in what looks like Nazi salutes poking out above floodwaters. The text reads: "God exists! He drowned all the neo-Nazis of Texas." The illustration is an apparent reference to Texans' support of Donald Trump, who won 52.6 percent of the state's vote in the presidential election.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/08/31/cover-of-frances-charlie-hebdo-suggests-hurricane-harvey-victims-are-neo-nazis/?utm_term=.59fe2df01afe

A couple days late, but really wanted to know your opinion on this. For those who didn't see it here it is.

http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/59a8511c6eac40c92c8b6d76-756/2119207916470251353206184930847123385433922n.jpg

Personally I think it is outrageous they are promoting one religion over all the others. And they need to get their facts right God didn't flood Texas because Nazis live there, he did it because of the one abortion clinic that is still open.

KatieCO2003
September 4th, 2017, 02:43 AM
They had a choice. They could have supported thousands of flooded Texans. Instead, they did this.When they were bombed, we supported them.

Who is the real biggot?

Uniquemind
September 4th, 2017, 04:44 AM
It's distasteful and is a hasty generalization.

That's not to mention even if I were to indulge them here, the fact of the matter remains a state's statistical majority of how they vote is not necessarily the same individuals who did or did not support the last election.

This means many individuals flooded out now, might be suffering and also not Trump supporters either.

I only support satire when it's accurate and promotes logical attribution of blame due to cause and effect.

This piece is not that, it's lazy and mean.

Dalcourt
September 4th, 2017, 04:52 AM
To cause controversy is the purpose of satire and that's what it is.
It is made to provoke people and not to be liked by everyone. They do this all the time...mocking they people in Italy after the earthquake etc...

They already have paid for their form of satire not lined by everyone as they were attacked by extremists....so I guess they are perfectly aware of what they do.

It's personal taste...I find some of their things funny and some just bad taste.

I'm kinda indifferent on the Harvey one, though. ..a lot of religious leaders or conservatives mocked us people of New Orleans after Katrina saying it was God's punishment for our loose morals and liberty. So Texans now get the same mockery for kinda being too right wing/ conservative ...just shows how silly such remarks are but at the same time gives conservatives a lil taste of their own medicine.
Moral of the story for me....if you talk shit about others you have to be prepared to get shit from them and if you can't handle it keep your mouth shut.

Charlie Hebdo can handle shit storms and being attacked...so I hope the other sides can, too.

PlasmaHam
September 4th, 2017, 09:23 AM
It is in bad tastes, but I'm not going to harp on it. It is just funny that a French publication is mocking America over having Nazis. At least we never surrendered to them.

I'm also amused at how many people think Houston is some ultra-conservative stronghold. The city went blue in the 2004 elections, and it typically just barely leans red.

mattsmith48
September 4th, 2017, 09:58 AM
It is in bad tastes, but I'm not going to harp on it. It is just funny that a French publication is mocking America over having Nazis. At least we never surrendered to them.

I'm also amused at how many people think Houston is some ultra-conservative stronghold. The city went blue in the 2004 elections, and it typically just barely leans red.

Funny how Americans use to see Nazis as the enemy and after they spent hundreds of thousands of lives and millions of dollars fighting the Nazis in WWII, the President of the US is now supporting and defending them and people still support him.

Jinglebottom
September 4th, 2017, 10:17 AM
Reminder: stay on topic, and don't try to start a fight (again). Thank you.

~Jinglebottom

ShineintheDark
September 4th, 2017, 11:55 AM
It was a little distasteful but it's what Charlie Hebdo does. If we suddenly start changing our tune to them now that the victim of their mockery and satire are now Americans then we lose the whole point of free speech and right to an opinion. As stated before, they did the exact same in the Italian earthquakes and continue to do so for most tragedies.

Exocet
September 5th, 2017, 05:08 PM

LMAO,that's easy to talk sh*t when you are safe on another continent. If the nazis weren't busy with the russians,they would have all kicked your butts and you would have done like your British sidekicks : Flee as fast as possible from mainland Europe.

ShineintheDark
September 6th, 2017, 08:51 AM
LMAO,that's easy to talk sh*t when you are safe on another continent. If the nazis weren't busy with the russians,they would have all kicked your butts and you would have done like your British sidekicks : Flee as fast as possible from mainland Europe. hey, as a representative of the British people I'd like to point out we had your back in that war, we harboured as many refugees and aided as many freedom fighters as we could. Besides, we tight now. No need to fight