PDA

View Full Version : Rental Cars are Gross

PinkFloyd
August 5th, 2017, 09:10 AM
Rental cars are usually nice at first glance, all shiny and new looking, and they get the job done too. They're a reliable form of transportation to use when your main car is in the shop or back at home because you're on vacation.

However, something I learned is that under the surface, they're sooooo grossssssss. I've been in two rental cars from two separate companies in the last two weeks. I had two experiences that were different, but similar in gross-levels.

1. 2016 Nissan Altima, Avis

This car had a faint aroma of Chinese food, but also a very very faint smell of something like a skunk smell, but burnt. weed. But only someone proficient in smelling pot would be able to point it out as that. I was driving the thing around when I dropped a check under the seat, when I went to grab it, My hand graced over something made of really thin metal, and it was jagged too. I grabbed it along with my check only to realize that it was indeed an opened wrapper to a condom! I immediately told my mother who was given the car by Avis, and she took it back to complain. As a result, we got our second, nicer vehicle.

2. 2017 Genesis G80, Alamo (Hyundai Genesis Sedan) This one was WAAAY nicer than that tin can of a Nissan Altima first off. I still felt the need to kinda-sorta inspect it. So I did. I looked under the seat, and with a flashlight, I noticed some very fine greenish/dark green flakes. Some even had some glisten to them. It was weed. I was looking at flakes of good, THC rich marijuana. I, personally found it hilarious, but what the fuck, Alamo? It's not like the weed particles bothered me, a 19 year-old with an iffy moral compass and reckless tendencies, but it would bother the average adult. I don't know, what do you think?

Amethyst Rose
August 5th, 2017, 12:01 PM
I can't say I've had any first-hand experience with rental cars; when my family has taken lengthy trips it's either been with our own car or, if we fly, we just take taxis or walk. Sounds like the companies need to be more thorough in checking the cars between rentals (if they're even doing it at all).

Just JT
August 5th, 2017, 01:36 PM
Lol!! That's nasty!!
They should be cleaning them better.
Makes you wonder what else you've come in contact while touching stuff in the car
Condom wrapper and weed
Huh....
Countless options I'd say

CosmicNoodle
August 9th, 2017, 09:38 PM
On thew topic of finding gross shit, I (work in a hotel bar and) was in the middle of room service when some customer accidentally dropped his towel.

What an interesting piercing he had...

Cognizant
August 15th, 2017, 06:32 PM
Rental cars are usually nice at first glance, all shiny and new looking, and they get the job done too. They're a reliable form of transportation to use when your main car is in the shop or back at home because you're on vacation.

However, something I learned is that under the surface, they're sooooo grossssssss. I've been in two rental cars from two separate companies in the last two weeks. I had two experiences that were different, but similar in gross-levels.

1. 2016 Nissan Altima, Avis

This car had a faint aroma of Chinese food, but also a very very faint smell of something like a skunk smell, but burnt. weed. But only someone proficient in smelling pot would be able to point it out as that. I was driving the thing around when I dropped a check under the seat, when I went to grab it, My hand graced over something made of really thin metal, and it was jagged too. I grabbed it along with my check only to realize that it was indeed an opened wrapper to a condom! I immediately told my mother who was given the car by Avis, and she took it back to complain. As a result, we got our second, nicer vehicle.

2. 2017 Genesis G80, Alamo (Hyundai Genesis Sedan) This one was WAAAY nicer than that tin can of a Nissan Altima first off. I still felt the need to kinda-sorta inspect it. So I did. I looked under the seat, and with a flashlight, I noticed some very fine greenish/dark green flakes. Some even had some glisten to them. It was weed. I was looking at flakes of good, THC rich marijuana. I, personally found it hilarious, but what the fuck, Alamo? It's not like the weed particles bothered me, a 19 year-old with an iffy moral compass and reckless tendencies, but it would bother the average adult. I don't know, what do you think?

Low key impressed they let you rent a car. None of the national chains will rent to me here until I'm 21! It's not an issue now that I have two cars, but when it was just me and my Camry in the shop for the entire day, it was annoying as hell.

Apple_ManPS3
August 15th, 2017, 11:24 PM
I once had a Chevy Cruise but the fan or something was broken and so the engine didn’t cool at all and this meant it was getting hotter and hotter and we were also in a tunnel, so the car could have packed up and even exploded on us (my family).

KatieCO2003
September 3rd, 2017, 02:49 AM
Sooooo... you rented a car in Denver?

PinkFloyd
September 3rd, 2017, 03:57 PM
I once had a Chevy Cruise but the fan or something was broken and so the engine didnít cool at all and this meant it was getting hotter and hotter and we were also in a tunnel, so the car could have packed up and even exploded on us (my family).

Ah, a good ole GM deathtrap

Sooooo... you rented a car in Denver?

You'd think so, but it was Minneapolis :lol:

adtse
October 25th, 2017, 03:53 PM
Yeah that sounds real nasty. Supposedly the rental car companies are to vacuum the cars, throw away all trash, and wash the car before the car is rented out. I think they must have forgot to vacuum the bottom of the seats. I personally haven't had an experience with a dirty rental car.

PinkFloyd
October 31st, 2017, 04:13 PM
Yeah that sounds real nasty. Supposedly the rental car companies are to vacuum the cars, throw away all trash, and wash the car before the car is rented out. I honk they must have forgot to vacuum the bottom of the seats. I personally haven't had an experience with a dirty rental car.

Yeah, I'm sure the person in charge of cleaning the cars doesn't really care about getting in all the nooks and crannies because honestly, These large rental companies have tons and tons of cars that all bounce around the country, making it so that the minimum-wage car detailer that originally missed the weed under the seat wouldn't get in trouble because the car couldn't be traced back to him at his location in Burnsville, Minnesota because the car got returned in Kansas City, MO.

adtse
October 31st, 2017, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I'm sure the person in charge of cleaning the cars doesn't really care about getting in all the nooks and crannies because honestly, These large rental companies have tons and tons of cars that all bounce around the country, making it so that the minimum-wage car detailer that originally missed the weed under the seat wouldn't get in trouble because the car couldn't be traced back to him at his location in Burnsville, Minnesota because the car got returned in Kansas City, MO.

I was once at rental car garage in San Francisco, CA and I saw a tow truck tow away a crashed rental car, from the rental car center. It was a sedan, not sure what brand it was.