PDA

View Full Version : Muh Ideology!

Porpoise101
July 29th, 2017, 01:37 PM
Ideology is so boring. When basing a societal analysis solely off of ideology, you miss the bulk of the important individual and structural factors (economic, political, cultural, geographic, historical, etc). So why do people continually focus on ideology when they try to make a point?

This applies to the right, when they assign too much blame on Islam for x event. It also is an issue on the left when they chalk up social issues to some omnipresent white supremacy, capitalism, or fascism. Don't get me wrong: principles are important. But there are always a wealth of other social factors beyond such beliefs.

For the purposes of this discussion I am referring to ideology as a system/doctrine that provides all-encompassing solutions for society. Typically these are the "isms". Examples: fascism, Marxism, liberalism, clericalism, anti-theism.

Leprous
July 29th, 2017, 02:50 PM
I guess nowadays people are obsessed with labels. It's not very uncommon and it may be easier for some to explain their political ideas to someone else by referring to these ideologies. Honestly there is no such thing as being a left or right winged politician/person in general since everyone will (in most cases) have ideas that are common in other political movements.

ShineintheDark
July 29th, 2017, 04:32 PM
No ideology exists in a real and universal form, there are a million dfferent types of ideology within each type of idfeology. They purely exist as umbrella terms to get ideas expressed more efficiently than just explaining every single idea and belief every time you're asked about them. Nothing guives the universal solution to all things.

Stronk Serb
July 29th, 2017, 04:50 PM
Ideologies are good when moderated for the needs of real life, but when you try to find explanation of said ideology in sciences (like the Nazis did in biology and Soviets in sciences, neoliberlals for genders) then you have a serious problem. When you are using ideology to bend scientific facts.

Porpoise101
July 29th, 2017, 06:35 PM
Ideologies are good when moderated for the needs of real lifeI agree. Ideology can give direction to a group of people and can be a real benefit if it is one with a good justification underlying it. But ideology is not something to get caught up in as you say. When you turn an individual person into 'another follower' you lose out on a lot, namely those other important parts of a person like their character.
Soviets in sciences
http://d279m997dpfwgl.cloudfront.net/wp/2017/04/Screen-Shot-2017-04-06-at-3.50.56-PM.jpeg
The face you make when you are ready to deny basic science

Edit: I feel shaneinthedark is pretty close. However, I feel that Ideology is less of an umbrella term for smaller splinter 'ideologies' but rather an umbrella group of similar thoughts. It is my personal belief that the thoughts are of real value instead of the umbrella if that makes sense.