PDA

View Full Version : Growing long hair (boy)

Orange Kenny
July 14th, 2017, 02:57 PM
Hey there.

Mods, this is probably not in the right category, but I just can't decide where (if somewhere) it belongs. I'd appreciate it if you didn't lock this up as not puberty related, but rather move it to the right place instead.

For the past few months I'm considering growing my hair out. Long. I mean, not Nightwish bass player Marco Hietala (http://oi63.tinypic.com/2vx4soo.jpg) long, maybe more like this (http://oi64.tinypic.com/favcyr.jpg), this (http://oi64.tinypic.com/x5dufb.jpg), or this (http://oi67.tinypic.com/iptxlj.jpg) minus the hipsterism.

How long does it usually take?
Does it take longer for boys?
How do you like boys with long hair? Do you think it adds up or maybe the opposite? Or makes no difference whatsoever?
Which long hair style would you prefer (or go with)?
Do you think it would look good? Specially, on me? (you can see my profile pic if you want)
Has any boy try it in the past or has long hair now? I'd like an inside opinion. How did you cope with that awkward "not short but not long" phase? What did you do to make it look at least somewhat decent?

Thanks!

mick01
July 14th, 2017, 03:35 PM
I can only answer a couple of your questions.
How long does it usually take?
Does it take longer for boys?
How do you like boys with long hair? Do you think it adds up or maybe the opposite? Or makes no difference whatsoever? It can look super hot on the right guy and I think you would like great with it.
Which long hair style would you prefer (or go with)? the second 'this' is hot.
Do you think it would look good? Specially, on me? (you can see my profile pic if you want) And yes, it would like great on you.
Has any boy try it in the past or has long hair now? I'd like an inside opinion. How did you cope with that awkward "not short but not long" phase? What did you do to make it look at least somewhat decent?
Hope this helped.

Romulus_
July 15th, 2017, 07:09 AM
I have pretty long hair like the ones in the pictures you showed, so here's my input:

How long does it usually take? Everyone's hair grows at different rates, but it takes like 6 weeks for mine to grow an inch or two, so if you're looking to grow yours out like that, it could take multiple months, but not as long as a whole year really.
Does it take longer for boys? I don't think it necessarily takes longer for boys.
How do you like boys with long hair? Do you think it adds up or maybe the opposite? Or makes no difference whatsoever? My personal opinion is that longer hair on guys is good, but only if its given proper care and treatment so it doesn't look gross and dirty.
Which long hair style would you prefer (or go with)? I go with a style similar to the second example you gave, just with bangs.
Do you think it would look good? Specially, on me? (you can see my profile pic if you want) Yeah I think you could make it work.
Has any boy try it in the past or has long hair now? I'd like an inside opinion. How did you cope with that awkward "not short but not long" phase? What did you do to make it look at least somewhat decent? Well first I'd suggest doing it over the Summer, when you aren't going to be around your peers for multiple hours each day, and so the awkward phase is less noticeable. There's really no way to properly cooe with it, I suppose you could wear hats until it's the length you want? Otherwise you pretty much just have to power through it, but it's not going to look too awkward during that period, you should be fine.

Also as a side note, typically when you grow out your hair you'll want to use some sort of product in it I guess. You'll really have to discuss it with your barber, they'll be able to give you he best advice and tips for this. Good luck!

Anniebanannie
July 15th, 2017, 11:06 AM
I really like long hair on guys, so I'd say go for it. Since it will take a while to grow out, you can always alter the style as you go.

April03
July 15th, 2017, 07:20 PM
Your choice but it's better for you to be masculine and keep short hair, more acceptable socially, rather than being one of us with long hair :)

Orange Kenny
July 15th, 2017, 07:41 PM
Thanks everybody so far!

Your choice but it's better for you to be masculine and keep short hair, more acceptable socially, rather than being one of us with long hair :)

That I wanted to ask too. Do you think long hair makes a guy less masculine? And why?

April03
July 15th, 2017, 07:45 PM
That I wanted to ask too. Do you think long hair makes a guy less masculine? And why?

Doesn't make a significant change but it's commonly known long hair = girls, short hair = boys. It's your choice however so good luck :)

Romulus_
July 15th, 2017, 09:39 PM
Thanks everybody so far!

I don't think so, at least I'd say it depends on how long you want it to be. I believe there is a growing trend of longer hair among men, and it doesn't really go far past their shoulders. I think if you keep it about shoulder length at most, then you won't lose any of your masculinity, if you are indeed worried with such a thing

voweL
July 15th, 2017, 10:13 PM
It shouldn't take longer, but they do make vitamins for that. There's hair and nail supplements. Eating fish may also help/ some people also think that rubbing your scalp with a hairbrush makes it grow faster, but I'm not sure if it's true lol.

elmoc
July 15th, 2017, 11:24 PM
I tried once when 14, my hair is kind of curly/wavy, so it looks goofy long. I just had a peach fuzz moustache (not shaving then). I decided to give up when I was at the mall & an older lady told her friend, "doesn't that girl's hair look beautiful?

You have great facial hair, so I don't think you would look feminine at all. I don't ever think of long hair on a guy being masculine or feminine, if it is kept clean & brushed. The 1969 hippie look does not look clean to me.

There are claims that Biotin (in the vitamin area of the store) is supposed to make hair & nails healthier. No idea if it is true

Matryoshkasystem
July 16th, 2017, 01:57 AM
Can't see any of the images-they aren't loading, the site does but not the image-, so do you know the names of the styles? So I can look it up?

How long does it usually take? Depends on your genetics, for me it took only a year to have my buzz cut sides grow out to near-if not the same- length as the long one,mine was a viking style,it's shoulder length now but I like to say it's embracing my indian side-I have both genetically proven viking and Native American-.
Does it take longer for boys? No,well other than starting from base zero, but othe rthan that, it's just genetics.
How do you like boys with long hair? Do you think it adds up or maybe the opposite? Or makes no difference whatsoever?
Depends on what you mean, if you mean looks,depends on the face, if you mean masculinity/femininity just tell them that your going for a look that embraces one of you ancestral links-example Native American, Viking,Asian these all historically had long hair until Westernization/christanization-.
Which long hair style would you prefer (or go with)? You have to find the one that goes with you, so no real imput-though I'm mainly going for shoulder length hair-which I have-.
Do you think it would look good? Specially, on me? (you can see my profile pic if you want)
Depends on if a person actually bothers to maintain it, so it can look great, or look horrible. Also if you have thick hair, be preared to take care of it.
When it gets long enough, and your emberassed pull it up into a ponytail.

jamie_n5
July 16th, 2017, 08:58 PM
How long does it usually take? Depends on how short your hair is now. I would say 6-7 months.
Does it take longer for boys? No about the same.
How do you like boys with long hair? Do you think it adds up or maybe the opposite? Or makes no difference whatsoever? I like long hair. Mine is rather long. It's your preference.
Which long hair style would you prefer (or go with)? I like 2 the best myself.
Do you think it would look good? Specially, on me? (you can see my profile pic if you want) It would be fine.
Has any boy try it in the past or has long hair now? I'd like an inside opinion. How did you cope with that awkward "not short but not long" phase? What did you do to make it look at least somewhat decent? I like mine fine. You can see it on my profile.