PDA

View Full Version : Amsterdam Pride / Canal Parade

EvaNL
August 5th, 2017, 02:03 PM
The annual Amsterdam Pride has taken over the city for an entire week again.
Goal of the week is to celebrate diversity.
It used to be called Gay Pride, but it has become MUCH more than just for gays.

Today, the 5th of August 2017, saw the highlight of the week: the Canal Parade.
Eighty (80!) boats go through the canals, celebrating (sexual) diversity. Hundreds of thousands of spectators lined the canals, celebrating together with the people on the boats.

Today, it didn't matter what gender you are, or which gender you fancy. Today was about celebrating that, no matter who you are, you matter. And you're good the way you are. Hetero, gay, lesbian, transgender, bi, people from all over the world, everyone celebrated and had a party. The love was almost tangible! So many hugs, kisses, smiles, laughs.. THAT's what life is all about! :wub:

The police, the army, political parties, religions and several other groups from within the Netherlands and also abroad(!) are present in this festive parade to show their support to the LGBT+ community.
For those who don't know it: yes, non-hetero people can be openly non-hetero in the Dutch police and army (and all other governmental institutions). And why not?

And that is why I love the Netherlands. You can be who you want to be. You can be who you need to be. No matter what race, gender, social background, religion or whatever you are. The important thing is to be yourself!

Celebrate you, celebrate life!

PS: I have no clue how to attach pictures and videos here, but if you go to youtube or google and enter "canal parade 2017", you'll find plenty of impressions :lol:

Endeavour
August 5th, 2017, 02:08 PM
You can be who you want to be. You can be who you need to be. No matter what race, gender, social background, religion or whatever you are. The important thing is to be yourself!

Celebrate you, celebrate life!

This is a great message; I agree that it is very important to be who you want to be and not feel pressured by outdated "expectations" to try to hide your true self.

The annual pride parade in my town was a couple of months ago, unfortunately I didn't get a chance to go this year but hopefully next year I will.

Flapjack
August 5th, 2017, 02:14 PM
Just another reason to love the Netherlands!! Wish I could have gone!!:)

jamie_n5
August 5th, 2017, 06:53 PM
I loved reading your post. It truly shows how people of all walks of life and lifestyles and beliefs can get together for a celebration of life. Thanks for sharing. I hope that spreads to the rest of the world.