PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and the military

SkullyHedgehog
March 1st, 2014, 05:01 PM
About a year ago, I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. I've gone off my meds and I'm doing great. I am planning on going into the military in about a year. My question is, since I'm not being treated anymore and it's in the past and a lot of teenagers go through it, could it jeparodize my chances if my recruiter found out about it?

Hollywood
March 1st, 2014, 05:07 PM
Well firstly, I would recommend being as honest and open as possible with your recruiter. But honestly, I've suffered, and I'm still suffering from those things and more, and to me it doesn't feel like something that will stop me from getting into the military. Like you said, a lot of people go through these types of things as teenagers and live happy and healthy lives, so I doubt it's going to be an issue for you getting into the military or staying in. I don't think it would hurt to bring it up with your recruiter at all, but I also think you'll be just fine either way.

CcRoder
March 2nd, 2014, 08:44 PM
Depends on what country you're in. I know the Royal Navy/Royal Canadian Navy will take you back, conditionally. The Royal Air Force/RCAF will as well, but conditionally. Defence Forces Ireland does as well.

If you're American, I'm of no use to ya.