PDA

View Full Version : Calif. Democrat Launches Longshot Bid to Impeach Trump

mattsmith48
July 13th, 2017, 11:19 AM
California Democratic Rep. Brad Sherman has filed an article of impeachment against President Donald Trump in a longshot bid to remove the president from office.

Sherman, who represents communities in the San Fernando Valley, filed the article Wednesday. In it, he accuses Trump of obstructing investigations into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election, in part by firing former FBI Director James Comey.

Sherman acknowledges that filing the article is "the first step on a very long road." It is unlikely to move forward in a House and Senate controlled by Republicans, and Democratic leaders have distanced themselves from the effort, believing that it energizes Trump's base.

He has one co-sponsor, fellow Democrat Al Green of Texas

"I have no illusions," he said in a statement last month to the Los Angeles Times. "Articles of Impeachment will not pass the House in the near future. But given the risk posed to the Republic, we should move things forward as quickly as possible."

Sherman issued a draft article in June.

"As the investigations move forward, additional evidence supporting additional Articles of Impeachment may emerge," Sherman said in a statement. "However, as to Obstruction of Justice... the evidence we have is sufficient to move forward now. And the national interest requires that we do so.

"Introducing Articles of Impeachment will have two possible outcomes. First, I have slight hope it will inspire an 'intervention' in the White House. If Impeachment is real, if they actually see Articles, perhaps we will see incompetency replaced by care. Perhaps uncontrollable impulses will be controlled. And perhaps the danger our nation faces will be ameliorated.

"Second, and more likely, filing Articles of Impeachment is the first step on a very long road. But if the impulsive incompetency continues, then eventually -- many, many months from now -- Republicans will join the impeachment effort."

Sherman filed the article a day after the president's son, Donald Trump Jr., acknowledged that he met with a Russian lawyer during the campaign. The lawyer promised damaging information from the Russian government about Democrat Hillary Clinton.

The President has expressed his support for his son, saying that the emails were released to "be totally transparent."

Trump has repeatedly described the ongoing investigation by the FBI and special counsel Robert Mueller into questions about Russia's involvement in the 2016 election as a "hoax" and a "witch hunt." In a tweet Wednesday morning, he against referred to the investigation as "the greatest Witch Hunt in political history."

The Constitution allows Congress to remove officials from high office, including the president. The process starts with the filing of an article or articles of impeachment, which may then be voted on by the House of Representatives.

f one or more articles receives a majority vote, the official is impeached. The impeachment is then tried in the Senate in a proceeding overseen by the chief justice of the Supreme Court.

Only two presidents have been impeached in U.S. history. Bill Clinton was impeached by the House in 1998 on charges of lying under oath to a federal grand jury and obstruction of justice. In 1868, Andrew Johnson was impeached on charges of violating the tenure of office act. Both were later acquitted by the Senate and stayed in office.

In July 1974, lawmakers were preparing for a possible impeachment trial involving President Richard Nixon in the wake of the Watergate scandal after members of the House Judiciary Committee voted to submit three articles of impeachment to the House. The House never voted on those articles -- Nixon announced his resignation in August 1974 and no further action was taken.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/politics/California-Representative-Brad-Sherman-President-Donald-Trump-434111933.html

Dmaxd123
July 13th, 2017, 12:33 PM
going to be the same freaking news for the next 3.5years.

is he the most competent person for the job? no

did he get voted in fair & square? yes

the only russians that swayed the vote were the russians that moved to the US and became legal citizens.

so far i don't really think there is anything to impeach him over

Voice_Of_Unreason
July 13th, 2017, 04:30 PM
Conspiracy theorists. You just gotta love them. Wanting to impeach a president on what you freely admit is based upon no actual evidence.

Flapjack
July 13th, 2017, 05:21 PM
I am glad finally the democrats have woken up and some effort is being made but it is a real understatement to call this a long shot. I do believe that in the future he could be impeached but only when the Republican establishment turns against him and as you can see from Fox News desperately defending and spinning the Trump Jr. collusion story, the republican establishment is still very much behind him. But that won't last long, he is doing lasting damage to both the party and the position of the US in world politics. For now they are trying to take away his social media and control him.

Leprous
July 13th, 2017, 10:03 PM
Fucking idiots. They really do want the VP up there don't they? I'm not a fan of Trump but I am a fan of democracy. He was elected, he won. Stop whining about it. Those who can't handle defeat like this are also not mature enough to even have the right to vote in my opinion. I hate Mike even more to be honest. I wonder, will the democrats ever accept defeat or will they just keep on whining for the next 3.5 years?

mattsmith48
July 13th, 2017, 11:54 PM
Just want to remind people that impeachment is for obstruction of justice not collusion with Russia. We currently have no evidence that President Man-child personally colluded with the Russians in the 2016 election, As far as we know the closest thing to that would be that time during the campaign when he ask Russia on TV to hack Hillary Clinton's email.

This attempt probably won't lead to any impeachment; unless we find something else on Trump or if Trump does something really stupid, which is likely, Mike Pence will still have to wait a little while before starting to scratch out ''Vice'' from his business cards.

Talking about Mike Pence, a lot of people say he's worse than Trump, I would like to know how exactly?

Voice_Of_Unreason
July 14th, 2017, 12:27 AM
mattsmith48 from a liberal standpoint, Pence is much worse. Trump is by all measures a moderate in many respects. He is the first president elected who openly supported gay marriage at his inauguration, he opposes welfare cuts, is liberal on foreign trade, and is arguably pro-abortion. Sure he may say things that contradict that statement, but I think that is more pandering to the conservative base than anything.

Meanwhile, Pence is the sterotypical white Christian conservative male. He is about as hardcore conservative as you can get. Far more conservative than Donald Trump. That's isn't necessarily a bad thing though, unless you are an ultra-liberal like yourself.

Dalcourt
July 14th, 2017, 12:48 AM
mattsmith48 from a liberal standpoint, Pence is much worse. Trump is by all measures a moderate in many respects. He is the first president elected who openly supported gay marriage at his inauguration, he opposes welfare cuts, is liberal on foreign trade, and is arguably pro-abortion. Sure he may say things that contradict that statement, but I think that is more pandering to the conservative base than anything.

Meanwhile, Pence is the sterotypical white Christian conservative male. He is about as hardcore conservative as you can get. Far more conservative than Donald Trump. That's isn't necessarily a bad thing though, unless you are an ultra-liberal like yourself.

Trump is just unfit for the job he does. His childish temper tantrums on Twitter the way he makes the US a joke to the world. These are reasons why I would want Trump away.
I don't have anything against a conservative government as long as it gets shit done. But Trump is just all words and kinda betraying even those who voted for him.
What we have now is just chaos and nobody takes the US serious anymore.
You read what European press wrote about Trump during G20...I don't think we would have looked so bad with a Pence there.

Babs
July 14th, 2017, 09:31 PM
while pence is arguably worse in terms of policy, trump is a nightmare in terms of diplomacy. trump can't shut his big ugly mouth. he's an instigator and a clown. pence has more experience, and by that i mean, yknow, any. unlike trump, he has a filter. trump doesn't give speeches, he just kind of goes on circular tangents in which he uses bombastic language, and childish jabs and threats. he's a reality tv star, not a politician and certainly not a diplomat; we may as well have elected kim kardashian. he is absolutely empty. pence is just like every other ineffectual robot the republican party has unveiled; we can get by with a couple of bushes or a pence. better to be ineffective than damaging.

that said, people have been talking about having trump impeached since before he was inaugurated simply because he's unpopular. realistically i don't see it happening any time soon. i want trump to do well, i really do, because i have to live in this county. but the comey situation has him smelling like eau de nixon so.. let's see where this goes?

mattsmith48
July 15th, 2017, 03:52 PM

Sure he's might be more moderate on a few issues and because his stupidity he might do the right thing from time to time. But hes also a mentally unstable man-child. To me Mike Pence seems to just be a regular republican politician, very pro-rich people and very anti-gay and at worst if they want to get rid of him too all they would have to do is find his Grindr account.

Dmaxd123
July 18th, 2017, 02:17 PM
while pence is arguably worse in terms of policy, trump is a nightmare in terms of diplomacy. trump can't shut his big ugly mouth. he's an instigator and a clown. pence has more experience, and by that i mean, yknow, any. unlike trump, he has a filter. trump doesn't give speeches, he just kind of goes on circular tangents in which he uses bombastic language, and childish jabs and threats. he's a reality tv star, not a politician and certainly not a diplomat; we may as well have elected kim kardashian. he is absolutely empty. pence is just like every other ineffectual robot the republican party has unveiled; we can get by with a couple of bushes or a pence. better to be ineffective than damaging.

that said, people have been talking about having trump impeached since before he was inaugurated simply because he's unpopular. realistically i don't see it happening any time soon. i want trump to do well, i really do, because i have to live in this county. but the comey situation has him smelling like eau de nixon so.. let's see where this goes?

i agree but also disagree with your comments.

I think the diplomacy will turn out just fine as other countries are going to look at trump & General Mattis and think "those too are some crazy mother effers, they just might bomb us if we buzz their war ships, or do a bunch of other stupid stuff"

I think having a bit of a loose cannon in the #1 spot and an honest military man in the #2 will keep others on their toes