PDA

View Full Version : before you self harmed what was your opinion?

Sere
August 20th, 2017, 11:41 PM
Before you started self harming what were your opinions on it? Now?
I thought it was pointless and I didn't understand.
But now I do.

devotionnel
August 21st, 2017, 04:20 AM
I definitely thought the same as you. I thought of all the misconceptions of selfharm and took them seriously before I started doing it, i.e. only "emos" do it, you can stop right away, it's attention seeking. I was definitely not in my right mind the first time I did it and now it's me that constantly rolls my eyes when I hear people stereotype harmers.

Like any other addiction there is a lot of stigma around it and it's quite a taboo to discuss with others, so a lot of people add fuel to the fire by prejudging harmers when that's certainly not okay. Mental health is definitely making a massive breakthrough publicly to help reduce stigma, and it's only a matter of time until self harming begins to surface on their campaigns.

Mars
August 21st, 2017, 07:15 AM
I never thought about it before doing it, actually. The way it was introduced to me was really glorified, and the person had put it as if it was their lifeline and on a pedestal. This made me wanna try it and it was just like "this hurts wtf. I'm already hurting why am I hurting myself more, this is dumb" type of thing, so I stopped soon after. It never worked as an outlet for me, but I can see how it can easily become an addiction for some (not personally see it, but in a general outlook). Self harm also comes in way more forms than just cutting though. Some more destructive than others, but all destructive nonetheless. It's definitely a problem in our generation (especially our generation) due to the societal pressures and stresses. I think I read an article or saw a video saying that if you asked millenials or younger, a large majority have said they've done it, try it, or still do it. So it's scary to think about as a problem but due to its large scale usage as an outlet, like devotionnel said, I can see it breaking through on mental health campaigns.

Dalcourt
August 21st, 2017, 12:45 PM
Before you started self harming what were your opinions on it? Now?
I thought it was pointless and I didn't understand.
But now I do.

For me hurting myself was always a part of my life. I am not that sort of self-harmer who started during to depression in their teenage years. Due to mental health problems I was kinda born with I hurt myself as long as I can remember.

Even as a toddler when I was upset or stressed about anything I scratched myself till I started bleeding...hit my head or whatever else came to my mind to hurt myself.

To make a long story short I always self-harmed even before I knew that this was an actual thing and therefore never really had an opinion on it before.

Lunarmoon
August 22nd, 2017, 07:39 AM
I never really thought of self harming as a outlet. It wasn't until one of my friends started doing it I began to consider it. I was really young when I first cut and It was over something super petty. I just saw other people doing it and thought to try it. I didn't get anything out of it however and saw it as a pointless way to get attention.
It was only when I got older and went through some a really hard time I began to understand. When I was in so much pain and couldn't think about anything else, I was just consumed with hurt and sadness, I needed that release. I don't know if that makes sense or not. I just felt like it was an escape when I would focus on that pain and for a moment forget about other things.

xXl0sth0peXx
August 22nd, 2017, 02:57 PM
i honestly don't even remember being aware that it was a thing.. like it kind of just happened, and then i kind of was made aware what was happening.. like i was always aware that it was something to hide, and subconsciously aware of it and that it wasn't good i guess, but yeah. i don't remember thinking about it ever, positively or negatively before i started.

it's a sensitive subject, one that like a lot of others, i try to avoid talking about. maybe not the best, because that's where stigma comes into play, but it is what it is.

Babs
August 22nd, 2017, 03:04 PM
I thought it was weird, pointless, and fucked up. I deviated from that opinion during my self-harming years but now I believe that it's weird pointless and fucked up, although I have a better understanding of the psychology behind it.

impossiblemindset
October 9th, 2017, 03:42 AM
"If school hurts worse than this, I was right and I am being tortured," I don't really cut, but I don't get why people don't know that about hurting yourself, they didn't really let me
talk at school?
they scared the fuck out of me, I can't go back I guess, I don't really know

Michael75
October 10th, 2017, 04:27 PM
Same as you. Never understood it, always thought that it didn't make sense. Couldn't get my head round it. Now i understand

Sublime Demonz
October 10th, 2017, 06:50 PM
I don't really remember having a opinion on it before I did it. My friends had done it, my best friend at the time was in really deep with it. I saw what it did to her mentally and emotionally, how she was using it as an escape but really it was this neverending cycle. I swore to myself I'd never do it, and then I did later that year. That was nearly 6 years ago.

I've never been able to completely shake the habit or the thoughts of it, and I doubt I ever will.