PDA

View Full Version : Mental Health Evaluation

Sailor Mars
August 27th, 2017, 11:56 AM
So I've recently been thinking of going out to a psychiatrist or mental health clinic to get tested for some things (officially) like anxiety and depression and what not. I'm kind of nervous though cuz I'm goin to go ask if I need to have a parent or something w me (which I'm almost certain I do) n if I do get tested, will the information be shared.

If I do get tested for like depression or smth they're almost certain to ask if ive self harmed or had suicidal thoughts n I kinda need to b honest abt that but I really do not want my parents to know that it's that bad. Hell I don't want my parents to know anything is bad in the first place, tbh. I want to go get help n see what my options are for getting better b it therapy or medication or just anything I can try, but I also don't want my parents to know cuz they're almost certainly gonna be annoying and make a huge deal about everything when I just want support and a pat on the back, Not long ass conversations about feelings n shit

Any tips or smth of what I shud do? I'm gonna go by the clinic in a day or two (heck maybe today idk) and see what's up, n if I do need to bring a parent or smth which prolly do then :/

nebula
August 27th, 2017, 12:29 PM
I'm not sure if it's the same in the US as it is in the UK, but when you reach 16 years of age (it might even be younger than that) doctors and/or psychiatrists are obliged to follow your requests especially when it comes to confidentiality.

That rule is only breached when you are a danger to yourself and are posed as a suicidal risk. If you're still a recent selfharmer then well they may pose that as a suicidal risk but if it's more something in the past they may not take it so seriously. I'm almost certain over 16s can be unaccompanied as well, I know that if you're younger you had to bring someone over 18 to be there but I think you'll be fine going unaccompanied. That's the general rule for most doctors practices I think.

When you go to a therapist it's usually hard to open up the first couple times, at the end of the day they are a stranger to you. But as you build more of a familiarity with each other you will feel more open and comfortable.

I would definitely recommend going there in a time when you're stable emotionally, and you're not too anxious. Give it a lot of time to get there and make sure you're ready etc. Do whatever you need to do to stay calm before going in.

And of course therapists and consultants aren't mind readers. They aren't going to know things unless you tell them. If you leave out some vital things they may suggest things that aren't going to help. This means that you really do have to tell the truth and don't avoid saying certain things. Maybe if you explain your parents and how you don't want them to know maybe they can give you some advice for that too.

jamie_n5
August 27th, 2017, 08:41 PM
I think devotionnel is right about confidentiality. Most doctor patient issues are confidential. The main thing is to get in and get some help regardless. You are doing great by wanting to reach out for help and know that you have a problem. I wish you the best of luck and just do it man get the help you need.