PDA

View Full Version : is driving a car difficult?

Eddyrd
July 29th, 2017, 05:25 PM
i want to take lessons, but it looks hard from what i've seen. all the switches, the gear stick, etc... it makes me feel overwhelmed. is really so difficult?

(sorry because of my english, actually my native language is spanish)

Sailor Mars
July 29th, 2017, 06:12 PM
It's not difficult per say... It just takes practice (: After practicing and getting used to it, it's like riding a bike. Switching gears takes focus at first, getting used to when to turn, when to accelerate or pass someone... it takes some time to get used to. Lessons will surely help you get over the nervousness.

Abyssal Echo
July 29th, 2017, 06:22 PM
It's not difficult per say... It just takes practice (: After practicing and getting used to it, it's like riding a bike. Switching gears takes focus at first, getting used to when to turn, when to accelerate or pass someone... it takes some time to get used to. Lessons will surely help you get over the nervousness.

Not much I can really add to this^ this^ pretty much sums it up.
It's best not to over think it and let it overwhelm you.... it's not hard at all

Fleek
July 29th, 2017, 10:25 PM
Today was my first time driving on the road. Let's be honest it's much like coloring. Stay in your lane. (Lines)

thomas2003
July 29th, 2017, 10:48 PM
my dad let me have a shot of the car a bit ago...it was manual so it really hard to not make it stall lol but like once i worked it out i could keep it going - was only like a 100m private road tho that was a straight line lol

rioo
July 29th, 2017, 11:45 PM
it also depend on the traffic in your area.Driving can be stressful and enjoyable at the same time.

SethfromMI
July 30th, 2017, 10:36 AM
a manual compared to an automatic can certainly be harder, but once you get used to it, some people prefer it. I drive an automatic, it would take me time to get use to a manual

Just JT
July 30th, 2017, 10:51 AM
Like other people said. It's just a learning thing. I've driven some, dont have my permit yet. But it's cool. Kinda freaky as you also kinda need to trust complete strangers also driving other card to follow the laws of the road cause if they don't, it could be bad for you to. But still cool once your used to it

Flapjack
July 30th, 2017, 11:49 AM
I am also starting lessons soon!! I recommend you watch a few youtube videos so you have some idea what is going on buddy and aren't so nervous :)

This is a vid I found particularly useful :) There are also other vids dedicated to explaining stuff like changing gears :)
1_tEmVy2pak

azurzg
July 31st, 2017, 06:03 AM
I want to take lessons, but it looks hard from what i've seen. all the switches, the gear stick, etc... it makes me feel overwhelmed. is really so difficult?

I don't drive yet. I've notice that drivers often focus on things other than driving while driving and that scares me.

Coolteenboy
July 31st, 2017, 07:24 PM
Read the instructions in the cars manual.
Sticks (manual shift) is a little more difficult, but still doable.
Just go slow, concentrate, and listen to your instructor.

(from experience, get someone OTHER THAN a parent.)

CrypticBread2
July 31st, 2017, 07:42 PM
Driving is not hard after practice. It's dodging all the wahoos on the road that takes years to work on.

Nicole_
July 31st, 2017, 08:10 PM
You should definitely start learning on a car with automatic transmission; was easier not having the headache of changing gears! :)

Agent X
August 2nd, 2017, 12:51 AM
Nah it's really easy but I drive an automatic so stick would be really hard. The worst part about driving is heavy traffic and dealing with semis on the freeway

CosmicNoodle
August 9th, 2017, 09:34 PM
Think about how complex walking or running is, from a mechanical point of view it's ridiculously hard. You've just had lots of practice. After you've done it for a while it becomes second nature

Cognizant
August 15th, 2017, 06:30 PM
Honestamente, depende del coche. Cada coche tiene una reacción diferente a la aceleración, frenado, curvas, desplazamiento, visibilidad.
Sin embargo, algunas habilidades se aprenden en cualquier coche, como cómo hacer un giro, o anticipar las acciones de los demás.

Comience con un coche que tiene buena visibilidad y que no es demasiado grande.

Honestly, it depends on the car. Every car has different reaction to acceleration, braking, cornering, shifting, visibility.
But some skills are learned on any car, such as how to make a turn, or anticipating actions of others.

Start with a car that has good visibility and that isn't too large.

teeeem
November 14th, 2017, 03:01 AM
the first car i started driving was a full-sized car so im sure you got nothing to worry about as long as you're confident :P took me about a month to learn manual but I've been daily driving an automatic

hayley2003
November 18th, 2017, 03:08 AM
i know how to drive a stick!! i learned last summer at my uncle's ranch. he has an old jeep and he showed me and my brother how to drive it. we only got to drive on the dirt roads on the ranch, and never more than 25mph. it was cool, but only had one of super old radios that only gets AM stations....lol

EvaNL
November 23rd, 2017, 08:37 AM
No, it's not difficult.
Take a bunch of lessons to get familiar with the technique and the road rules, and you'll be fine.
Especially if you would drive a automatic gearbox. But driving a stick is easy as well.

Princesa77
November 23rd, 2017, 10:10 AM
If the car is an auto instead of a stick gear, it's easy but what is tricky is learning not only general road craft, but extra learning for motorways. eg, the M25 in the UK is reputedly the biggestest carpark in the world for the traffic jams and hogging the middle lane is now a traffic offence.

Driving around town means keeping your wits about you, for what is hugely annoying is when cyclists sneak up between your car and the kerb. Knock them down and it'll be you who gets into trouble!

The UK's Highway Code needs a lot of study and learning to drive can be expensive, very. I took my test first time and was lucky to pass. I now have an international drivers licence, but when I go home to Spain, I'll have to register my dl with the local police. It's a formality, but has to be done.

Useful link to UK Gov website: https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving/learning-to-drive

KatieCO2003
November 23rd, 2017, 10:36 AM
65 million Americans are doing it right now while also sending a text and drinking coffee. I keep telling myself that it can't be too hard.

Princesa77
November 23rd, 2017, 10:56 AM
Too many drivers are on their phones. In the UK that is a criminal offence, liable for at least 4 penalty points clipped off your licence and mighty fine of £5,000

It's good and should be. Far too many fatalities

Endeavour
November 23rd, 2017, 11:06 AM
This thread was bumped. :locked: