PDA

View Full Version : Transgender Bathooms at School

cleancut
July 17th, 2017, 06:44 AM
Are you for or against transgender bathrooms at your school. Why? What is it like at your school.

We don't have that at my school and I'm glad of it. I would feel uncomfortable with it. We went to Paris and after we got down from the Eifel Tower I used a public bathroom. It was one bathroom: men's and women's. It was unexpected, I was going to leave but I really had to go, but after I got over the initial shock it wasn't weird. However, I didn't know any of those people, and I that's the difference.

There is a new law that was passed in Texas banning Transgender Restroom in Public Schools. It is on Governor desk. He can approve it or veto it. The news says he's for it so it looks like a slam dunk for the law.

Jamiec1130
July 17th, 2017, 08:12 AM
Considering there's only a few transgender people at my school, we don't really think of that. What we have works, so it's fine for us.

Leon03
July 17th, 2017, 08:13 AM
:confused: You are talking about unisex bathrooms, don't you? I never heard about transgender bathrooms.

ShineintheDark
July 17th, 2017, 08:40 AM
I don't think unisex bathrooms are inherently a bad thing. The only difference would be no urinals for obvious reasons but boys can use stalls perfectly well and so, other than the fact that I personally know male bathrooms tend to stink of piss, I don't see what issues could really arise that wouldn't happen with gender-segregated bathrooms.

Nax32
July 17th, 2017, 08:41 AM
The few at my school just use the teacher bathrooms I believe.

Hermes
July 17th, 2017, 08:45 AM
Not at school, but the park I went to yesterday had two unisex bathrooms with each being suitable for either male or female, trans or cis gender, bale bodied or disabled.

I think given the fuss that can be caused by trans people using the single-sex bathrooms it makes sense to start all toilet provision with a number of unisex bathrooms and then only add single-sex ones when you need to cater for large numbers.

Living For Love
July 17th, 2017, 01:35 PM
Since this isn't puberty related,

Puberty For Boys :arrow2: Ramblings Of The Wise

Bathrooms only for transgender people don't make sense, in my opinion.

Bathrooms for both sexes are fine, we have that at my college's library at it works pretty well, we have a single room with the wash basins and stuff and then we have stalls for men and stalls for women. If we had urinals, though, I'd want the urinals to be in a men-only room, because obviously men might not feel comfortable using them with women nearby watching, and I'm pretty sure most men prefer using urinals instead of using toilets.

Harrier
July 17th, 2017, 01:35 PM
Are you for or against transgender bathrooms at your school. Why? What is it like at your school.

We don't have that at my school and I'm glad of it. I would feel uncomfortable with it. We went to Paris and after we got down from the Eifel Tower I used a public bathroom. It was one bathroom: men's and women's. It was unexpected, I was going to leave but I really had to go, but after I got over the initial shock it wasn't weird. However, I didn't know any of those people, and I that's the difference.

There is a new law that was passed in Texas banning Transgender Restroom in Public Schools. It is on Governor desk. He can approve it or veto it. The news says he's for it so it looks like a slam dunk for the law.

This is unisex it sounds like ... not just for transgender. So were there urinals in there or just stalls? How many stalls (how many urinals if there were urinals)? Was it clean? Did it smell? I can't imagine a womens restroom being dirty or smelly but from what I've heard they are just as bad as mens bathrooms lol. Personally I wouldn't have a problem using the stall at a large unisex bathroom, using a urinal would be a little weird when women walk through but idk if that's even how they work.

In Washington state it has been legal for people to use any bathroom they "say they identify with". I really haven't heard any problem with it besides a few "protesters" at the beginning. One "protester" (a middle aged man) walked into the female lockerroom at a swimming pool when a girls youth swim team was in there getting changed, showering, and going to the bathroom (stuff you do in swim locker rooms lol). The man started to get changed into his swimsuit when a few moms of the swimmers stepped in and stopped him and notified the people in charge. The man was asked to leave but legally he was within his rights of the new law. As long as he SAYS he identifies himself as a woman the law says he can and should stay. If others feel they need to leave while he(she???) is in there that is there choice. The person dosen't even need to look a certain way they just need to "identify" a certain way.

I think MOST trans people want to change in small bathrooms where there is no drama. And that's how it is in my school. They are allowed to use a few of the old teachers bathrooms that have been turned into single use, either sex bathrooms.

Flapjack
July 17th, 2017, 02:14 PM
There are a few different solutions and since I am not trans take my opinion with a grain of salt because their experiences in reality may be very different to what I think they are!!

I see 3 solutions that are suggested, unisex bathrooms, a dedicated trans bathroom and allowing trans people to go whether they like. There is also the suggestion of forcing trans people into the bathroom of their biological sex but that is obviously dumb and transphobic.

Unisex bathrooms are just fine, you would think it would be a big deal but it is honestly not, at least from my own experience. This also has the added benefit of reducing queues.

There is also the dedicated trans bathroom, the only place I have seen this done is in my town where they have made the disabled toilet for disabled and trans. People should take note of the fact that my town is in the UK so trans people can use whatever toilet they wish despite there being a dedicated toilet.

Then there is allowing trans people into the bathroom they identify as, this has always been the way and has only recently become an issue.

I think either unisex bathrooms or allowing transpeople into whatever bathroom they want are the best solutions personally.

mattsmith48
July 17th, 2017, 02:19 PM
When I was going to high school there was a transgender going to school with us, but the school only had the two bathrooms, boys and girls. At first the school didn't give a shit what bathroom she use so she was using the girls room. A few girls complained about it, so she couldn't use that bathroom anymore, but she didn't want to use they boys bathroom and some of the boys didn't want her in there either. At the end the school had to give her a key to the teachers bathroom. Just to show you how much trouble a transgender bathroom could have saved my school a lot of trouble.

Snowfox
July 17th, 2017, 02:25 PM
mattsmith48 and other as well why in hell people give shit about what bathroom person uses. Simple solution would be one for boys one for girls and one for disabled persons. And if person doesnt want to use non of those 3 then he/she/E.T/Jew/Black/Muslim/Buddhist/what-fucking-ever-you-wanted-to-be-today/ then this said person should grow up or not to use toilet

mattsmith48
July 17th, 2017, 02:49 PM
mattsmith48 and other as well why in hell people give shit about what bathroom person uses. Simple solution would be one for boys one for girls and one for disabled persons. And if person doesnt want to use non of those 3 then he/she/E.T/Jew/Black/Muslim/Buddhist/what-fucking-ever-you-wanted-to-be-today/ then this said person should grow up or not to use toilet

Actually the simple solution would be to have a single bathroom for everyone.

jamie_n5
July 17th, 2017, 08:28 PM
I support transgender people and think they should be able to use the bathroom of their transgender identification.

Babs
July 17th, 2017, 08:50 PM
If you're being literal with the term transgender bathroom, I think it'd be unnecessary and redundant. I'm alright with unisex bathrooms, and I don't care who uses which bathroom. If an actual man wants to piss in the women's bathroom, let him idc.

So in practice, I'm "whatever" about it. My personal opinion though, is that it makes the most sense to just use the bathroom with the equipment that suits your biology, like urinals or tampon dispensers for example; whether it says man or woman on the door should be irrelevant and I think transgender people tend to get too caught up in the semantics of it.

NewLeafsFan
August 1st, 2017, 01:39 AM
At the high school that I recently graduated from there is a separate washroom + the regular male and female washrooms. I'm for it. I'm not hurting because of it and I'm sure it makes others feel more welcome. It's called inclusiveness.

Skylake78
September 1st, 2017, 07:37 PM
Both elementary/middle school and high school for me simply had male and female bathrooms and nothing more. The only multi-gender bathrooms were the staff ones, but that was only because they were single-toilet ones where there wouldn't be much of a point to gender separate them anyways. Nearly every school in the city is close to or over 100 years old, so sexuality and gender issues like this were for the most part not socially recognized at the time(again, a single-toilet bathroom is a different story of course). I'd imagine bothering with anything like installing transgender student bathrooms in such old buildings was just more work than it was really worth.

Dalcourt
September 1st, 2017, 09:45 PM
Our school has an unisex bathroom next to the regular ones. Strictly speaking it was the bathroom for disabled people but since we don't have any disabled at our school and it was used by everyone when the other bathrooms were crowded they decided to officially allow everyone to go there.

I personally feel unisex toilets a good thing and never understood why people find something wrong with it...or why people make such a big deal about who goes to what toilet anyway.

EdLord
September 2nd, 2017, 05:09 AM
At our school we have all unisex toilets. It is basically just a normal toilet block without urinals. We have about 1000 students and an equal number of girls and guys. Everyone goes everywhere and no-one cares at all. Obviously no urinals but that isn't such a big deal. Our school does also have quite a few transgender people but they've solved the whole palaver about who should pee where because of the toilet system. It is a bit strange sometimes as I'm still not really use to it as you can leave a stall to wash your hands and a girl can be standing next to you. Its not bad just a little disconcerting.

Stronk Serb
September 2nd, 2017, 09:57 AM
Bathrooms for only trans people make no sense. They are but thebsmallest fraction of the population. Universal bathrooms are okay and gender segregated.

Vermilion
September 2nd, 2017, 10:36 AM
Simple just have mixed / all bathroom's without urinal's then also have male and female bathrooms as well. You don't need a stupid amount of them, my secondary school was about 800 people and there were 2 boys and 2 girls bathrooms and also a bathroom which either would use but not at the same time.

Jthompson
September 3rd, 2017, 09:50 AM
It's not a "transgender" bathroom. It's just a genderless bathroom.