PDA

View Full Version : Preventing Acne

Kaeneus
July 16th, 2017, 06:58 AM
I'm recently 18, ftM trans, and just got my first hormone shot (testosterone cypionate) literally two days ago.

My doctor explained to me that transitioning is kind of like going through puberty all over again. Which, yay, can't wait for that /sarcasm/. She also said that the first physical change I'll probably notice is the side effect of acne.

I'm not sure if I'm just noticing it because I'm expecting it, but I'm fairly certain I can already feel my face getting more oily than usual. I'm using an oil free cleanser (cetaphil) twice a day but my face still feels oily and weird by night time. My doctor said not to use it more than twice a day though cause it actually makes it worse and because your face produces more oil in response.

I never had like, super bad acne when I went through 'female' puberty, but I've heard/read/noticed than just in general boys get worse acne and I'd really like to avoid that.

So does anyone have any like... advice or tips? I'd like to avoid actually having to take antibiotics but if that's what it takes....

ska8er
July 16th, 2017, 09:32 AM
Watch ur diet. Cut out all junk food.

SamMystic
July 16th, 2017, 09:35 AM
Make sure your skin isnt greasy or too dry

pjones
July 16th, 2017, 09:51 AM
I'm lucky, never really had acne. I wash my face several time a day with regular soap which you can do as well. Like @sk8ter says diet is important too

Good luck to you

ShineintheDark
July 16th, 2017, 10:56 AM
Wash your face regularly and try and avoid greasy foods

Rguy123
July 16th, 2017, 01:58 PM
you should try the 2 in 1 face wash and mask. idk if they sell it where you live but its worth a shot

Kaeneus
July 16th, 2017, 04:56 PM
you should try the 2 in 1 face wash and mask. idk if they sell it where you live but its worth a shot

I'll try that, thanks!

Blank_
July 16th, 2017, 05:09 PM
I've used something called the Acne Free 24-Hour Acne Clearing System this last week or so. It comes in three parts and claims to show results in as little as three days. So far it has works fantastically well for me and I would recommend it if you're having problems. It really does show results in like 3 days!

jamie_n5
July 16th, 2017, 08:36 PM
I think just keep doing good hygiene like you have and eat fruits and vegetables and try not drink a lot of sodas and other sweet things. Also avoid real greasy snacks like potato chips. I am sure you will be fine. I wish you all luck on your transgender too. I hope all goes well.

Two.Cool.
July 16th, 2017, 09:23 PM
I'd advise seeing a dermatologist, and they can hook you up with some really effective creams, etc. You can buy "Clearasil", in any drugstore, and I find it works pretty well.