PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal

jennycakes
August 16th, 2017, 08:18 PM
Last year I suffered a broken ankle that required surgery during a softball game. Is it normal to be afraid to take the field again. Even though the doctors gave me the all clear I'm worried it might happen again. I know that I'm just being silly. But practice begins next week.

Anniebanannie
August 16th, 2017, 08:29 PM
It probably is normal. Like falling off a horse and being afraid to get back on. Maybe talk to your coach about it?

jennycakes
August 16th, 2017, 08:44 PM
I have been in contact with her. She has been very supportive. I'm not letting the fear set me back.

Just JT
August 16th, 2017, 08:49 PM
I'd say pretty normal. I tore my rotator cuff last fall. Nearing the end of my PT now
Did you do PT?
I found it's mostly confidence in what I feel I can do. But found I'm able to do much more than I think. But also, take it slow. That's a big deal, so was mine. It's a joint. I was told might take 12-18 months for a full recovery.
Not sure about an ankle

Anniebanannie
August 16th, 2017, 09:13 PM
I have been in contact with her. She has been very supportive. I'm not letting the fear set me back.

That's great! I bet you're going to have a great year.

jennycakes
August 16th, 2017, 09:52 PM
I'd say pretty normal. I tore my rotator cuff last fall. Nearing the end of my PT now
Did you do PT?
I found it's mostly confidence in what I feel I can do. But found I'm able to do much more than I think. But also, take it slow. That's a big deal, so was mine. It's a joint. I was told might take 12-18 months for a full recovery.
Not sure about an ankle

I did pt too. I have full range. My coach said we'll take it slow.

Just JT
August 17th, 2017, 05:36 AM
I did pt too. I have full range. My coach said we'll take it slow.

That's all you can do. You don't wana ever injury or sprain it. Will only set you back more. Don't do more than you know you can do. Don't push to hard. Slow and steady wins the race

Diana2002
August 18th, 2017, 02:22 PM
take your time with the recovery

jennycakes
August 19th, 2017, 12:31 AM
take your time with the recovery

Thanks Diana

That's all you can do. You don't wana ever injury or sprain it. Will only set you back more. Don't do more than you know you can do. Don't push to hard. Slow and steady wins the race

Thanks JT

Posts merged. Please edit your post next time. ~Jinglebottom

mookie
August 19th, 2017, 01:26 PM
I'd probably be a little afraid too, seems natural a person would be

BlackParadePixie
August 20th, 2017, 03:05 AM
it is normal. I injured myself playing soccer...and then, after thinking I was fully healed (I wasn't) I injured it even worse playing softball, and did some pretty serious damage.
Even though the doctors said I would be able to play again (although not with the same mobility and speed) I ultimately decided not to play competitive sports again.

jennycakes
August 21st, 2017, 08:50 AM
it is normal. I injured myself playing soccer...and then, after thinking I was fully healed (I wasn't) I injured it even worse playing softball, and did some pretty serious damage.
Even though the doctors said I would be able to play again (although not with the same mobility and speed) I ultimately decided not to play competitive sports again.

It must have been a hard decision to stop playing the sports you love. I'm sorry. But I guess it is better to stop than risk further injury.

Cangirl
August 24th, 2017, 09:36 AM
yeah ive been hurt playing soccer or softball too and it can be a little scary going into the same situation. I just try and think its not going to happen again or something like I'm tougher than it lol. Its our bodies being scared of pain so thats normal.

jennycakes
August 24th, 2017, 03:37 PM
yeah ive been hurt playing soccer or softball too and it can be a little scary going into the same situation. I just try and think its not going to happen again or something like I'm tougher than it lol. Its our bodies being scared of pain so thats normal.

Thanks Cangirl. That is the attitude I'm trying to keep. I think once practice begins the fear will disappear

Cangirl
August 24th, 2017, 04:39 PM
Thanks Cangirl. That is the attitude I'm trying to keep. I think once practice begins the fear will disappear

I think so. once you get in game mode anyway :) good luck!

SethfromMI
August 24th, 2017, 07:18 PM
Last year I suffered a broken ankle that required surgery during a softball game. Is it normal to be afraid to take the field again. Even though the doctors gave me the all clear I'm worried it might happen again. I know that I'm just being silly. But practice begins next week.

100% normal. after my first concussion when I was playing football, there was a lot of concern about it happening again. so I completely understand and will say you're not being silly.

but go into practice confident. smart, but confident. if you know what lead up to the injury (and hey, I played sports, I know they happen and sometimes there is nothing you can do about it) try to practice different or whatever. but at the same tie, try not focusing so much about not getting injured that you are too afraid to play. because at that point, you will not be the best player you can be.

try to stay as healthy as you can, practice/play as smart as you can, but at the end of the day, you focusing on possibly getting injured again (and I know personally from playing once it happens once it can happen easier the second time) is not going to help. so relax, take a deep breath, and go out there and practice and play and give it your best