PDA

View Full Version : Having to do Chores

evansk8
July 12th, 2017, 11:32 PM
Hi everyone. So now that I live with my uncle and his family they all have chores. I asked what I could do and I was given a choice between unloading the dishwasher (every time its finished) or emptying all the trash bins in the house. Which would you pick? Is it normal to have these types of chores? When I lived with my mom I didn't have any.

Just JT
July 13th, 2017, 12:55 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I'd do both. Your living under so,some else's roof and you wana help? Just jump in and do it bro, do your part.

Yeah it's pretty normal I think. Everyone has chores to some degree. I help with dishes trash and cooking. Help dad with repairs and stuff arounfpd the house if he needs and yard work to. In the fall we all stack the fore wood cause we burn so much. Whatever I can do.

Happy I have this place to live with them. But it also sucks sometimes to like when I needa clean my bathroom

nebula
July 13th, 2017, 02:07 AM
At my mum's house I don't really have any chores, just usually washing up my stuff and cooking my own dinner sometimes. It's usually because she's only working 2 days a week and gets too bored so she cleans a lot.

At my dad's however I have a lot more chores. I usually have to fill and empty the dishwasher accordingly, cleaning and setting the table for dinner and then tidying it away after. I also have to clean my room, the spare room and my bathroom. This is usually it every 2 weeks because I don't see him much but sometimes I can be given a lot more.

ShineintheDark
July 13th, 2017, 06:37 AM
I do a lot of jobs around the house, mainly helping to clean half of it for my mum. It's a pretty usual thing to do to do your bit around the house.

Leon03
July 13th, 2017, 07:48 AM
Living in a family with 4 boys we all have chores. I'd be happy if I had only to unload the dishwasher and taking care of the trash cans :P

So be glad and do them both :D

Elysium
July 13th, 2017, 08:47 AM
It's totally normal to have chores to do and honestly a good habit. It's standard to contribute to the household somehow.

When I'm home it's my job to empty the dishwasher and take out the trash. Between the two, I prefer the dishwasher; I don't have to leave my house, it doesn't smell bad, and it doesn't make me feel gross so I don't have to wash my hands afterwards.

mick01
July 13th, 2017, 09:53 AM
Ya, dude, I agree with JT. You should do both. That's still a fuck lot less than what I have to do.

April03
July 13th, 2017, 09:54 AM
I only make my bed and clean my dishes

Tommy Lion
July 13th, 2017, 11:00 AM
It is totally normal to have chores. Why should parents have to do everything?

SethfromMI
July 13th, 2017, 11:11 AM
completely normal to have chores. and as JT suggested, I would do both. neither chore is really that hard to do, nor will they take a significant amount of time to do. it will not only be helpful, which it will certainly will be, but it will show how you are appreciative of what they're doing for you. all a part of being a family/living in the same house.

cleancut
July 13th, 2017, 11:16 AM
I'd do the trash. I think it must have meant a lot to your uncle for you to ask what you could do to help.

I can't help but feeling sorry for myself when I hear that your chore list is so small. I have week day chores and then a bunch of things I have to do before I go out on Saturday.

Dude, be glad you're not me.

Freckles
July 13th, 2017, 11:29 AM
I think kids should have to do chores. When you're out on your own you'll have to have a job and do all the chores. Might as well get used to it and learn how to do things. Since my mom works I usually am the one to do the cooking. I took a cooking class last year. I also vacuum, dust, and clean the kids' bathroom. With the bathroom my brother helps too. He does the dishes, helps put groceries away, and cleans our room. We do it because it makes mom happy and we like to help. I think your uncle would be happy if you did both jobs.

azurzg
July 13th, 2017, 11:45 AM
Hi everyone. So now that I live with my uncle and his family they all have chores. I asked what I could do and I was given a choice between unloading the dishwasher (every time its finished) or emptying all the trash bins in the house. Which would you pick? Is it normal to have these types of chores? When I lived with my mom I didn't have any.

unloading the dishwasher!

It's totally normal to have chores to do and honestly a good habit. It's standard to contribute to the household somehow.
When I'm home it's my job to empty the dishwasher and take out the trash. Between the two, I prefer the dishwasher; I don't have to leave my house, it doesn't smell bad, and it doesn't make me feel gross so I don't have to wash my hands afterwards.

Indeed! I'll choose clean dishes over garbage every time! And you stated the reasons so well!

Dmaxd123
July 13th, 2017, 12:29 PM
i think its abnormal NOT to have chores

will help you build a good work ethic for when you get a real job and help you be prepared for the real world when you're out on your own

Bull
July 13th, 2017, 01:40 PM
Chores are a normal part of family life. My brother and I had chores from early ages. Living on a ranch we grew up with chores. By the time I was 12 I was doing my own laundry, we were expected to keep our bedroom and bathroom clean, help clear the table and on and on. Now that we live on our own we are well prepared to take on the full responsibility of maintaining a house and its related functions. Doing chores is preparation for life.

And, I give you kudos for asking what you could do.

EvaNL
July 13th, 2017, 04:00 PM
Having chores prepares you for later in life.
I live on my own and have to do everything. I hate cleaning but I don't want my apartment to be a mess. If I don't do it, nobody will. And I'm glad now I had to do chores when I lived with my parents because they taught me how to do them. Figuring everything out on my own would be terrible. I'd starve, for one, if my parents hadn't taught me how to cook.
So, do both. And more. They'll thank you for it and you'll thank yourself for it later in life.

evansk8
July 13th, 2017, 06:11 PM
Wow thanks for all the messages. I offered to do both and my aunt and uncle were happy about that. But he said that for now I just need to do the dishwasher. Brett (my oldest cousin) will have to keep doing the trash. I just finished with the dishwasher and it took about 15 minutes, but I had to learn where all the things go.

Just JT
July 13th, 2017, 07:04 PM
Wow thanks for all the messages. I offered to do both and my aunt and uncle were happy about that. But he said that for now I just need to do the dishwasher. Brett (my oldest cousin) will have to keep doing the trash. I just finished with the dishwasher and it took about 15 minutes, but I had to learn where all the things go.

It's a new home, a new place new people and new rules and standards. Everyone, not just you, needs to make accommodations, and get used to the new changes in the family. It'll just take time and will work out fine.
Trust me. I'm no stranger that shit. Just be flexible is all.
After all, they are right?

Babs
July 13th, 2017, 07:48 PM
uh yeah it's normal to have chores. if you contribute to the mess, you contribute to the cleaning.

i think kids should be given chores, otherwise when they move out they're naked and afraid when there's some dust on the coffee table. kids who never have to do anything grow up to be bitch-ass adults; i wonder what the common denominator is. some people literally don't know how to do anything. like, i've met people who've asked how to make boxed spaghetti with instructions on the side. it's good for children to know a day's work because otherwise they will grow up to be stupid and incapable.

on a vaguely related note, kids should be held to the same standards as adults (not that you should expect them to be perfect every time.) i learned to cook and clean when i was very young; not that i was making beef wellington at age 5 but if you had put me in a kitchen with raw ingredients i wouldn't have starved. i think the first thing i learned to cook was scrambled eggs. from the minute children are physically capable of doing things, they should do things. they should know how to cook and clean, and wailing in the middle of the produce aisle shouldn't be tolerated. if kids learn to be adults while they're kids, they will definitely be adults when they're adults.

tommywalker2004
July 14th, 2017, 03:23 AM
I agree with JT. "It'll just take time and will work out fine."
I also do some jobs at home, and I should contribute to my family.

Just JT
July 14th, 2017, 06:53 AM
uh yeah it's normal to have chores. if you contribute to the mess, you contribute to the cleaning.

i think kids should be given chores, otherwise when they move out they're naked and afraid when there's some dust on the coffee table. kids who never have to do anything grow up to be bitch-ass adults; i wonder what the common denominator is. some people literally don't know how to do anything. like, i've met people who've asked how to make boxed spaghetti with instructions on the side. it's good for children to know a day's work because otherwise they will grow up to be stupid and incapable.

on a vaguely related note, kids should be held to the same standards as adults (not that you should expect them to be perfect every time.) i learned to cook and clean when i was very young; not that i was making beef wellington at age 5 but if you had put me in a kitchen with raw ingredients i wouldn't have starved. i think the first thing i learned to cook was scrambled eggs. from the minute children are physically capable of doing things, they should do things. they should know how to cook and clean, and wailing in the middle of the produce aisle shouldn't be tolerated. if kids learn to be adults while they're kids, they will definitely be adults when they're adults.

Exactly all of this. When I was living with my dad we ate out and ordered out all the time. He had cleaning ladies come in weekely and clean the house.

Now, day one with new family, I was in the kitchen, we all cook together, eat together, and clean together. If it's my space or my mess I clean it. Same for everyone else. And we all divide up other stuff weekly. Vacuuming, trash, recycling etc. I will say it's been better with Ethan around cause my work load got easier lol!!

But yes, it's how we learn to take care of our own shit and not leave it for someone else to do for us. It's important, no matter how much it sucks

meissnercorpuscle
August 4th, 2017, 09:43 PM
It's pretty normal to do chores from where I live. Sometimes, you gotta do adult stuff to learn how to be a responsible adult.

if you contribute to the mess, you contribute to the cleaning.

I completely agree with this

jamie_n5
August 7th, 2017, 07:51 PM
I think a lot of families divide up chores. I think it's a good idea and a way to learn to do things.

NewLeafsFan
August 8th, 2017, 01:01 AM
Definitely choose emptying garbages. Takes less time and gets done less often.

I think that most people do chores to help their family. It seems that your uncle and his family have the chores divided up in a more organised way than most other families.

Chaosphere
August 10th, 2017, 04:20 AM
I usually take care of the stuff downstairs since I have a sort of self-contained area down here. In your situation I'd go with trash bins. It's a less frequent, less intensive chore as opposed to emptying the dishwasher which can be a very frequent activity, lol. I've been on my own for a week before so I've taken care of everything sort of, haha.

pjones
August 12th, 2017, 01:39 PM
I do my own laundry, keep my room and bathroom clean, empty trash, yard work, help clean up after meals. Part of being a family, everyone helps out.