PDA

View Full Version : Operating Systems at Work/School

Cognizant
August 15th, 2017, 06:46 PM
What Operating or Computer Systems does your school or workplace utilize?

At my Grocery Store, we primarily use 3 different computer technologies:

1. Registers: Toshiba SurePOS registers running Toshiba 4690 ACE (basically a proprietary version of Linux with a Java based GUI). They boot from a PXE Server we have in the back of the store.

2. Office Computers/Inventory Management: Windows 7 Enterprise with a network server login from our Corporate offices. That allows me to access the manager account from any computer in the store (and allow multiple logins), so if I wanted to check or print something from the computer, I can do it at the service desk, the managers office, Inventory Control, where ever I happen to be in the store.

3. Telephone system: Cisco CallManager. We have Cisco IP phones for all extensions except the checkout lanes, which use traditional phones on the network. Interestingly, while you can't dial out of the store from the checklane phones, you can still pick up a call that's been parked by someone or by the system.

Endeavour
August 16th, 2017, 06:27 AM
My school uses Windows 7 Enterprise. It's all set up on a server so I can log on to any computer in the school.

We also have some Macs that run on an early version of Mac OS X (not sure which one) that are primarily used for art/design/media type subjects.

devotionnel
August 16th, 2017, 06:40 AM
My school uses Window 7 Professional (even on the a-level art iMacs which makes no sense) and all of my work things are on Windows XP.

Jamiec1130
August 16th, 2017, 11:40 AM
My school uses Windows 7 Enterprise (although that may change soon, not too sure) and Mac OS (I don't know what version, I haven't used the Macs yet). We have domain based user accounts, along with some hidden local accounts that only technology administration knows about (and me ha ha). At home I use everything from 98 SE to 10 and Mac OS 9 to Mac OS Sierra.

Apple_ManPS3
August 16th, 2017, 01:02 PM
I have:
Mac OS High Sierra
Windows 10 Creators Update
Raspian
Debian
Ubuntu

My school has:
Mac OS El Capitan
Windows 10
.NET Servers

My mom’s work has:
Windows 7 Enterprise

My car has:
CarPlay (OS)
Linux (Modified)

Flapjack
August 17th, 2017, 02:39 PM
My school used windows 10 as some software wasn't compatible with windows 7 and my work uses a mix of windows 7 and windows xp despite it being 2017 and all the security risks associated with xp xD

Diana2002
August 18th, 2017, 08:51 AM
Win10 Pro here

CosmicNoodle
August 26th, 2017, 10:23 PM
The hotel I work at uses Macs...with Windows installed...exemplary. The tills however are running Windows Server 2000, you know, that operating system that hasn't been supported for 7 years, and is trusted with enough data to commit identity theft, and is connected to the hotels network.

I hate the entire setup.

TheMatrix
August 27th, 2017, 07:48 PM
Work uses Windows 7 mostly. Some of our signal analyzers run on HP-UX (Agilent products, naturally).

School used Windows 7 as well although they're planning to downgrade to Windows 10.

Skylake78
August 31st, 2017, 06:06 PM
As of about the time I graduated from high school a few months ago, the majority of the computers had been upgraded from Windows 7 Enterprise to Windows 10 Enterprise. All school-owned computers were on a domain centralized out of our province's capital city, so with that of course came the presence of group policies, etc. In addition, each student and staff member had their own private network drive.

In regards to the more internal stuff, such as what server OS they use, I just know that it's one of the older ones, so maybe 2003 (learned this from one of my tech teachers), but perhaps they've upgraded by now.