PDA

View Full Version : Attractiveness

Angelus_Mortem
August 29th, 2017, 02:49 AM
I was just watching a couple of videos on youtube about what makes you attractive and I couldn't help but think, why do these videos exist? People go on and on about how you can be more attractive to try and help people when, in reality, they're only making things worse. All these videos do is feed into the mainstream idea of what's "attractive". That being said, it makes the viewers more insecure about the way they look. Most of the videos stated that having a good personality is attractive and, really, that should be the only thing that attractiveness is based off of rather than looks. It just drives me crazy that people make these videos without realizing what they're doing to people and yes, I know that it's been going on forever but looks aren't everything.. You shouldn't have to be skinny with a fat ass to be considered attractive and you shouldn't have to be built to be hot.. It drives me insane!!! What are your thoughts on the matter?

Living For Love
August 29th, 2017, 06:06 AM
Humans are visual creatures, we have eyes to see things and a brain to process what we see, and beauty is just one of those things. Attractiveness can be indeed based off looks, although I believe other aspects can influence it. You could argue what one considers attractive or not, but they are simply opinions, others could disagree with what you consider an attractive person or not. At the end of the day, I think it's more important to be happy with the way you look rather than trying to please others. If you're skinny and you're happy with that, then fine. If you're large and you're happy with that, then fine too.

ShineintheDark
August 29th, 2017, 10:18 AM
Humans will always use the eyes as the primary organ used to determine attractiveness as we can see from far distances but you can't have a conversation from across the room. In that regard, we will always feel the need to look more visially attractive. In the same way, what we find visually attractive is just an extension of biological superiority: large breasts mean potential children can better feed from them, skinnier frame means more space for muscle mass and so larger likelihood of living longer. A hell of what we dismiss as shallow visials is based on biology. However, personality plays a much larger part of relationships now than it did back in the stone age and society is catching onto that, you just gotta have patience and find the right person.

Jinglebottom
August 29th, 2017, 10:55 AM
I'm sorry, but the saying "looks don't matter" is a total and complete lie. Looks do matter, but they shouldn't be the only thing that matters. Personality is important too, of course. And anyway, each person is attracted to different things, the mainstream idea of what beauty is doesn't cater to everyone. I find a lot of it ugly and tacky.

PlasmaHam
August 29th, 2017, 11:11 AM
Looks do matter, and are important. Just the way you look tells alot about you, and we as a society has determined what attributes tell the best things about people. Looks are an important aspect to attractiveness, but they shouldn't be the only aspect. Personality, beliefs, and your moral code are just a few of the factors that determine personal attractiveness as well.

Babs
August 29th, 2017, 11:23 AM
No matter what kind of funky shit you got goin on, there's somebody who is into that. Thus, I'm not concerned about mainstream beauty standards. I don't think anyone is truly held back by them.

Stronk Serb
August 30th, 2017, 09:44 AM
All the girls I have been with consider me attractive. Girls I have been with. There were many denials, sometimes because of that. It's a relative thing.

jamie_n5
September 3rd, 2017, 07:14 PM
People have always tried to make themselves more attractive. I doubt that will ever change. I totally agree that attractiveness is both appearance and personality and I also feel that personality should be the top reason. There are way more of us regular people in the world than the hot super model types. This will never change. I never have been overly enthused with the movie star beautiful type people. I am more interested in real people than those big shot false faced people. Most people see through the ultra beauty and find what is beyond all the smoke and mirrors of fame and beauty.

Flapjack
September 3rd, 2017, 08:54 PM
I personally am attracted to peoples personalities and fine when I am attracted to their personality that I find their body hot when I didn't before and others don't however there is nothing shallow about being attracted to someone based solely on their appearance, we can't choose what we are attracted to.

I think such videos are really bad for peoples self esteem, you should be happy with your body and how you look!! But I do get why they exist because me like everyone else wishes I looked different :')

DoodleSnap
September 20th, 2017, 07:23 PM
You can't blame people for being attracted to physical traits - it's fairly natural. But I do agree that often these videos on YouTube, much like other aspects of pop culture, are taking advantage of people's insecurities for profit.