PDA

View Full Version : Snap-On vs. Matco vs. Craftsman vs. SK vs. Harbor Freight vs. Proto

Two.Cool.
July 14th, 2017, 07:37 PM
What are your thoughts on each brand? Their pros/cons? If you have any, share any experiences you have with any of the brands and how well they worked . This will help me in making a purchase coming up. Thanks!!:)

biboy_unsure
July 14th, 2017, 08:35 PM
What are your thoughts on each brand? Their pros/cons? If you have any, share any experiences you have with any of the brands and how well they worked . This will help me in making a purchase coming up. Thanks!!

Craftsman for general hand tools such as screwdrivers and other hand drivers... the pro line is better

snap-on for boxes within reason and for hand wrenches for everyday use

matco for cheaper box options and more affordable tool outlet in general

sk for snap-on tool replication and durability as well as warranty

harbor freight for all tools that you use everyday and have no expected life expectancy but value over quality is paramount.

point being simple, choose your tools wisely and know which tools will benefit you regarding quality over prefer-ability.

hope this helps.... Come from mechanic family btw

PlasmaHam
July 14th, 2017, 09:09 PM
Craftsman is high-quality at a reasonable price. Their hand tools and electric tools are particularly nice, though the rest of their products aren't that shabby either.

Snap-on is good for equipment, I've never really liked their tool quality, but if you want good boxes, pumps, and other garage equipment, they are a good buy.

Matco has okay tools for okay prices. They will do the job, but they won't last but for so long.

SK for good quality wrenches and sockets. The price is a bit on the high-side, but you are getting a nice product

Harbor Freight are low-quality tools, but at prices you would kill for. If you want a "use once and done" tool, or a cheap, replaceable, everyday tool, then go with them. But I would never buy from them if I wanted a tool to last through years of tough work.

I've never dealt with Proto-tools as far as I know, so I really can't say much on that.

As stated above, make a wise choice on your tool given your own requirements of it, and its price. Good luck.

SingerInTraining
August 21st, 2017, 05:08 PM
Snap on and Craftsman tools are made in the same factory just changing the molds for the name. My father works there. I don't know anything about the other brands mentioned.

CosmicNoodle
August 26th, 2017, 10:13 PM
It doesn't matter that much at all. People get obsessed over the brands when in reality they can't tell you the difference between an open end and a flare spanner. The simple reality is that a budget set of tools from a "middle of the road" brand will do perfectly well for 99% of jobs. I've rebuilt my bike engine before and at the time I only had a 1/4 inch socket set and a set of sketchy Chinese spanners. Unless you've landed a job as a tech/mechanic just go for a set of second hand Craftsman

That said I do have a Snapon compression tester from 1976 (but only because I got it basically free and repaired it)

KatieCO2003
September 3rd, 2017, 02:43 AM
I have my Grandpa's Craftsman hand tools that he bought in 1970 and used for 35 years. They are very high quality. Then I have a few Craftsman fill-ins that my Daddy bought a few years ago. Mostly sockets. They aren't anywhere near as good and I've already broken two of them.

Daddy says that Grandpa always said the best tool is the one that lets you get your work done without having to constantly f* with it.