PDA

View Full Version : Career as a lifeguard?

evansk8
July 25th, 2017, 03:59 PM
My oldest cousin says he wants to be a lifeguard. Is this a real career? Like I always saw it as a summer job or part time. Anyone know any adult lifeguards who do it as their main job? Seems like it would be fun.

Endeavour
July 25th, 2017, 04:01 PM
Lifeguards aren't necessarily "summer" jobs, sure you need more during the summer because they are more people using pools and water parks etc. but there will still be people during the winter months, so they're still needed. You definitely need to be a competent swimmer, able to react quickly, caring etc.

SethfromMI
July 25th, 2017, 05:35 PM
I mean it can be more than summer. If you were going to do it for a career you would have to be somewhere where you were needed all year long. even then, most places may not pay enough to make a living off of it. most people do it for a summer thing, part-time, temporary work, but hey, if he wants to do it for a career and can make a living off it, more power to him.

Trivium
July 25th, 2017, 06:08 PM
Careers generally have upward mobility. Meaning, you can always go further in that career.

azurzg
July 26th, 2017, 12:05 PM
My oldest cousin says he wants to be a lifeguard. Is this a real career? Like I always saw it as a summer job or part time. Anyone know any adult lifeguards who do it as their main job? Seems like it would be fun.

There are lifeguards all year round, at pools and such. But I am not sure that's is anyone's primary long-term career choice.

naenaendr
July 26th, 2017, 02:04 PM
Adults are usually monitors for the pools. They are the bosses of lifeguards. They don't actually work at the pool though. Being a lifeguard isn't a career, but owning the pools is.

Jeff1857
July 26th, 2017, 02:06 PM
I am a beach lifeguard in the summer. The older people who lifeguard most are teachers during the school year but two guys are lifeguards all years. One is from Australia so he goes and works there in the winter (Cause it is summer) the other lives in San Diego and I guess works there and at pools.

evansk8
July 28th, 2017, 09:30 AM
Thanks everyone! I'm going to look into the junior guards program for next summer. Maybe I can get a job after that. Not sure I'd do it as a career though.

Shamal
August 4th, 2017, 02:44 AM
I only know part time/ summer lifeguards.

cleancut
August 4th, 2017, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't consider a career unless it has a starting pay of 50k or more. There are lots of things that I'd like to do that pay real money.

You could make more money as a cashier than as a life guard.

However being a life guard would be fun, but not a career.