PDA

View Full Version : Any programmers here?

HollaFoil
August 28th, 2017, 05:24 AM
I myself am I programmer for quite a bit. Even though I am only 13, I have been programming for around 4-3 years in languages such as Java, Python, C# and C++, a bit of website stuff like HTML5, CSS and JS but not much. I usually program a lot in Unity, but I have made a few other things outside it like Twitch bots, scripts for games (Hack to learn, not learn to hack) and a few other things. Never really finished anything, mostly did it all to learn, though my Twitch bot is fully functional and has more than enough features but it isn't very user-friendly.

What about you? Have you finished any projects? What kind of languages have you been programming in and how long? I was wondering if anybody would like to team up and make a fun game (well, anything really) together? :)

A bit off-topic: does anyone know a site for teen developer communities or anything like that? I am currently only a programmer and can do a tiny bit of pixel art, meaning I really could not finish a project on my own. I am looking for other people that have the same hobby that want to team up and make an indie game together.

Good luck to all of you! :)

PlasmaHam
August 28th, 2017, 08:47 AM
I've done python for about a year now, I'm pretty good with that. This semester I am taking a college-level Java class, so I am currently getting myself familiar with Java right now, hopefully by the end of this year I'll be able to gain some good Java experience.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I am experienced with the Ardunio programming language, which is basically a variation of C++ specifically designed for programming external chips for mobile use. Or in simpler terms, it is C++ for programming robots.

Endeavour
August 28th, 2017, 09:44 AM
I've learned python for about a year and a half or so now. I'm taking another programming and computer science course in the new school year, presumably we're carrying on with python again.

Sere
August 28th, 2017, 03:44 PM
I myself am I programmer for quite a bit. Even though I am only 13, I have been programming for around 4-3 years in languages such as Java, Python, C# and C++, a bit of website stuff like HTML5, CSS and JS but not much. I usually program a lot in Unity, but I have made a few other things outside it like Twitch bots, scripts for games (Hack to learn, not learn to hack) and a few other things. Never really finished anything, mostly did it all to learn, though my Twitch bot is fully functional and has more than enough features but it isn't very user-friendly.

What about you? Have you finished any projects? What kind of languages have you been programming in and how long? I was wondering if anybody would like to team up and make a fun game (well, anything really) together? :)

A bit off-topic: does anyone know a site for teen developer communities or anything like that? I am currently only a programmer and can do a tiny bit of pixel art, meaning I really could not finish a project on my own. I am looking for other people that have the same hobby that want to team up and make an indie game together.

Done python, html and some other languages. I'm currently working with a team of like 8 or 9 people on making a game. I'll make a post when it comes out.

As for forums, you could do some web searching. Idk any off the top of my head. You could post stuff about this sort here on VT as well.

Flapjack
August 28th, 2017, 03:56 PM
I am an amateur programmer, I do it for fun, nothing serious xD

As for you making your own indie game, I have been there buddy and have found that when you set off to make a game just for the sake of making a game you will lack direction and people will get bored and you will be left with a basic boring incomplete mess.

Instead think of what you want to make, plan it then make it!!

For example my friends wanted to make a tower defence game with the towers as our friends and the enemies and people we didn't like so we just bought the source code for a good tower defence game, changed the pics to what we wanted and with minimal coding we had the game we wanted in like 2 hours!!

Coordinating making a game with kids online sounds painful buddy I suggest you find some people irl xD

HollaFoil
August 29th, 2017, 01:17 AM
I am an amateur programmer, I do it for fun, nothing serious xD

As for you making your own indie game, I have been there buddy and have found that when you set off to make a game just for the sake of making a game you will lack direction and people will get bored and you will be left with a basic boring incomplete mess.

Instead think of what you want to make, plan it then make it!!

For example my friends wanted to make a tower defence game with the towers as our friends and the enemies and people we didn't like so we just bought the source code for a good tower defence game, changed the pics to what we wanted and with minimal coding we had the game we wanted in like 2 hours!!

Coordinating making a game with kids online sounds painful buddy I suggest you find some people irl xD

Well, I already had ideas for games but I lack the skill of art, especially character design. The programming bit is not a problem for me. While I know that after a lot of practice I could probably become better at art (and I am trying) I also want to start a project where we work as a team.

As for the finding people part, there are many kids that would coordinate well. Yes, there are many of them that are a pain to work with. It all depends on how mature they are. I have seen many mature kids but not in programming. The difficulty is to find kids in general, not to find good ones. Up until the point I find them I will probably have to do simplistic games or use free assets online. Yesterday alone I spent around 3-4 hours searching in google for people, found nothing.

Seraph
August 29th, 2017, 04:35 AM
I've been learning programming for quite a while (3-4 years probably).

I know Java, Python and am rusty in C++. My aim is to become a game developer and join companies like Blizzard or Bethesda, I've spent many hours trying to learn the work of programming and animation.

I alongside my blood brother and two cousins are learning animation and programming. We shall start a project (a low-budget horror game probably) of our own in April of the next year.

lliam
August 29th, 2017, 04:58 AM
If you don't find anything that's suitable to you on the Internet, you can ask the mods to create your own subforum on VT ( eg "Teen Programmers" or such) and discuss teen programmers / developers stuff there.

Maybe VT then will become the Mecca of tween/teen programmers and developers by time. But you must've the time ... even the will of course. It takes a long breath, effort and a lot of commitment until something really is established.

Specsnerd007
August 29th, 2017, 11:22 PM
I know UNIX swift little bit of Python and some java although I hate java. Currently working on raspberry pi zero to make a pencil box with a screen so that I cheat of it on school exams like raspberry pi inside it .any bright suggestions.

Exactly dude I want to find developers community too and I couldbt cause I couldn't find any not even in dark websites . I've always wanted to be in a developer grouo with people of my age cause I'm only a lone code. You interested in finding any together or just building something together?? Let me know

Posts merged. Please edit your post next time. ~Jinglebottom

bonbon
August 30th, 2017, 09:26 AM
I know some Python, Java and Kotlin.

I've never found any 'teen coders' community either. If you ever find one, please share, I'd too be interested!

HollaFoil
August 31st, 2017, 01:15 AM
I know UNIX swift little bit of Python and some java although I hate java. Currently working on raspberry pi zero to make a pencil box with a screen so that I cheat of it on school exams like raspberry pi inside it .any bright suggestions.

Exactly dude I want to find developers community too and I couldbt cause I couldn't find any not even in dark websites . I've always wanted to be in a developer grouo with people of my age cause I'm only a lone code. You interested in finding any together or just building something together?? Let me know

Well, our programming places are much different. I am much stronger in Java and C# than those languages, meaning I really wouldn't program where you do. I am also looking for artists and "musicians", not programmers. I am not an artist myself, best I have done is a simple clicker game background (pic here (https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/328945241614974996/352521271164010508/Screenshot_2017-08-30-21-33-31.png)). As for sharing what I find, will do! I realised there are many other people that actually want to find others my age.

Skylake78
August 31st, 2017, 05:41 PM
I would consider myself more so a beginner programmer as of now since I just started in the latter half of high school. So far the language I'm most fluent in is VB, followed by HTML and CSS for web development. I've done C# but only a little. I think it's really great to see someone as young as yourself so into programming :)

nobbs66
August 31st, 2017, 10:17 PM
I have some experience with FreeBASIC and C++. I've only really worked 3 major projects(PSX, NES, and CHIP8 emus) I plan on expanding my project base to a 3D game engine with C++ and OpenGL before I graduate with a BS in computer science.