PDA

View Full Version : My friend won't let me talk.

Melodic
August 28th, 2017, 02:12 AM
So. Me & one of my closest friends talk all the time. Which is great.. except lately it seems the conversations tend to drift towards her. It's always the same topic & she seems to obsess over it to the point she repeats the same stories over & over. This has been going on for a week now & I've actually needed advice from her but everytime I try to work it into the conversation, she changes the subject on her before I get to the point of what I want to ask her. She usually is better at conversing & I don't know how to tell her to shut up politely.

Any ideas?

mick01
August 28th, 2017, 02:42 PM
If it were me I'd say to the friend "I really need your advice on something. Could you listen to my story without interrupting and tell me what you think?"

Vermilion
August 28th, 2017, 03:26 PM
Like above either say that or maybe be a bit more forceful like stop talking I need your help

jamie_n5
August 29th, 2017, 12:54 PM
I totally agree. You need to be up front and honest. Just nicely tell her you need to talk to her and need her advice. You could also politely tell her that the other subject has been about beaten to death and it would be nice to move on to other subjects.

ska8er
August 29th, 2017, 08:19 PM
Tell her u will listen to what she
has to say but u also have things
on ur mind. Can she at least for a
moment hear u out.

Just JT
August 29th, 2017, 09:17 PM
Ask her if she's listening to what she's saying

NewLeafsFan
August 29th, 2017, 10:49 PM
If you think that your friend would be offended if you were extremely honest with her you could try texting her when you're not with her. It's easier to take control of a conversation that way.

Also, if your friend is going through a difficult time right now and she would benefit from counselling kindly suggest it to her.