PDA

View Full Version : Should I give up on speech therapy?

ksdnfkfr
March 3rd, 2014, 11:29 AM
As some of you might know, I'm autistic. I have what is called classic autism or moderate/severe autism (I'm more on the moderate end). Up until about age 7 I was completely nonverbal. Then after that I was monosyllabic. Meaning I would only say single syllable words like yes, no, food, drink etc. On top of having nonverbal autism, I have aparxia (or dysparixa) of speech. Which means uncoordinated vocal mouth movements. I call it mush mouth. So when I talk in a stream, it basically sounds like gibberish. So I'm still basically a single word talker and a lot of times selectively mute.

Anyways... I have been hitting a roadblock with my speech therapy for a while now. What my therapist calls a plateau. Therapy is becoming increasingly upsetting for me and coming close to causing autistic meltdowns. I'm not a quitter. I have gotten a lot further along in my development than they said I would when I was little through perseverance. But this time I am ready to throw in the towel.

I don't know if I'm looking for advice, or permission to quit or what.
But would appreciate any feedback. Thanks

JamesSuperBoy
March 3rd, 2014, 11:37 AM
Ok this is one time I really wish I had the right advice -

I guess maybe you go every week - maybe more - so is thinking about a cut down or a break - a few weeks or something - sorry I really dont know what else -

AlexOnToast
March 3rd, 2014, 04:05 PM
Well I can't speak for experience here or put myself in your boots, but i would suggest maybe taking a breather for a while, let your mind settle and work things over a bit and then see if you can get your head around round two. I hope it works out for you, you have potential my friend

Miserabilia
March 3rd, 2014, 04:07 PM
I'd say never give up.
It sounds so cliché but even when it's not going well it's best to try and push through, if that makes any sense.

Feraligatr
March 3rd, 2014, 04:42 PM
I don't really have any experience with this, but I attended speech classes a few years back. I was in speech at school until eighth grade, and I loved it. I have to admit, I did find it a bit embarrassing. People sometimes tell me that I have a speech impediment, but I try to ignore them. I do know that you shouldn't give up. You have potential to do great things. Don't give up until it's over.

ugaboy
March 3rd, 2014, 06:13 PM
Although I have not had to go through speech therapy, I am sure it is tough on you. But I seem to remember reading is some of your old posts, about other things that you have been able to overcome through therapy and help from others. I think you really are at a plateau - at the moment. Just take a short break, and then go right back at it. You have gained so much, the speech therapy will work out as well. Good luck.

Troye
March 3rd, 2014, 06:41 PM
Never give up man, I understand it can get stressful and frustrating, however I think you can overcome if you just keep at it.

Mastretta
March 3rd, 2014, 08:35 PM
As some of you might know, I'm autistic. I have what is called classic autism or moderate/severe autism (I'm more on the moderate end). Up until about age 7 I was completely nonverbal. Then after that I was monosyllabic. Meaning I would only say single syllable words like yes, no, food, drink etc. On top of having nonverbal autism, I have aparxia (or dysparixa) of speech. Which means uncoordinated vocal mouth movements. I call it mush mouth. So when I talk in a stream, it basically sounds like gibberish. So I'm still basically a single word talker and a lot of times selectively mute.

Anyways... I have been hitting a roadblock with my speech therapy for a while now. What my therapist calls a plateau. Therapy is becoming increasingly upsetting for me and coming close to causing autistic meltdowns. I'm not a quitter. I have gotten a lot further along in my development than they said I would when I was little through perseverance. But this time I am ready to throw in the towel.

Never give up, I was also in speech therapy for over 9 years, going 2x a week when I started at 4 then I went down to 1x a week and I gradually have gotten better and I think before I say blends like "St" now If I talk to you wouldn't have thought I was ever in speech. Yes I still have problems sometimes have problems with "St" in the middle of words like hostile but I wouldn't have gotten to the point I am now from quitting

Etcetera
March 3rd, 2014, 09:46 PM
I know it's probably not the same, but I had to do speech therapy as well. I have an impediment. I went through therapy in my younger elementary years, but then refused to continue because I was tired of doing it and didn't think I was getting any results. Kids pick on me a lot for it, and sometimes I wish I had continued it. Please consider that in the future, you might regret your decision.

I have to think a lot before I say things, or stop and say them again until it's right or I give up. I often wonder if I might be better with it had I continued speech therapy.

backjruton
March 5th, 2014, 12:15 PM

The way I see it is... my parents say when I was born the doctors told them I would never be able to walk or talk. Now I think of it this might have been because of the muscle disorder my mum only told me about 2 weeks ago, because I did notice the wikipedia page for Hypotonia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypotonia) does mention problems with speech and movement. Anyway; I've never had help, I actually refuse to get help, and you may think that I'm being stubborn but I think it's better to teach yourself new skills instead of getting help from other people. Everyone has made me feel stupider than I actually am and because of this I feel more pride when I do new things. I speak gibberish sometimes when I speak too fast and I'm constantly having to repeat myself because people can't understand what I'm saying, as well as my good friend - except for the fact she always speaks quickly, I think I can control myself, and her voice is far too high for my liking :L :(

I remember when my mum was phoning the school constantly asking if I could have help walking across the roads because I wasn't very good at it, and this seemed to only be because I was used to walking with my parents and didn't look for cars because I expected them to do it for me. I am completely capable of waiting at traffic lights, no matter how much I hate it and no matter how fun I find running in front of cars, and I can walk all the way from college to home by myself now which I couldn't a few months ago because they wouldn't trust me. They said I would never walk but I'm now able to go home through the town by myself, no matter how much it hurts my head because of the crowds.

I think what I'm pointing towards is: If you're having problems with your speech therapy, stop for a while and see how you do and if you have problems and can't cope, start it again. Surely it's good to have a break when things aren't going the way you want them to. I know what you have is a lot different than PDD-NOS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pervasive_developmental_disorder_not_otherwise_specified) (I think this is where I am on the spectrum :|) but it can't hurt (too much) to try, can it? My speaking problems have mainly just been pronunciation of some words, I can't even say my own name properly, so I don't know how things are for other people... but people have suggested I go to speech therapy and I'm ignoring them too. I personally don't see why we should have to change to be like other people, being different can be a good thing if it's not causing you too many psychological problems :yes:

Tarannosaurus
March 5th, 2014, 02:24 PM
I'm hesitant to say give it up completely because like you've said, you have actually done quite well. It's obviously really upsetting you though so you could take a break and come back to it, that might help you to refresh your willpower.