PDA

View Full Version : Texas teen faces 10 years in jail after lying about being raped

Living For Love
July 31st, 2017, 01:03 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/texas-teen-hit-felony-charges-making-rape-article-1.3361263

A Texas teen has been hit with felony charges for falsely claiming that she was kidnapped and raped by three black men in March, authorities say.

Breana Harmon, 19, had told Denison cops that she had been raped by two assailants while a third person held her down, according to the Herald Democrat. She later admitted to making up the entire story.

Harmon initially said she had been taken into the woods by suspects in ski masks. She told authorities that the men threatened to sexually assault her again if they caught her, according to the newspaper. The teen had run into a church wearing only a shirt, bra and underwear.

However, cuts on jeans that were found did not match the cuts on her legs, and a nurse did not find evidence of sexual assault when she examined Harmon, according to the Herald Democrat. Cops also found that the teen had deleted Snapchat before the alleged attack.

Later in March, the Denison teen admitted to authorities that "things from her past started going through her head" and she had "began cutting herself and her jeans," according to the newspaper. She said she made up the attacks because she did not want her mother to know she cut herself.

Harmon was indicted this week on felony charges after initially only been hit with a misdemeanor. She is charged with tampering with physical evidence and tampering with a government record.

"The more we have looked at what happened in this case, and considered the harm it caused, and certainly could have caused, we believe what she did fits these higher charges," Grayson County District Attorney Joe Brown said in a statement. "What she did was very serious, and we believe it was felony conduct."

Harmon faces up to 10 years in prison.

10 years in prison seems exaggerated, in my opinion, but cases like this are becoming more frequent. False rape accusations ruin the lives of innocent men and makes it harder for real rape victims to be taken seriously.

Drewboyy
July 31st, 2017, 01:40 PM
Well they probably should start punishing people a little harder for false rape accusations a little harder so women think twice about ruining men's lives forever.

It looks like the charge for falsely accusing the men was only a misdemeanor and the prison sentence came form tampering with evidence and govt. record though

Coolteenboy
July 31st, 2017, 02:02 PM
I totally agree w L. F. L.
In addition to making those who have been assaulted, etc (all crimes included) more difficult to be taken seriously,
It takes away so many resources and attention from those cases that are legitimate, and from those people who NEED the police to investigate and help them.
Yes, ten years is dicey. Perhaps 5 years mandatory mental health care would be more helpful.
But false accusations HAVE TO STOP.
If nothing else, this sends a crystal clear message!

Flapjack
July 31st, 2017, 02:09 PM
10 years is crazy harsh!! In my opinion she should receive a year at most for wasting police time and be forced to pay for all police costs involved and pay compensation to the victim.

False rape accusations are terrible, they ruin victims lives and make it so when a real rape victim comes forward, she is less likely to be believed.

PlasmaHam
July 31st, 2017, 03:03 PM
Good sign in my opinion. 10 years does seem a bit harsh, I think other false-rape accusation sentences are only around 2-4 years, but if the court found that a worthy sentence, then so be it.

False rape accusations, while small (about 5-10% of total rape accusations) is still a major issue. Even if the accused is found to be innocent before a court of law, there is irreparable damage done against him in both his social and work life. I've heard stories of men being being kicked from school and/or losing their job due to false accusations. When it comes to rape, instead of the innocent proven guilty, we as a society treat it as guilty until proven innocent, which isn't how we should in America. I am glad that the Trump administration has realized this, and that both the Education and Justice departments are working to mitigate the issue of false rape accusations.

Dalcourt
July 31st, 2017, 08:30 PM
It's a good thing that people lying about serious stuff like that should get harsh punishment.
But knowing how our justice system works I'm sure she will never have to spend even a single year in prison.

SethfromMI
July 31st, 2017, 09:18 PM
10 years is crazy harsh!! In my opinion she should receive a year at most for wasting police time and be forced to pay for all police costs involved and pay compensation to the victim.

False rape accusations are terrible, they ruin victims lives and make it so when a real rape victim comes forward, she is less likely to be believed.

what happens if the innocent man got sent to jail? it would have wrecked his entire life. I doubt she will actually spend all ten years, but maybe if you try to literally wreck someone's entire life, there needs to be a harsh punishment. it will hopefully deter others from trying to make false claims. we're not talking about a trial where the defendant was found not-guilty. we're talking about a woman who made a bogus claim. one year isn't hardly anything.

the one thing I would possibly consider with yours is how much compensation would the falsely accused actually receive? if it is a significant amount, I would def be willing to factor that in.

Just JT
July 31st, 2017, 09:21 PM
Well they probably should start punishing people a little harder for false rape accusations a little harder so women think twice about ruining men's lives forever.

It looks like the charge for falsely accusing the men was only a misdemeanor and the prison sentence came form tampering with evidence and govt. record though

I know this case is about male rapist and a female victim. But don't forget that not all repast are male and Nat all victims are female

Personally, yeah, someone make an accusation like that can ruin someone's family life, career, lose friends. Even if they get off and not convicted, there will always be people who believe otherwise. And that's not undoable. Especially with what's at risk. Everything you got and all your friends and family

People who make false claims like that need to get real and realize the magnitude of that they claim

10 years? Dam straight up yes!!

Drewboyy
July 31st, 2017, 09:55 PM
I know this case is about male rapist and a female victim. But don't forget that not all repast are male and Nat all victims are female

Personally, yeah, someone make an accusation like that can ruin someone's family life, career, lose friends. Even if they get off and not convicted, there will always be people who believe otherwise. And that's not undoable. Especially with what's at risk. Everything you got and all your friends and family

People who make false claims like that need to get real and realize the magnitude of that they claim

10 years? Dam straight up yes!!

I mean, it's another issue on people not taking men and boys seriously when they get raped by women. It's written off because the boy "probably enjoyed it, all boys like sex".

PlasmaHam
July 31st, 2017, 10:21 PM
I mean, it's another issue on people not taking men and boys seriously when they get raped by women. It's written off because the boy "probably enjoyed it, all boys like sex".

Plus, a big issue for me is how the law is apply unequally in many cases to men and women. Studies have shown that female-on-male violence victims (rape victims included) are much less likely to have their case be taken serious by the authorities, due to the stigma that men can either defend themselves against the weaker woman, or in the case of rape that they actually enjoyed it. This is unacceptable, and believe it or not, there are actually people who say that female-on-male rape is literally impossible, I am not exaggerating there.

Another very disturbing thing to me is how the law treats drunk sex. If both partners are drunk and have sex, and the woman later claims that the guy raped her during the co-drunk love-making, then under the law he its a potential rapist. Yet the reverse is not true, because (according to their logic) since women can't handle alcohol as well as men, they are always the victim in drunk sex.

Just JT
August 1st, 2017, 06:27 AM

Rape isn't just between opposite sexes. Much less reported, but all just as significant. I agree it's probably written off that way, but isn't always the case. Regardless of who the perp is.

Plus, a big issue for me is how the law is apply unequally in many cases to men and women. Studies have shown that female-on-male violence victims (rape victims included) are much less likely to have their case be taken serious by the authorities, due to the stigma that men can either defend themselves against the weaker woman, or in the case of rape that they actually enjoyed it. This is unacceptable, and believe it or not, there are actually people who say that female-on-male rape is literally impossible, I am not exaggerating there.

Another very disturbing thing to me is how the law treats drunk sex. If both partners are drunk and have sex, and the woman later claims that the guy raped her during the co-drunk love-making, then under the law he its a potential rapist. Yet the reverse is not true, because (according to their logic) since women can't handle alcohol as well as men, they are always the victim in drunk sex.

I agree. It can seem really imbalanced unfortunately. I think sometimes it's just a topic the police don't wana deal with. Especially when it comes to a same sex rape case. It's just so distasteful, and people don't wana hear about it on the news. It happens, much more than we'd like to thinkmor talk about. Which let's the perps get away easier. Strange huh? Different standards suck

Dalcourt
August 1st, 2017, 10:39 PM
People usually tell uo4u that male and female are treated completely equal when there are any feminism threads and that womens' claims are useless...no they admit that people are treated differently according to their gender when it comes to rape.

Maybe this thread involuntary helps to show how important real equal treating of people can be and that males can profit from this, too.

Dmaxd123
August 2nd, 2017, 05:48 AM
I think 10 years is a bit much but glad she is being punished.

my problem I would rather see a lot less people "in" jail. this girl isn't a violent danger to society so send her to work daily then at night she needs to report back to a semi-jail so she can still contribute to society, earn $$ to repay her debts, and not be a complete drain on the tax system....

ShineintheDark
August 2nd, 2017, 08:23 AM
I do think the punishment should be proportional so community service and reparations would probbaly be better than sending her to jail which would be a waste of taxpayer money anyways as she isn't really a big enough danger to societyto warrent being locked away

Stronk Serb
August 2nd, 2017, 08:26 PM
You broke the law, face the consequences. What about those three men? They could've been in a cell if this wasn't a proven false accusation. She should do the time.

SethfromMI
August 2nd, 2017, 08:29 PM
I do think the punishment should be proportional so community service and reparations would probbaly be better than sending her to jail which would be a waste of taxpayer money anyways as she isn't really a big enough danger to societyto warrent being locked away

she tried sending an innocent man to jail. she tried ruining an innocent mans life. how much community service is that worth? 30 minutes? or would that be too harsh of a punishment. and people like her who try to send innocent people to jail, there is no danger behind such people? you go to jail for a crime you did not commit and tell me you think the person responsible is completely harmless

Just JT
August 2nd, 2017, 09:07 PM
I think 10 years is a bit much but glad she is being punished.

my problem I would rather see a lot less people "in" jail. this girl isn't a violent danger to society so send her to work daily then at night she needs to report back to a semi-jail so she can still contribute to society, earn $$ to repay her debts, and not be a complete drain on the tax system....

Not a violent threat? I disagree. What about the potential impact on these guys lives by other people who believe the original claim? What if their own wives (if married) would of reacted to the claim? You don't think that might cause some violence? Maybe not by her own hand, but she'd have a hand in it.

I agree with SethfromMI

NewLeafsFan
August 2nd, 2017, 10:36 PM
While I think that ten years is way too strong of a punishment, this is becoming a problem.(Especially for celebrities)

I could name several pro athletes that have been victimised by crazy people claiming that they got raped. Some people's carriers have been ruined.

Stronk Serb
August 3rd, 2017, 03:33 AM
While I think that ten years is way too strong of a punishment, this is becoming a problem.(Especially for celebrities)

I could name several pro athletes that have been victimised by crazy people claiming that they got raped. Some people's carriers have been ruined.

Well, if someone made a false rape accusation against me and I proved my innocence, I would like that person to do the time I would have to do if I was proven guilty. First I would go to jail, get rapef there, spend years there, get labelled a sex offender and have no future when I come out of jail. Here you can barely find work if you were convicted of a criminal offence

ShineintheDark
August 3rd, 2017, 07:02 AM
she tried sending an innocent man to jail. she tried ruining an innocent mans life. how much community service is that worth? 30 minutes? or would that be too harsh of a punishment. and people like her who try to send innocent people to jail, there is no danger behind such people? you go to jail for a crime you did not commit and tell me you think the person responsible is completely harmless

'Ten years is a little much' does not equate to '30 mins of community service'. Yes, what she did was vile and could very well have ruined that man's life. False accusations are a real issue that should not be taken lightly. However, removing all outrage and feelings aside, the realistic punishment SHOULD be some sort of reparations in the form of community service to make back the public money wasted on her claim/compensation to the accused if he wishes since that actively DOES something. Sending her to jail wastes everyone's time and money because jail isn't gonna do something other than provide quick comeupance for her crime.

SethfromMI
August 3rd, 2017, 08:32 PM
'Ten years is a little much' does not equate to '30 mins of community service'. Yes, what she did was vile and could very well have ruined that man's life. False accusations are a real issue that should not be taken lightly. However, removing all outrage and feelings aside, the realistic punishment SHOULD be some sort of reparations in the form of community service to make back the public money wasted on her claim/compensation to the accused if he wishes since that actively DOES something. Sending her to jail wastes everyone's time and money because jail isn't gonna do something other than provide quick comeupance for her crime.

so what in the world then is an appropriate punishment for trying to send someone to jail for 8-15 even more years? 10 hours? 100? by that same logic, murders should only be in jail for a year max. the man she accused would not only would have went to jail for many many years, but his entire life once he got out would have been ruined. you don't think trying to do that is a big deal though.
Stronk Serb the exact point I was trying to make

Stronk Serb
August 3rd, 2017, 08:39 PM

Read my reply. What if the men were convicted innocent and couldn't prove it? The justice system is flawed. Mistakes happen. How much men got sent to death row innocent? If someone does that to a person, the false accuser should face harsh punishments. It can also serve as an example to not mess with that kind of thing. What if I hold a grudge against someone and I make a false rape accusation? I know a person who was falsely accused, the charges were cleared but he still bears a social stigma as if he did it.