PDA

View Full Version : Unpopular music opinions

Davestovies
July 19th, 2017, 10:19 AM
Sorry if this has already but I wanted to make a thread for unpopular opinions related to music. Hopefully we can have some civil discussion here too.

Anyway my unpopular opinion is that The Beatles aren't that great a band. Never really liked any of their songs and I feel there's a lot of better bands from the same time like The Rolling Stones.

Periphery
July 19th, 2017, 10:27 AM
I actually feel the way you feel about The Beatles about The Rolling Stones :p. My opinion is that most pop music is very generic, lazy songwriting and has no talent behind it anymore. I also think dj's are some of the laziest live performers out there.

Romulus_
July 19th, 2017, 10:54 AM
I feel the same way about the Beatles actually lol. My unpopular music opinion is that Nickelback isn't actually that bad of a band

devotionnel
July 19th, 2017, 10:55 AM
Never really been a fan of Beatles or Rolling Stones etc etc. I feel like there's so many better iconic bands during those time periods. Also everyone seems to hate me when I say I strongly dislike classic rock bands like AC/DC, Led Zeppelin etc. Just classic rock in general, I've just never got on with it and probably never will.

The only good metal music was made before 2005.

Most modern pop artists have amazing potential to make great music that many audiences could enjoy but are severely hindered and pressured by their fanbase to churn out repetitive music again and again. That's probably why most are one-hit wonders.

EDIT: Davestories it's probably most likely that pop is lazy these days because of their fan base, in order to get a good revenue or gain more money/fame they have to follow the same rigid guidelines that everyone will lap up. Therefore that's why I state that all artists have potential they're just too limited to what people will actually like. Majority of the time something unique won't sell.

Good alt rock won't come back. If anything it'll be repetitive and average at best.

Queen and Metallica are incredibly overrated and get a lot more praise than I feel like is necessary.

Davestovies
July 19th, 2017, 11:03 AM
I actually feel the way you feel about The Beatles about The Rolling Stones :p. My opinion is that most pop music is very generic, lazy songwriting and has no talent behind it anymore. I also think dj's are some of the laziest live performers out there.

Agreed, a lot of pop music now is lazy and a lot of it ends up sounded similar

azure moonstone
July 19th, 2017, 12:12 PM
My unpopular music opinion is that Nickelback isn't actually that bad of a band

Agreed. I've gone on a whole rant before about how Nickelback is a victim of being bashed by a sheep mentality of people automatically responding "they suck" whenever Nickelback is mentioned. They aren't bad at all.

Also -

1. I know they have gotten a lot of love of the years and gone through a lot of studio musicians, but seriously - Steely Dan is still probably one of the most underrated bands ever. And yes, they deserved to win that Grammy over Eminem simply because they are better musicians.

2. Even though they benefited from a lot of slick work in the studio while making their albums, the members both Duran Duran and Def Leppard are actually decent musicians.

3. Axl Rose, Brian Johnson, and Billie Joe Armstrong are all terrible one-note singers. Some of their bands songs are ok, even legendary...but their vocals kill it for me. I can't listen to more than one song at a time by any of these bands.

4. Even though she has a bunch of admittedly catchy songs (which I like) - Katy Perry is a very average singer, who probably only got big because she has decent tits.

5. Taylor Swift takes a lot of unnecessary shit from fans (and so do other singers from her fans).

6. Beyonce isn't that great. She benefits from a phenomenal hype machine, and once again....sheep fan mentality.

7. While some older Van Halen songs by themselves are decent, David Lee Roth sucks as a vocalist. Especially next to Sammy Hagar. I don't care if he's "more fun" - he's still a shit singer.

8. I find a lot of Pink Floyd's music boring. I know that will be unpopular, but I just don't hear what other people do. (Maybe it's because I'm sober most of the time?)

9. I don't hate Limp Bizkit at all.

10. I don't think "Call Me Maybe" is a bad song at all. Maybe a bit overplayed, but I think we are past that point now.

Amethyst Rose
July 19th, 2017, 12:26 PM
Aaah yes I love these threads ^^

I agree with everything said above about the Beatles and Rolling Stones - nothing phenomenal there - and the point about the redundancy in pop music. I also think that all "hair metal" bands are way overrated. My family is nuts for them but I just... what is so great about them? All the lyrics and music sound the same as other songs in the same subgenre.

Another unpopular opinion is on the relevancy of jazz and how it shaped other genres that are more prevalent today. It has fallen from being "mainstream", but its influence is still there. Rock, funk, hell even hip hop has borrowed harmonic and rhythmic elements found in jazz and other African-born music.

I don't like much contemporary music... I will say that contemporary does not mean worse, despite the quality of musicianship and originality not taking the forefront in music production as it should; there are talented musicians in all genres and in all eras.

Edit: Another thing, it's appalling how all pop radio stations feel they can't play anything that's not on the charts at this moment. Seriously, if you turn through the stations there can be the same song on like 3 of them at once. Pop is the only genre I have noticed this in and it only further emphasizes the repetitiveness of it. How you can actually claim to enjoy music while buying into this is beyond me. You just can't.

Davestovies
July 19th, 2017, 12:29 PM
Aaah yes I love these threads ^^

I agree with everything said above about the Beatles and Rolling Stones - nothing phenomenal there - and the point about the redundancy in pop music. I also think that all "hair metal" bands are way overrated. My family is nuts for them but I just... what is so great about them? All the lyrics and music sound the same as other songs in the same subgenre.

Another unpopular opinion is on the relevancy of jazz and how it shaped other genres that are more prevalent today. It has fallen from being "mainstream", but its influence is still there. Rock, funk, hell even hip hop has borrowed harmonic and rhythmic elements found in jazz and other African-born music.

I don't like much contemporary music... I will say that contemporary does not mean worse, despite the quality of musicianship and originality not taking the forefront in music production as it should; there are talented musicians in all genres and in all eras.

Although I've never really considered myself a big fan of Jazz I can appreciate how it helped influence everything that came afterwards

azure moonstone
July 19th, 2017, 12:31 PM

Completely agreed. You'll hear elements of and the influence of jazz in just about everything. So much of it was borrowed over the years.

Davestovies
July 19th, 2017, 12:37 PM
Never really been a fan of Beatles or Rolling Stones etc etc. I feel like there's so many better iconic bands during those time periods. Also everyone seems to hate me when I say I strongly dislike classic rock bands like AC/DC, Led Zeppelin etc. Just classic rock in general, I've just never got on with it and probably never will.

The only good metal music was made before 2005.

Most modern pop artists have amazing potential to make great music that many audiences could enjoy but are severely hindered and pressured by their fanbase to churn out repetitive music again and again. That's probably why most are one-hit wonders.

EDIT: Davestories it's probably most likely that pop is lazy these days because of their fan base, in order to get a good revenue or gain more money/fame they have to follow the same rigid guidelines that everyone will lap up. Therefore that's why I state that all artists have potential they're just too limited to what people will actually like. Majority of the time something unique won't sell.

Good alt rock won't come back. If anything it'll be repetitive and average at best.

Queen and Metallica are incredibly overrated and get a lot more praise than I feel like is necessary.

1. Yeah I agree with what you say about popstars nowadays having some amount of guidelines to stick by

2. I wouldn't say Queen are necessarily overrated but I think Metallica are overrated to certain extent

Babs
July 19th, 2017, 09:31 PM
i may reiterate previous posts but i will try not to be too repetitive.

fuck the beatles. taylor swift does not deserve a grammy. jazz and the blues are underrated. everyone should stop crying racism every time beyonce doesn't win an award because no one wins at everything. you can enjoy the artwork of someone who might not have been a good person. steven tyler can go suck a fat one. nirvana isn't even the best grunge band. kiss is the fucking worst. rock n roll songs about rock n roll aren't good.

Jamiec1130
July 21st, 2017, 09:29 AM
My most unpopular music opinion (at least with everyone I know)? I don't think rap is music. It's just people "singing" random, thrown together words that make no sense.

Mars
July 21st, 2017, 09:30 AM
I love classical instruments, but hate orchestral music

ska8er
July 21st, 2017, 06:01 PM
Im a fan of 50s R&B-60s Folk-Surf and
British Invasion-70-80s Classic Rock. I
find some of the music of today over
hyped.

Don't judge music by its age but by quality.
Never feel that u must explain y u like certain
music. Each person is entitled to like what they
want. Good music is timeless.

ImCoolBeans
July 29th, 2017, 06:59 PM
While I do quite like the Beatles, I love the Rolling Stones, they're one of my favorite bands. I think Mick and Keith are the best song writing duo of all time. Sorry Lennon/McCartney, its Jagger/Richards.

I don't like most pop music today either. I think it's more about money and fame than art and musicianship. I'm not saying that pop artists from previous eras weren't in it for money and fame, I just think that there was a much stronger musicianship behind the music itself in pop music from the 60's and 70's in my opinion.

The album 21 by Adele has 57 different musician credits and 24 production credits. That's absurd, and is a pretty good example of the previous point. She gets a lot of credit for writing her own music, and won 7 Grammys for an album she was one of 58 people to play on lol.

Dalcourt
July 29th, 2017, 09:39 PM
Led Zeppelin is one of the most overrated bands ever...I can't make it even through half a song with out being annoyed by getting singer's absolutely horrible voice.

Not even the handful of catchy guitar riffs they have can safe a song when the vocals are so terrible.

Babs
July 29th, 2017, 09:55 PM
bohemian rhapsody is my least favorite song by queen. there are so many better queen songs out there

PlasmaHam
July 29th, 2017, 10:05 PM
I love threads like this. Would love if more were made about other topics.

First of all, pop is awful. Some of the older stuff may have redemptive properties, but nowadays there is none. The music is repetitive and unoriginal. The music is processed to the point where it loses all purpose and meaning. And finally, most pop stars are mediocre musicians who only gain fame through their looks and narcissistic obsession with themselves. It is a shame we consider these people actual singers, when they are far from it.

Secondly, country is basically becoming pop 2.0. Country has lost its folk/bluegrass traditions, and instead has become pop with banjos. Besides the slightly more southern sounding accents and more traditional instruments, there really aren't any differences, and thats bad.

In general, I am disgusted by the general fakery in modern music culture.

Amethyst Rose
July 30th, 2017, 12:14 AM
I love threads like this. Would love if more were made about other topics.

First of all, pop is awful. Some of the older stuff may have redemptive properties, but nowadays there is none. The music is repetitive and unoriginal. The music is processed to the point where it loses all purpose and meaning. And finally, most pop stars are mediocre musicians who only gain fame through their looks and narcissistic obsession with themselves. It is a shame we consider these people actual singers, when they are far from it.

Secondly, country is basically becoming pop 2.0. Country has lost its folk/bluegrass traditions, and instead has become pop with banjos. Besides the slightly more southern sounding accents and more traditional instruments, there really aren't any differences, and thats bad.

In general, I am disgusted by the general fakery in modern music culture.

I dislike country music - both older and modern - and completely agree with you. And the fact that numerous modern country singers fake their accents while singing (just listen to them talk) does nothing but increase my dislike for it.

Davestovies
July 30th, 2017, 01:59 PM
Guns N Roses are criminally overrated

Periphery
August 2nd, 2017, 12:35 PM
Twenty One Pilots is highly overrated.

The best Arctic Monkeys songs are their B-sides and I honestly wanna punch people who say AM is their best record.

Ac/Dc's music all sounds the same and other than a few songs there's really nothing special about them.

KatieCO2003
August 3rd, 2017, 12:07 AM
<rant-mode on>
I'm not into pop vocalists, especially female pop vocalists. I've never listened to an entire Adelle song, and Taylor Swift is just so much "the most popular boy in school doesn't date me, boo hoo". Srsly Miss Swift?

Also, Led Zeppelin is the most overrated classic rock group ever. And any song that relies on the phrases "ohh-ahh" or "ahh-ohh" is irresponsibly lazy emo b/s.
<rant-mode off>

gonna go listen to Echo & the Bunnymen now

Amethyst Rose
August 3rd, 2017, 12:15 AM
Unpopular music opinion based on opinions in this thread: Led Zeppelin is not overrated.

DriveAlive
August 3rd, 2017, 01:00 AM
my douchebag roommate only listened to Led Zeppelin, The Eagles, and John Mayer. Literally those were the only things he listened to over and over again. That helped to solidify my disdain for those musicians.

BlackParadePixie
August 3rd, 2017, 01:36 AM
lol this thread made me laugh alot

bojack
August 14th, 2017, 02:50 PM
1) Nirvana isn't that great, and Nevermind is far from their best album (its way too polished and over produced)

2) The best music is always current music. in 2017 the best music came out in 2017, in 10 years the best music will be coming out in 2027

3) most "classic rock" bands were made up of disgusting guys who make it really hard to enjoy their music

Melodic
August 14th, 2017, 04:30 PM
Swish, Swish by Katy Perry basically sums up how the majority of pop music the last 10 years has lost all type of meaning & artistic value.

NerdSquared
August 14th, 2017, 06:30 PM
Rap stinks, as does the vast majority post-2007 pop music.

Also, the best band of the 21st century is Carbon Leaf. Hands down. No competition.

Babs
August 14th, 2017, 08:31 PM
just because lady gaga does some new silly bullshit and stamps it as avant-garde, doesn't mean it's good.

adele is just taylor swift with more talent.