PDA

View Full Version : Van Crashes Into Crowd in Barcelona

mattsmith48
August 17th, 2017, 11:42 AM
A van crashed into dozens of people in Barcelona's historic Las Ramblas district on Thursday and several people were injured, police in the Spanish city said. Police described the incident on Twitter as a "massive crash."

Emergency services said people should not go to the area, and requested the closure of nearby train and metro stations.

Spain's El Pais newspaper, citing police sources, said at least one was dead and 20 injured. Police are treating the incident as a terror attack, the paper said.

Two suspects are holed up in a bar, the police sources said.

In a photograph shown by public broadcaster RTVE, three people were lying on the ground in the street Thursday afternoon and were apparently being helped by police and others.

El Pais quoted unnamed police sources as saying the perpetrators of the crash were holed up in a bar in Tallers Street. There was no immediate police confirmation of the report.

Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said on Thursday he was in contact with authorities after the incident. Rajoy said on Twitter the priority was to attend to the injured.
Las Ramblas, a street of stalls and shops that cuts through the center of Barcelona, is one of the city's top tourist destinations. People walk down a wide, pedestrian path in the center of the street, but cars can travel on either side.

While full details of the crash were not immediately clear, since July 2016 vehicles have been used to ram into crowds in a series of militant attacks across Europe, killing well over 100 people in Nice, Berlin, London and Stockholm.

In recent weeks, threatening graffiti against tourists has appeared in Barcelona, which draws at least 11 million visitors a year.

In one video released under the slogan "Tourism kills neighbourhoods," several hooded individuals stopped a tourist bus in Barcelona, slashed the tires and spray-painted the windscreen.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/barcelona-car-crash-1.4251171

Still not a lot of details on who did it and why, but it looks like it was people against tourism who did it.

Voice_Of_Unreason
August 17th, 2017, 12:12 PM
The details are muddy, but regardless of motive, this is a horrendous act.

Also, there are at least 13 confirmed dead now, will probably still rise.

Sailor Mars
August 17th, 2017, 02:43 PM
ISIS is now claiming responsibility, but I don't think it was them. A lot of times shit like this will happen and they say oh yeah it was us just to further strike fear into people and be dickheads. I'm not sayin nothin till I know all the info about the guy who did it

Voice_Of_Unreason
August 17th, 2017, 02:55 PM
ISIS is now claiming responsibility, but I don't think it was them. A lot of times shit like this will happen and they say oh yeah it was us just to further strike fear into people and be dickheads. I'm not sayin nothin till I know all the info about the guy who did it

Yea, ISIS claims just about every terrorist attack as their own, even if it wasn't. They do that to boost their own fear factor, as many people believe it. In my opinion though, I wouldn't trust that claim until we get more info.

Gumleaf
August 17th, 2017, 03:55 PM
Thanks for posting everyone. I just got up and have been watching Sky News for 10mins and they still haven't said what has happened, just showing hysteria from Barcelona and I was left to try and put the pieces together. Again, another tragic attack. In Melbourne and Sydney bollards are used to try and reduce risk of this type of attack at major locations, but quite frankly, how can you stop this?

Bull
August 17th, 2017, 03:55 PM
Too many crazy people in today's world including some so called national leaders!

EDIT: Red may only be used by moderators. ~Jinglebottom

Snowfox
August 17th, 2017, 05:02 PM
It was revealed that Driss Oukabir was attacker. Moroccoan terrorist who has been left to walk free in sake of tolerance. So No we keep doing what we have been doing every time muslim terrorist acts. which is nothing

Jinglebottom
August 17th, 2017, 05:10 PM
Yea, ISIS claims just about every terrorist attack as their own, even if it wasn't. They do that to boost their own fear factor, as many people believe it. In my opinion though, I wouldn't trust that claim until we get more info.
To be honest, even if the perpetrator isn't an actual ISIS member, we can safely assume that he's been inspired by all the Islamist propaganda that ISIS is spreading worldwide, which gives them an indirect role in the attack. That makes sense. He could just be another "lone wolf" attacker.

Voice_Of_Unreason
August 17th, 2017, 05:28 PM
To be honest, even if the perpetrator isn't an actual ISIS member, we can safely assume that he's been inspired by all the Islamist propaganda that ISIS is spreading worldwide, which gives them an indirect role in the attack. That makes sense. He could just be another "lone wolf" attacker.

Yea, I am pretty sure of that. I'm just saying that ISIS probably didn't have any direct connections to this attack. Their propaganda is certainly encouraging this though.

Exocet
August 17th, 2017, 05:47 PM
"Peace and love stronger than terrorism ".

My @ss. Only a 7.62 bullet is "stronger than terrorism". I get sick of all the "pray for" and the candles. Special situations require special responses and means. Victims don't want your prayers or candles,they want action.

Jinglebottom
August 18th, 2017, 10:54 AM
It was revealed that Driss Oukabir was attacker. Moroccoan terrorist who has been left to walk free in sake of tolerance. So No we keep doing what we have been doing every time muslim terrorist acts. which is nothing
Your country was just attacked :eek:

Voice_Of_Unreason
August 18th, 2017, 01:12 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/05/23/world/europe/europe-terror-attacks.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

http://thefederalistpapers.integratedmarket.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/17496159_1468094669878026_729508221_n.jpg

Over 330 innocent Europeans have died since 2015 from Islamic terror attacks. What exactly are the governments of Europe doing to stop this? Nothing. People say that I am exaggerating things by this meme when I first posted it back in 2016, but after at least 3 more major terror attacks with the exact same (non-)reaction, can you really say that I am exaggerating? We need to do something about this, love does not beat terrorism, power and force does.

It's really sad how people here and especially all the media try to justify what happend, try to blame the innocent and are too coward to call out all those ____________ for what they really are. Wise words. We need to stop blaming the West for terror, and we need to call out these terrorists for what they truly are, as well as the ideology that fuels their hatred. Doubtful it would happen though, politicians are too afraid to lose a voting base and the media is in the hands of those politicians, so it won't happen.

Sailor Mars
August 18th, 2017, 01:52 PM
PlasmaHam idk but what do u think we can do about this? I'm all for stopping terrorism and shit but like, we failed at stopping it at the source, still failing... People who want to get away are mixed with people who want to do more harm. We're at a standstill :/

mattsmith48
August 18th, 2017, 02:32 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/05/23/world/europe/europe-terror-attacks.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

image (http://thefederalistpapers.integratedmarket.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/17496159_1468094669878026_729508221_n.jpg)

Over 330 innocent Europeans have died since 2015 from Islamic terror attacks. What exactly are the governments of Europe doing to stop this? Nothing. People say that I am exaggerating things by this meme when I first posted it back in 2016, but after at least 3 more major terror attacks with the exact same (non-)reaction, can you really say that I am exaggerating? We need to do something about this, love does not beat terrorism, power and force does.

Because pointless military intervention in the Middle East and the war on terror have been so successful and did not made thing worst.

Snowfox
August 18th, 2017, 02:46 PM
Your country was just attacked :eek:

Yes stabbing in Turku. 2 dead 6 injured. Attacker shouted allahu akbar while doing it. Attacker didnt act alone. Was asylum seeker (not sure yet), Muslim (thats known). Minister of interior says this is not terrorism. Political correctness ensures that nothing will be done.

Dalcourt
August 18th, 2017, 03:43 PM

image (http://thefederalistpapers.integratedmarket.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/17496159_1468094669878026_729508221_n.jpg)

Wise words. We need to stop blaming the West for terror, and we need to call out these terrorists for what they truly are, as well as the ideology that fuels their hatred. Doubtful it would happen though, politicians are too afraid to lose a voting base and the media is in the hands of those politicians, so it won't happen.
So what exactly do you and Snowfox want to to to stop terrorism in the world?
I feel it would be really interesting to hear not only for me but for the whole world.

Snowfox
August 19th, 2017, 02:13 PM
Peanut_ I can answer from my part only.
First is to stop blaming yourself and your country and west or east or what ever. Terrorism is not here because polarbears are nasty or because west is west. There is only one who is guilty and its terrorist. This self flagellation and giving up to terrorists demands has to stop before we can stop terrorism.

Secondly values. Certain groups of people from certain cultures do not fit together well. It should be clear to anyone. Individual can fit anywhere if individual wants to but people in general carry their cultural set of values with them. WIth some groups from totally different parts of world this is not problem. I could put example of Vietnamese people/Chinese/etc in west but in other hand we have groups who have set of values that have nothing to do with our western values. not to mix people who dont get along is good starting point.

3rd i think.... Terrorists themself they dont fear death. But their group of people do. Also what drives them is that we have been giving to their demands. Absolute brutal asnwer should be given to every attack. Like what happened in Barcelona ansver should be carpet bombing Rabat until Rabat is funeral pyre. Total destruction of all harbors of north africa and sinking of all ships there should stop illegal immigration.
They dont understand any other language. Brutal violence is what they understand.
Sending them all away from west works too. With force if necessary.

Any questions

Dalcourt
August 19th, 2017, 05:14 PM
First is to stop blaming yourself and your country and west or east or what ever. Terrorism is not here because polarbears are nasty or because west is west. There is only one who is guilty and its terrorist. This self flagellation and giving up to terrorists demands has to stop before we can stop terrorism.

Secondly values. Certain groups of people from certain cultures do not fit together well. It should be clear to anyone. Individual can fit anywhere if individual wants to but people in general carry their cultural set of values with them. WIth some groups from totally different parts of world this is not problem. I could put example of Vietnamese people/Chinese/etc in west but in other hand we have groups who have set of values that have nothing to do with our western values. not to mix people who dont get along is good starting point.

3rd i think.... Terrorists themself they dont fear death. But their group of people do. Also what drives them is that we have been giving to their demands. Absolute brutal asnwer should be given to every attack. Like what happened in Barcelona ansver should be carpet bombing Rabat until Rabat is funeral pyre. Total destruction of all harbors of north africa and sinking of all ships there should stop illegal immigration.
They dont understand any other language. Brutal violence is what they understand.

Any questions

Sure I would have tons of questions but I won't ask them.

mattsmith48
August 19th, 2017, 06:37 PM

Any questions

I got a question, what the fuck does Rabat as to do with this?

Also just want to point out carpet bombing is a war crime and terrorism. We got years of evidence that fighting terrorism with terrorism does not work.

Snowfox
August 20th, 2017, 01:39 AM
mattsmith48 Rabat is capitol of Morocco. And since Morocco is breeding ground of terrorism... Taking it out would be refreshing. we could also use nukes to take it outor few huge conventional bombs if carpet bombing is not tasty.
Fighting terrorism with total destruction works. Fighting terrorism with doing nothing doesnt work we have years of evidence for that.

mattsmith48
August 20th, 2017, 12:52 PM
mattsmith48 Rabat is capitol of Morocco. And since Morocco is breeding ground of terrorism... Taking it out would be refreshing. we could also use nukes to take it outor few huge conventional bombs if carpet bombing is not tasty.

Morocco is not a breeding ground for terrorist. Also using nuclear weapons is still terrorism and a war crime, try again.

Fighting terrorism with total destruction works. Fighting terrorism with doing nothing doesnt work we have years of evidence for that.

What evidence? We have evidence that the war on terror, or how I like to call it fighting terrorism with terrorism, does not work, it's called not stop bombing of the Middle East for years. What years of evidence that not doing anything does not work and when did we try that?

mattsmith48
August 21st, 2017, 06:15 PM
The police finally found the driver this morning.

Catalan police on Monday shot dead an Islamist militant who killed more than a dozen people with a van in Barcelona last week, ending a four-day manhunt for the perpetrator of Spain's deadliest attack in over a decade.

Police said they tracked 22-year-old Younes Abouyaaqoub to a rural area near Barcelona and shot him after he held up what looked like an explosives belt and shouted "Allahu Akbar" (God is greatest). A bomb squad then used a robot to approach his body.

Abouyaaqoub had been on the run since Thursday, after he drove at high speed into throngs of strollers along Barcelona's most famous avenue, Las Ramblas. After fleeing, he hijacked a car and fatally stabbed its driver, according to police.

Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack, which police believe was planned by a dozen accomplices, including a brother and two first cousins of the Moroccan-born Abouyaaqoub.

"Shortly before 5 p.m., the police shot down Younes Abouyaaqoub, the driver of the van in the attack" in Barcelona, Carles Puigdemont, head of the Catalonia regional government, told a news conference.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/barcelona-driver-search-1.4255275

Exocet
August 22nd, 2017, 04:31 PM
I find funny that no media dares to publish the picture of a young boy lying on the ground,presumed dead in Barcelona,yet shoved Aylan in front of our faces for months to force us to open our borders ?

Dalcourt
August 22nd, 2017, 04:59 PM
I find funny that no media dares to publish the picture of a young boy lying on the ground,presumed dead in Barcelona,yet shoved Aylan in front of our faces for months to force us to open our borders ?

Maybe there was no pic taken of the boy lying dead on the ground since his whereabouts had been unclear from quite some time?
And pics of him laughing happily at the camera making every mother's heart ache can be found everywhere.

The Barcelona attackers had nothing to do with the refugee crisis of two years ago so I don't think it's relevant here anyway.

mattsmith48
August 27th, 2017, 09:52 AM
Hundreds of thousands of peace-marchers flooded the heart of Barcelona on Saturday shouting "I'm not afraid" — a public rejection of violence following extremist attacks that killed 15 people, Spain's deadliest in more than a decade.

Emergency workers, taxis drivers, police and ordinary citizens who helped immediately after the Aug. 17 attack on the city's famed Las Ramblas led the march. They carried a street-wide banner with black capital letters reading "No Tinc Por," which means "I'm not afraid" in the local Catalan language.

The phrase has grown from a spontaneous civic answer to violence into a slogan that Spain's entire political class has unanimously embraced.

Spain's central, regional and local authorities tried to send an image of unity Saturday by walking behind emergency workers, despite earlier criticism that national and regional authorities had not shared information about the attackers well enough with each other.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/barcelona-rally-no-tinc-por-1.4263850

Good on Spain for their great response to the attack last week. I've been saying this for a while now when things like this happen the proper answer is to tell them ''you don't scare us'', instead stupid shit like of ''thoughts and prayers'', and over-reactions like ''we are gonna bomb the shit out of you''.