PDA

View Full Version : Find the secret in the image

Flapjack
July 30th, 2017, 06:47 PM
Heeyyyy I thought this would be a little bit of fun for the teckys on here!!

It is a lot more difficult than I first thought it was... XD
https://www.mi5.gov.uk/sites/default/files/u2/puzzle.png
This challenge was actually posted on the MI5 website (https://www.mi5.gov.uk/careers/opportunities/coding-challenge)
I thought I had done it but it turns out I had only found the first message... there are many more steps xD I will have another go at it tomorrow, hopefully you guys have better luck XD

hjhj
July 31st, 2017, 02:20 AM
I tried some things lol, first binary, then adding filters to the image. I think tho that it requires you to remove certain color from the image, which I could not find a service I own to do rip...

Desynchronized
July 31st, 2017, 08:18 AM
Fuck. I'm stumped

Flapjack
July 31st, 2017, 09:02 AM
This is a giant pain in the ass xD Does anyone know any free software I can use to run some javascript code?? Can't be online as I need it to have access to 2 images on my computer.

I tried some things lol, first binary, then adding filters to the image. I think tho that it requires you to remove certain color from the image, which I could not find a service I own to do rip...
How did you convert it to binary buddy?? Because I first threshold the image, saved as PBM and stripped the header lines so it was just 1s and 0s... I got stuck there though so am trying a different approach!!

hjhj
July 31st, 2017, 02:23 PM
This is a giant pain in the ass xD Does anyone know any free software I can use to run some javascript code?? Can't be online as I need it to have access to 2 images on my computer.

How did you convert it to binary buddy?? Because I first threshold the image, saved as PBM and stripped the header lines so it was just 1s and 0s... I got stuck there though so am trying a different approach!!
Can you send me the 1st and 0s to have me help? I can translate if you send :)

Flapjack
July 31st, 2017, 05:12 PM
Can you send me the 1st and 0s to have me help? I can translate if you send :)
I could send the .pbm file but not it all in binary as I there are 1.91KB xD Would that be of any use?? :) I have taken a little break now but I am determined to crack it :P Did you find the first message?? It is a lot easier to find :P

Also to anyone that might be confused... this is steganography if that helps??

Coolteenboy
July 31st, 2017, 07:05 PM
Is it a birthday cake with 17 candles?

Flapjack
August 1st, 2017, 09:13 AM
Is it a birthday cake with 17 candles?
Noooo at least I don't think so?? Why do you think that?? Did you guess or did you actually find something :P

From what I know there are 2 messages, one I have found and the other involves doing something to the binary and like I think there is an encryption or something with the second one??

Silicate Wielder
August 6th, 2017, 05:42 PM

Ah, try Sphere https://www.spheredev.com

To get the version I personaly recommend go to the downloads folder linked at the lower right side of the page then Sphere Game Engine Releases > Original Engine (legacy) and downloading the one titled "Sphere 1.5 [Last Version].zip

I believe there are some releases for Mac but I dunno if 1.5 has a Mac release.