PDA

View Full Version : Addressing Male Teachers as Sir

Riley2015
August 20th, 2017, 02:43 PM
At school do you address male teachers at Sir? Even though we are supposed to do it some of the boys at my school don't. The ones who do address them Sir, which includes me, are seen as wimps and teachers pet lol. I have always addressed male teachers as Sir at all times even at primary school. I'm not going to break the habit after all this time and i actually think it sucks when other boys are trying to mock me or other boys for doing it, why does it bother to them? They have a choice not to say it (even though they should) and those of us showing our teachers some respect have the choice to do it without getting a hard time for it.

Endeavour
August 20th, 2017, 02:56 PM
Yes, at my school we are expected to refer to male teachers as 'Sir'. The vast majority of people do so, though they don't mind if we call them 'Mr X' or whatever.

Riley2015
August 20th, 2017, 03:05 PM
Yes, at my school we are expected to refer to male teachers as 'Sir'. The vast majority of people do so, though they don't mind if we call them 'Mr X' or whatever.

Its expected at mine too but quite a fair number of boys (i'm at an all boys) don't bother and the teachers seem to let it slip. I would never speak to a teacher without calling them Sir it but that's just me.

bougainvillea
August 20th, 2017, 03:24 PM
Yeah, we often do it at my school too, or especially if I don't know them as well. I'll refer to female teachers as "miss" too. As I get to know them it gradually turns to "mr/miss/mrs ___" so it feels less cold and empty, sounds weird but it's hard to explain. With some of the teachers I'm pally with I, along with some of my classmates, can just refer to them as their last name without the formality and they let it slide. I will use the formality if there's other authority in the room, though, so it doesn't come off as disrespectful.

Riley2015
August 20th, 2017, 03:41 PM
I'll refer to female teachers as "miss" too.

Oh yeah i call female teachers Miss as well, but there arent as many female teachers at my school as there are males and the boys tend to behave a bit more respectfully around the female teachers.

lliam
August 20th, 2017, 04:08 PM
When I was on exchange at an English school, somewhere in Devon, my host brother said he only use "Sir" if he isn't very familiar with some teachers.

I always adressed teachers with Mister or Miss + their Names. No teacher ever corrected me. Not even the headmisstress.

Some of my classmates claimed it may be that I had the bonus of an exchange student.

How this is handled at my new school, I still have to figure it out. There I'm not an exchange student, but a regular (so called international) student.

SethfromMI
August 20th, 2017, 06:01 PM
I always referred to them as Mr. from elementary-high school. Now that I am in college I call usually call them Professor/Dr.

Just JT
August 20th, 2017, 06:37 PM
I've always used Mr or Mrs. but when I started in HS the shops are pretty relaxed. Some shop teachers introduce themselves by their first name and that's what every calls them. Was really weird. Some we just call them by last name like we are called by them. But that's the male shop teachers. FemaleTeachers are always addressed as Mrs. no exceptions.
Weird I know but...it's cool

Dalcourt
August 20th, 2017, 10:03 PM
At my school everyone says Sir/Ma'am mostly, except if the teacher tells you otherwise.

The Byrd
August 22nd, 2017, 06:53 AM
I never address teachers - or anyone for that matter - by their name so 'sir' does it for me. It's basic manners, really. Nothing to do with being a "teacher's pet."

jamie_n5
August 22nd, 2017, 05:46 PM
I have always addressed male teachers as Sir and female as Ma'am. I also do this as a habit from work to all adults. I work as a waiter so it goes with the job.

Drewboyy
August 22nd, 2017, 07:23 PM
A lot of people are saying that they actually use sir and ma'am for their teachers. I only use those words to address people older than me whose name I don't know, and when I'm trying to be polite.

Just JT
August 22nd, 2017, 09:11 PM
Well...there's actually a few other names I've used to address some teachers
But those never went over to great either

Matryoshkasystem
August 22nd, 2017, 10:24 PM
SInce were in the South-or at least Alabama- most of the male teacher are also Coaches. so we usaully just say Coach-insert name-. If not we say Mr. . In fact i never heard of needing to use Sir or Mam to a teacher. It always Mr. or Ms./Mrs. when we adress our teachers.

In fact the only time we say SIr or Mam is if we don't know the persons name, or we don't know them well. or we are just saying "Yes Mam, No Sir".

logan2002
August 26th, 2017, 03:10 PM
It is all ways Mister Mrs, or Ms. The coaches are some times called coach.

RainbowLove
August 28th, 2017, 04:59 AM
What's funny is that they don't actually understand the meaning of Sir, and it shouldn't be used in schools/restaurants/shops/etc the way it is. It is the male equivalent to Dame, and you're SUPPOSED to have an entitlement to the title to use it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir#Entitlement

Flapjack
August 28th, 2017, 05:04 AM
Yeahhh it my school everyone called them Sir because it was too much effort to use Mr. Whatever, however in sixth form we did use first name for some teachers

The kids that call you whimps for addressing them as Sir, what do they address teachers as??

Seraph
August 29th, 2017, 04:23 AM
One should address a teacher as 'Sir', because calling them so is a significance of your respect for them.

And to add: it's much more fatiguing to call them by their names than by calling them by a simple one-syllable word. I don't know if there is anyone in my school who calls the teachers as 'Mr.X' or something like that, save for when we are discussing amongst ourselves and we need the names to specify which 'Sir' we are talking about. Same goes for female teachers as 'Ma'am'.

Furthermore, teachers feel a sense of respect when someone addresses to them as 'Sir'. I know how it feels, because there are kids who sometimes call me 'Sir' when I help my mother teach the students.

bojack
August 30th, 2017, 10:49 AM
I don't think I've ever called a teacher sir, unless as a joke. My school just has everyone call the teachers by their first names

chomoto123
August 30th, 2017, 10:52 AM
I think you're not wrong
You're just respecting him

Doaifhdoaoxjdoa
August 30th, 2017, 12:30 PM
My secondary school was quite formal so we used "sir" and "miss". But at sixth form (high school) we use Mr/Miss________

Akksksosppapapwpee
August 30th, 2017, 03:08 PM
Uh when i was in public school we could call them whatever we want

jms2000
August 31st, 2017, 02:58 PM
I don't think I've ever called a teacher sir, unless as a joke. My school just has everyone call the teachers by their first names

Wow. Here we call teachers Sir or Miss , never first names !

Uniquemind
August 31st, 2017, 10:04 PM
Mr., Mrs., and Ms. are all I ever use.

I know in some private academy schools it's different.

user-999
September 1st, 2017, 11:08 AM
Here we just call teachers by "Teacher", I've never heard in my country someone referring to a teacher in some other way, sometimes if there could be confusion we would say "Teacher (Name)".
I think the reasoning behind not calling them sir. or with anything before their name is because of the soviet union, because it would remind the German times when Latvians and other nations were the servants and farmers while Germans were the noble ones. But in Soviet times everyone was equal so why should someone be named higher than someone else.
In conclusion, I can' t really comment on whether it's right or wrong. I think that some boys might find it funny is because it seems like an old time thing to say.

Alisha_
September 30th, 2017, 02:46 PM
At my school everyone says Sir/Ma'am mostly, except if the teacher tells you otherwise.

This has been my experience too, very few I've had have let it slip if you call the mr/mrs unless you are quite close to the teacher.

MissMolly
October 1st, 2017, 11:02 PM
I go to public school, and it is always Mr., Mrs. Or Ms. (Though there are a couple who get called Dr.)

Jadennow
October 2nd, 2017, 12:36 AM
I've always called my teachers Mr. Mrs. or Miss, then last name. Just started high school this year and it still seems to be the same.

Jamie48169
October 2nd, 2017, 07:20 PM
My school uses Mr. Ms. or Mrs. as the proper title. We do have a school within the district that, as a form of community, requires students to call their teachers by their first name. I could not handle that. First names are used to reference friends. I don't even call my friends parents by their first name.

Falcons_11
October 23rd, 2017, 03:29 PM
Since I was a little kid my parents taught me to address all non-relative adults as Mister (Sir) or Ms. (Ma'am). At my school the Handbook tells us to address our teachers in the same fashion. We can't address the teachers by their first or last names.

Nikki_1
December 11th, 2017, 02:22 PM
We call our male teachers Sir and our female teachers Miss, i guess its just a mark of respect for them.

ncraw
December 14th, 2017, 10:32 PM
At my school all male teachers are sir and female teachers are miss.

gdude
January 4th, 2018, 01:55 AM
I just straight up say there part name i never said mr ir whatever

Anthony17
January 16th, 2018, 02:17 AM
I know plenty of professors and teachers who like to be called sir or ma'am, and plenty who would think you're being sarcastic or cute with him.

Artful
January 16th, 2018, 02:38 AM
Ever since I started studying I called all my teachers/professors "Sir" or "Ma'am" except ones that I'm really close with to the point we'd call each other in a nickname-basis.

TheDudeJ
January 16th, 2018, 08:36 AM
in my school it's "Sir" and either "Miss" or "Ma'am"

TWDjacob
January 17th, 2018, 12:14 AM
We always just say mr/ miss/ Mrs. I've only ever heard one person call a teacher sir and I've never heard a student say ma'am

Jonhyboy01
May 6th, 2018, 11:14 PM
I usually address my teachers as Mr. or Mrs. because it's out of respect for them.

Dalcourt
May 6th, 2018, 11:42 PM
I usually address my teachers as Mr. or Mrs. because it's out of respect for them.

Please don't post in threads with more than two months inactivity

:locked: