PDA

View Full Version : The Stars become the first Texas team to oppose bathroom bill

mattsmith48
August 9th, 2017, 05:07 PM
The Dallas Stars have become the first professional sports team in Texas to publicly oppose the controversial “bathroom bill.”

“The Dallas Stars stands strongly opposed to any legislation perceived as discriminatory, including proposed bathroom legislation,” Stars president Jim Lites said in a statement on Wednesday. “We welcome fans from all over the globe, and our roster boasts players from half a dozen countries. Dallas welcomes all, and we welcome all.”

The proposed bill, which has not yet been passed, would require transgender people in Texas to use public restrooms that correspond to the gender on their birth certificates.

The NHL has yet to comment on the matter.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/stars-become-first-texas-team-publicly-oppose-bathroom-bill/

I've talked about this back in February when the NFL and NBA said they would boycott Texas over this bill. The NHL as never commented on this and since they awarded the 2018 Draft to the Stars, I think it's good the team itself is publicly opposing this.

ShineintheDark
August 10th, 2017, 12:42 PM
At the end of the day, as long as transgendered people are respectful and measured in public bathroom, sI don't think it matters too much which they use. I support the Stars' decision to make this statement and hopefully the state will take that into consideration when trying to argue whether this bill would be supported by the masses.

mattsmith48
August 10th, 2017, 11:15 PM
At the end of the day, as long as transgendered people are respectful and measured in public bathroom, sI don't think it matters too much which they use. I support the Stars' decision to make this statement and hopefully the state will take that into consideration when trying to argue whether this bill would be supported by the masses.

Sure its a great statement from the Stars, but its more about their current and potential future fans than changing the mind of politician this is a hockey team in Texas. I'm more into hoping it forces or make Texas teams with more influence like the Cowboys, Mavericks and Spurs to make similar statement, if those teams do it, it as more chance to change the state's mind on this ''issue''.