PDA

View Full Version : Breast Self-Exams

CollegeGirl818
July 18th, 2017, 10:49 AM
Why Conduct Breast Self-Exams!
BSEs (Breast Self-Exams) are very important in keeping up with women’s daily health. They help women know what is normal for her own body and breasts. They can be done to one’s self, or they can be taught to one’s partner to perform on them.

How to Conduct a BSE
When performing a BSE, you are looking for any lumps, hard knots, or thickening of the breast tissue. A BSE can be conducted in one of three ways:
1. In the shower: While in the shower, you will be able to glide your hands over your skin easier since it will be wet. With flat fingers, gently move your hands over every park of your breasts. Use you left hand to examine your right breast, and your right hand to examine your left breast.

2. Before a mirror: You will want to inspect your breasts before the mirror with your hands at your sides, then raised above your head. Bring your arms back down and flex your chest muscles. While doing this, your left and right breasts will not exactly match (few women’s breasts do).

3. Lying down: Put a pillow or a folded towel under your right shoulder to examine your right breast (the left shoulder to examine your left breast), and place your right hand behind your head (left hand for a BSE on the left breast). With the left hand and fingers flat, gently press in circular motions. A ridge of firm tissue near the lower curve of the breast is normal. Move in an inch with every circular motion around the breast, and keep moving in an inch until you get to the nipple. Make sure to examine every part of your breast, including the nipple.

You will also want to examine your nipples as well. Gently squeeze each nipple to make sure there is not any discharge – whether it be clear or bloody.

What to do if You Find a Lump
If you find a lump when conducting a BSE, you should note its location, size, and shape. You should monitor it to make sure it does not change in size or shape, and let your doctor know about the lump. If it does change, then notify your doctor immediately.

Source taken from: Crooks, Robert, and Karla Baur. Our sexuality. Boston, MA: Cengage Learning, 2017. Print.

angelina
July 18th, 2017, 11:47 AM
thanks for the info.mum also taught this one.i did the self exam before the mirror. nothing strange and my boobs are healthier.

CollegeGirl818
July 18th, 2017, 11:57 AM
angelina,

You're welcome for the info! Most women do not know how to perform one or how important it is. I'm surprised that your mother taught you this because my friends and I were never taught about it until college.

ChloeF
July 18th, 2017, 09:00 PM
This is something my mum is really pedantic about, l get reminded every month to do a self examination and l get annual examination by our family doctor.

DerpyGirl
July 19th, 2017, 08:08 PM
I get reminded by my doctor to do self exams. I've never found anything thank goodness but it's also kind of fun to do it.

Endeavour
July 19th, 2017, 08:37 PM
OP banned. :locked: