PDA

View Full Version : It's getting so bad even Greenland is on fire now

mattsmith48
August 10th, 2017, 10:32 AM
For people conspiracy theorist and idiots who still need evidence: Greenland, you know that island in the Atlantic between Canada and Europe often painted in white on maps because its suppose to covered in ice, well its on fire.

http://www.popsci.com/greenland-on-fire

Greenland, where even the capital Nuuk, is located north of the Arctic Circle, is mostly famous for one thing—its ice. This isn’t exactly a surprise given that roughly 80 percent of the nation is covered in frozen water, mostly in the form of glaciers. What is surprising, however, is, that there’s a massive, wildfire burning roughly 90 miles northeast of Sisimiut, a town of 5,500 situated on Greenland’s west coast.

This isn't the only place currently on fire—Popular Science has tracked wildfires across the United States, Canada, and much of Europe and beyond. But in what is already a weird fire season, this may be the most bizarre. Greenland does occasionally have wildfires, but the general consensus is that they’re rare. The 20 percent of Greenland that isn’t ice includes shrubs, bushes, mosses and grasses, which are all prime fuel for the fires if the conditions are right. Generally, the conditions have been wrong, leaving conflagrations few and far between. That seems to be changing.

In recent years, Greenland, like much of the Arctic, has experienced higher than normal temperatures. And, for reasons that remain somewhat elusive, surface water seems to be disappearing on Greenland. The country is drying out. This combination means a normal phenomena—a lighting strike for example—has a better chance not only of setting off a spark, but of that spark igniting an inferno.

According to NASA’s Earth Observatory satellites first detected that there might be a fire in the area on July 31st. Then, over the next week a pair of satellites—Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) and Visible Infrared Imaging Radiometer Suite Suomi NPP—collected daily images of the fire, and they weren't the only ones taking pictures. The Operational Land Imager (OLI) on Landsat 8 captured the high-resolution image of the fire posted above, while the European Space Agency's Sentinel 2 satellite captured the below image...

ShineintheDark
August 10th, 2017, 12:43 PM
Of course this is extremely worrying news and serves as further proff that we need to devote more effort to combatting climate change. However, I'd have to warn you that there really is no arguing with deniers: of they can make it this far with their fingers in their ears, this won't change that.

PlasmaHam
August 10th, 2017, 04:48 PM
mattsmith48, I don't know if you realize this, but fire is not conducive of temperature. A wild fire is dependent upon moisture, not temperature. If moisture levels are equivalent, then the likelihood of a wildfire happening is basically equal across all latitudes. I say this since it appeared in your post that you believed that fire is not possible in cold temperatures, which even a science-minded 5th grader could tell me isn't based in reality.

Wanna talk about science denial? Maybe once you accept evolutionary psychology and bilogical genders, then we could talk more about my science denial.

Babs
August 10th, 2017, 09:08 PM
unstoppable force vs. immovable object: mattsmith48 and plasmaham on climate change

Dalcourt
August 10th, 2017, 09:16 PM
unstoppable force vs. immovable object: mattsmith48 and plasmaham on climate change

Yeah...you're so right...it isn't even worth reading those threads since it's all just really getting old and makes you lose any interest in joining a discussion.

PlasmaHam
August 10th, 2017, 09:26 PM
If you don't like these threads, complain to MattSmith. He is the one who is constantly bringing this up, not me. Tbh his false-collelation climate change threads are getting old. If I wanted to I could spam this forum with anti-climate change news and studies, but I don't want to defile the news forum into ROTW 2.0 like it already has.

Mars
August 10th, 2017, 09:31 PM
Keep this thread on topic. If you do not like the topic, do not reply.

~Mars

Babs
August 10th, 2017, 10:37 PM
I don't want to defile the news forum into ROTW 2.0 like it already has.

perhaps you should try to understand your own role in that transformation. it takes two to argue.

mattsmith48
August 10th, 2017, 11:08 PM
mattsmith48, I don't know if you realize this, but fire is not conducive of temperature. A wild fire is dependent upon moisture, not temperature. If moisture levels are equivalent, then the likelihood of a wildfire happening is basically equal across all latitudes. I say this since it appeared in your post that you believed that fire is not possible in cold temperatures, which even a science-minded 5th grader could tell me isn't based in reality.

Wanna talk about science denial? Maybe once you accept evolutionary psychology and bilogical genders, then we could talk more about my science denial.

Wildfire have happen before in Greenland and other northern countries, if you had clicked on the link and read the rest of the article you would know that the frequency of these fires is increasing and the number of active fires is double of previous record, this is not normal.

The very dry summers and extreme droughts we are getting are elements caused by climate change that makes it more likely for more wildfires to start, but also increase the intensity and speed at which these fires grow.

If you don't like these threads, complain to MattSmith. He is the one who is constantly bringing this up, not me. Tbh his false-collelation climate change threads are getting old. If I wanted to I could spam this forum with anti-climate change news and studies, but I don't want to defile the news forum into ROTW 2.0 like it already has.

This is the 9th climate change related news I've posted since January, I do not post these to spam, or start a debate or prove a point. I keep posting them because everyone here on VT it is our generation who are going to be affected the most by climate change and I think it is important for us to know what climate change related disaster is happening or what milestone or record we broke, no matter if its a major part of Antarctica breaking of or an island make of ice being on fire or at the start of 2018 when I'll post that 2017 was the hottest year on record without an El Niño, it is important to know and care about this.