View Full Version : Emancipation Help

September 2nd, 2017, 07:53 PM
Hey guys, so basically my state allows emancipation at 16 and I'm turning 16 on the 5th. I'm currently living with a friend and his mother and pay rent. I go to school and work and all that. My mother said she'd have no problem helping me get emancipated. What steps should I take from here? What should I do to make sure my petition goes through? Thanks

September 2nd, 2017, 08:44 PM
I believe that you need to go to a clerk of court and fill out a petition for emancipation. It would be a bunch of forms and things. Then you would appear in court in front of a judge and he or she would look over and read your petition. They would most likely ask you a bunch of questions and then either rule for or against the petition. They may take it under advisement also and then it may take a few weeks to get the judges ruling.

September 3rd, 2017, 07:33 AM
if you haven't already:

-I would document how you are currently making $$
-your grades before & after you moved out of your parents
- show the bills you have been paying & for how long
-have a list of future goals so the judge can see you have a clear head on your shoulders

September 3rd, 2017, 08:56 AM
Overall, you just need to make a credible and reasonable case for being emancipated. Prove the bills and rent you've vbeen paying as well as the positive effect the change has been having on your life so far and no reasonable judge would really question that..

Side note: seems we share the same birthday

Just JT
September 3rd, 2017, 05:31 PM
Looks like your already in to some degree. Did a basic google search. Lots of info. Your state has what's called an implied emancipation.

Basically if you move out and are self supporting, you already are. But your parents can remind that to

In order to make it not recindable, you need to petition the court, and get a court order.

The family/probate court for your area should have all the paperwork you need to file. There's also a lot of legal aid places around that will help you. Even if you don't have cash for a lawyer

My personal experience, dealing with any legal shit, get a lawyer, domit right the first time. Cheaper easier and faster than doing it over agin

Good luck, keep us up on how you make out ok?

September 5th, 2017, 03:48 PM
JustJT pretty much said what I was going to. If you're already living away from home and making money why spend the extra money for legal fees?