PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping with Eyes Open

Seraph
August 2nd, 2017, 12:15 PM
Is it normal for a teenager to sleep with eyes open?

I never knew that I slept with my eyes open, until my friend told me when he woke up this morning (we spent the night together) when he said that my eyes were wide open. Obviously, I was not conscious then, but he said that I was staring at him with my eyes unclosed, and I was 'as still as death'.

I asked my parents whether I always slept like this or not but they said that they never paid attention, but I did sleep with my eyes open when I was an infant.

I blink much rarely, but my vision is perfect. I am physically healthy with very few ailments, I require no glasses. I however do feel a bit uncomfortable in bright light and when water enters my eyes.

tdog123
August 2nd, 2017, 08:09 PM
That's normal occasionally, but if it happens often you may be having a problem with nocturnal lagophthalmos–sleeping with your eyes partially (or fully) open. It may just sound like a bizarre little quirk, but it could potentially lead to major problems with your eye health.

mick01
August 3rd, 2017, 03:28 PM
I didn't know it was possible to sleep with your eyes open.

Seraph
August 4th, 2017, 03:17 AM
I didn't know it was possible to sleep with your eyes open.

Yeah, well... me neither, until I learned that I do so myself.

jamie_n5
August 4th, 2017, 03:04 PM
I would think it is abnormal to sleep with your eyes open. Doesn't it dry them out and bother you? I would ask your optometrist about this. About sunlight most people are somewhat bothered about bright sunlight. Just get a pair or good sunglasses.

Seraph
August 4th, 2017, 03:21 PM
Doesn't it dry them out and bother you?

Not at all, I can't feel a thing. I don't have any problems with my eyes and I do not need glasses or contacts, doctors say I'm perfectly healthy.

jamie_n5
August 4th, 2017, 03:42 PM
Well then I guess sleeping with your eyes open is normal for you. I wouldn't be concerned about it if your doctors say it's no big deal.

Seraph
August 7th, 2017, 02:08 AM
The doctors are saying my eyes are perfectly normal, they know nothing about the open eyes phenomenon.

Pepito
August 7th, 2017, 03:37 AM
I'm actually surprised. Never heard of humans sleeping with opened eyes. But then again i am not an optometrist. Did you go to one? Or just a normal doctor?