PDA

View Full Version : Question about younger cousin

Skylake78
September 1st, 2017, 08:59 PM
Since I moved away from home for college, I'm spending a lot more time with a little 8-year-old cousin I rarely saw previously who lives in the area, which includes taking care of him for his parents while they're working (which will be limited some though once I start school). Ever since about late July, he's had this big fascination with kissing me on the lips. The first time he did it really caught me off guard and I didn't know to respond, so I just sorta turned away and started talking about something completely unrelated. He's done it a few more times, until more recently I finally told him that he had to stop, but I wasn't as firm about it as I should have. I don't really know why I let him do it more than once though :whoops:

I guess my question here is should I be concerned about something negative in his life that might've triggered this, or is this sort of thing pretty normal for kids around that age. I've had very little experience with young kids before I started spending a lot of time with him, so I don't really have much for myself to reference from.

Just JT
September 1st, 2017, 10:00 PM
I'd say that's just how he knows how to express his affection like he does his mom and dad
Don't think I'd read into it unless he start slipping you his tongue lol!!

Anyways, maybe explain how it's inappropriate for you both to kiss like that as that's how mom and dad do?
Maybe a bro hug or you kiss his forehead gnight and call it close kinda thing?

But if your questioning that for yourself I'd take a solid stare in the mirror bro
Don't cross that line....ever...

Skylake78
September 2nd, 2017, 06:56 AM
I'd say that's just how he knows how to express his affection like he does his mom and dad
Don't think I'd read into it unless he start slipping you his tongue lol!!

Anyways, maybe explain how it's inappropriate for you both to kiss like that as that's how mom and dad do?
Maybe a bro hug or you kiss his forehead gnight and call it close kinda thing?

But if your questioning that for yourself I'd take a solid stare in the mirror bro
Don't cross that line....ever...

No I would never cross that line, and while we have become really close, I find I see him as a little brother I never had.

I'll definitely take your suggestion, and before anything else I'll explain that to him. I could tell him that we can do other stuff like hugs and such, but just not what he's been doing.

Thank you for the advice ^_^

ShineintheDark
September 2nd, 2017, 07:34 AM
He's probbaly just curious and doesn't quite understand that there are limits about what he should try doing. Just explain that to him and he should understand.

mick01
September 2nd, 2017, 10:13 AM
If it was me, I'd make sure his parents knew that he was doing that and initiating it. I would just ask them if they were ok with him showing that kind of affection.

jamie_n5
September 2nd, 2017, 02:56 PM
I would think that he is showing affection and is still the child just showing you that he loves you. Does he still kiss his dad to show affection? If so then I am sure that it's just him showing you affection.

Bull
September 2nd, 2017, 03:07 PM
I would think that he is showing affection and is still the child just showing you that he loves you. Does he still kiss his dad to show affection? If so then I am sure that it's just him showing you affection.

Jamie is spot on here. If he is accustomed to kissing his dad on the lips he is just transferring to you and if you tell him it is wrong then you may create a family problem. Look before you leap!

Just JT
September 2nd, 2017, 04:13 PM
Agreed, butnever to carful. People can interpret stuff all wrong, even when on the receiving end of a kiss from an innocent child who doesn't completly understand his actions

Skylake78
September 2nd, 2017, 04:43 PM
I haven't really noticed if it's something he does with his dad, but either way I'm glad he hasn't tried do it in public with me, because yeah, wrong impressions :rolleyes: I got some time to think this through a bit before I see him next, so I'll have to see where things lead.

ska8er
September 2nd, 2017, 05:51 PM
If its a deep kiss then I would b
concerned but if it is a peck I don't
c anything wrong with it. Maybe its
the way he shows affection at home.
He was taught that way.

pjones
September 3rd, 2017, 10:34 AM
could be very innocent, and think it is. if you're uncomfortable with it there is no reason you can't explain that to him and suggest a hug instead. At 8 he should be able to understand that

Seraph
September 3rd, 2017, 02:07 PM
Since I moved away from home for college, I'm spending a lot more time with a little 8-year-old cousin I rarely saw previously who lives in the area, which includes taking care of him for his parents while they're working (which will be limited some though once I start school). Ever since about late July, he's had this big fascination with kissing me on the lips. The first time he did it really caught me off guard and I didn't know to respond, so I just sorta turned away and started talking about something completely unrelated. He's done it a few more times, until more recently I finally told him that he had to stop, but I wasn't as firm about it as I should have. I don't really know why I let him do it more than once though :whoops:

I guess my question here is should I be concerned about something negative in his life that might've triggered this, or is this sort of thing pretty normal for kids around that age. I've had very little experience with young kids before I started spending a lot of time with him, so I don't really have much for myself to reference from.

I often kiss my cousins and brothers on the lips, generally it is a peck or a short kiss involving only the lips. There is nothing lustful in it, I believe. There are many ways of showing your love to your friends and family, and this is merely one of them and not very different from kisses on the cheek or hugs.

If your cousin is accustomed to kissing on the lips, then there's nothing strange in this. He may be just showing his love towards you, and means nothing other than love to you. I do not think you should discourage him, it may raise some complications between your families. Just let it occur, do not care about what others think, they will forget they ever saw you do it.

jamie_n5
September 5th, 2017, 07:12 PM
I think you have the right ideas now and can think about it like you said before seeing him again. If after you think about it and evaluate it and when you see him again you evaluate how he kisses you if he does again. If you decide it is probably a little too much then explain to him kindly and gently that you feel like he shouldn't do that anymore. Tell him that you love him and know he loves you too. I hope things work out for the best for both of you.