PDA

View Full Version : My surgery

ava.anonymous
July 31st, 2017, 12:15 PM
This year I spent a month in hospital because of my scoliosis.
Scoliosis is a curvature of the spine and if it's severe enough the person who has it might need to have an operation.

My surgery was in two parts, part one was to loosen the bones to make them stretch and part two was to fix things into place by inserting metal rods and pins.

I went into hospital the day before my first operation and the hospital staff were great at making me feel as comfortable as possible in the new environment.On the day of the operation they came to fetch me at about 9am to go down to the anaesthetic room. The anesthetist got me to sleep very quickly so my operation could begin. I woke up again at roughly 6pm and was very tired.
I spent the next two weeks on halo traction with 12kg of weights attached to the traction meaning I couldn't get out of bed. I had to use a bedpan and have bed baths for two weeks.
Then came the day of operation two where the porters took me down to the anesthetic room and I was put to sleep for a second time. I woke up in the intensive care unit with a chest drain because they'd punctured my lungs during surgery.Luckily I could return to the ward the next day. Two days later the physio staff came round and helped me sit up on the edge of the bed. Then the next day they helped me walk although I was very wobbly. I kept this up for a whole week, then they decided it was time I had a go using the stairs. The stairs were a bit tricky for me but I managed it. It was then that they decided I was ready to go home so we packed my things up and the next day me and my parents drove me home where I have been recovering and gradually increasing my walking.
As much as I would love to post a picture of my scar, I have decided against it because I know some people feel uncomfortable looking at big scars. If you have any questions just ask!

Just JT
July 31st, 2017, 09:40 PM
That's a rough deal. Sounds pretty bad. Hope your doing better. Seems like it anyways.
Did the dr even apologize for what happened?

ava.anonymous
August 1st, 2017, 04:55 AM
Yeah he did apologize although we already knew before the surgery that there was a chance it could happen

azurzg
August 1st, 2017, 06:11 AM
Ava, I wish you a speedy recovery!
Post surgery can be tough (I've been through a minor one myself).
Hang in there!

Elysium
August 1st, 2017, 08:44 AM
Best of luck with your recovery! I have scoliosis myself and had to wear a back brace every night for a year or so, but luckily managed to avoid surgery.

What was your degree or curvature, if you know? I no longer remember mine, but I think it was in the 20s. Did you get any taller from surgery?

devotionnel
August 1st, 2017, 09:13 AM
I hope you recover soon! :) My gf has a genetic condition and one of the side effects of it is that she can develop scoliosis... but she hasn't shown any signs of spine curvature yet, so maybe it won't be major enough for surgery... What does your recovery time look like from the surgery, do you know?

ava.anonymous
August 1st, 2017, 10:15 AM
Best of luck with your recovery! I have scoliosis myself and had to wear a back brace every night for a year or so, but luckily managed to avoid surgery.

What was your degree or curvature, if you know? I no longer remember mine, but I think it was in the 20s. Did you get any taller from surgery?

My curve was over 90 degrees and I got a few inches taller after surgery

I hope you recover soon! :) My gf has a genetic condition and one of the side effects of it is that she can develop scoliosis... but she hasn't shown any signs of spine curvature yet, so maybe it won't be major enough for surgery... What does your recovery time look like from the surgery, do you know?

The full extent is a year but the main part of recovery is a few months

Ava, I wish you a speedy recovery!
Post surgery can be tough (I've been through a minor one myself).
Hang in there!

Thank you

Posts merged. Next time, please use the "Edit" or "Multi" button. ~Elysium

Elysium
August 1st, 2017, 10:25 AM
My curve was over 90 degrees and I got a few inches taller after surgery
That's scary. At least it won't be causing you pain or discomfort later in life.

Romulus_
August 3rd, 2017, 03:29 PM
Wow that's crazy, I was always worried about getting scoliosis while I was growing up because my doctor said I was starting to develop it slightly due to me carrying my school backpack on one shoulder. Luckily I stopped doing that and it ended up straightening out again. That must have hurt so much with it bent so severely! Hopefully that all feels better now, you are so brave for what you have been through :D Will the metal rods and pins ever get taken out or are they there to stay?

redi04
August 3rd, 2017, 04:51 PM
My cousin had scoliosis best wishes

Endeavour
August 3rd, 2017, 04:53 PM
Hope your recovery goes well. One of my friends has got to have surgery for scoliosis soon as well.

Barbara.
August 3rd, 2017, 05:08 PM
OMG I'm so sorry to hear of your condition I hope that the surgery was a success and your recovery is speedy.

Diana2002
August 18th, 2017, 01:50 PM
That was so nice. Wish you all the best

jamie_n5
August 31st, 2017, 03:33 PM
Wow. loved to hear about your story. I hope the surgery was completely successful and that you never have any problems again.