PDA

View Full Version : CNN threatens to reveal private citizen’s identity over Trump meme gif

Living For Love
July 5th, 2017, 07:03 AM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jul/5/cnn-threatens-reveal-reddit-user-real-identity-ove/

CNN has come under fire for suggesting it will publish the identity of a private citizen if he behaves in a way that displeases the network.

Andrew Kaczynski, senior editor of CNN’s KFile, discovered the identity of the Reddit user who made a short video of President Trump tackling a man with CNN’s logo superimposed on his face to the ground.

https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/trump.gif

CNN is withholding the man’s identity “because he is a private citizen who has issued an extensive statement of apology, showed his remorse by saying he has taken down all his offending posts, and because he said he is not going to repeat this ugly behavior on social media again,” Mr. Kaczynski wrote in an article published Tuesday night.

“CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change,” he continued.

The video, taken from a 2007 World Wrestling Entertainment show in which Mr. Trump made an appearance, caused a firestorm when it was posted to Twitter by the president Sunday morning.

CNN denounced the president at the time and said the tweet would “encourage violence against reporters.” [looooooooooooooooooool]

The man behind the video, who goes by the Reddit username “HanA**holeSolo,” posted an apology to Reddit on Tuesday calling the video a “prank, nothing more.”

And here's the CNN news article about this:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/04/politics/kfile-reddit-user-trump-tweet/index.html

(CNN) The Reddit user who initially claimed credit for President Donald Trump's tweet that showed Trump tackling CNN issued an apology Tuesday for the video and other offensive content he posted -- one day after CNN identified the man behind the account and attempted to make contact with him.

Reddit user "HanA**holeSolo" first shared the GIF last Wednesday of Trump pummeling a wrestler with CNN's logo imposed on his face. CNN could find no earlier instance of the GIF. The GIF was later edited into a video with sound and tweeted by the President on Sunday.

On Reddit, "HanA**holeSolo" took credit for inspiring the tweet. Soon after, "HanA**holeSolo's" other posts on Reddit, some of which included racist and anti-Semitic imagery, quickly circulated on social media.

Now the user is apologizing, writing in a lengthy post on Reddit that he does not advocate violence against the press and expressing remorse there and in an interview with CNN for other posts he made that were racist and anti-Semitic.

The apology came after CNN's KFile identified the man behind "HanA**holeSolo." Using identifying information that "HanA**holeSolo" posted on Reddit, KFile was able to determine key biographical details, to find the man's name using a Facebook search and ultimately corroborate details he had made available on Reddit.

After posting his apology, "HanA**holeSolo" called CNN's KFile and confirmed his identity. In the interview, "HanA**holeSolo" sounded nervous about his identity being revealed and asked to not be named out of fear for his personal safety and for the public embarrassment it would bring to him and his family.

CNN is not publishing "HanA**holeSolo's" name because he is a private citizen who has issued an extensive statement of apology, showed his remorse by saying he has taken down all his offending posts, and because he said he is not going to repeat this ugly behavior on social media again. In addition, he said his statement could serve as an example to others not to do the same.

CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change.

And I thought the media in my country were bad. Seriously, though, what the actual f*ck is this? A private organisation saying they reserve the right to dox someone if they do something they don't like? Abhorrent behaviour.

Just JT
July 5th, 2017, 07:39 AM
I really can't say much other than this all just adds to the craziness and how things seem to be going here. It's a complete embarrassment he won.

To all my VT friends abroad, on behalf of those who agree with me, I'm
Sorry. Not much more I can say.

naenaendr
July 5th, 2017, 08:27 AM
Trump is doing this for a reason. (In this post, I'm not saying he's good or bad since I don't think he's either). It's like a cat and a laser. Trump throws up his laser on the wall, then CNN pounces on it for days, maybe weeks, while Trump starts signing bills in the White House. Since the media is so obsessed with his games that he plays, they are literally giving Trump the opportunity to make liberal's lives worse by eliminating health care and so forth. I think liberal media needs to focus on the more important things he is doing to inform Americans of what's going on in their own country.

There's my soapbox, adios

Voice_Of_Unreason
July 5th, 2017, 11:24 AM
This is such a typical example of hypocrisy from the Clinton News Network. First they claim that the president tweeting a satirical video is somehow oppression of their free speech. And then they proceed to threaten someone (likely a teenaged boy) into taking down and apologizing for speech they don't like, without the slightest sense of irony.

Flapjack
July 5th, 2017, 11:59 AM
Yeah that is really fucked up!! Don't get why his name is of any relevance?? Reaching out to him for comment would be fine but releasing his identity would be nasty and pointless, especially considering the backlash he will receive!!

It was probably just a kid posting memes, not his fault the president retweeted it.

naenaendr
July 5th, 2017, 12:40 PM
Yeah that is really fucked up!! Don't get why his name is of any relevance?? Reaching out to him for comment would be fine but releasing his identity would be nasty and pointless, especially considering the backlash he will receive!!

It was probably just a kid posting memes, not his fault the president retweeted it.

Amen brothe'

Katrinchen
July 5th, 2017, 12:53 PM
i think this "man" is not grown up enough to be a president of a country - not even the smallest country

mattsmith48
July 5th, 2017, 02:16 PM
Trump is doing this for a reason. (In this post, I'm not saying he's good or bad since I don't think he's either). It's like a cat and a laser. Trump throws up his laser on the wall, then CNN pounces on it for days, maybe weeks, while Trump starts signing bills in the White House. Since the media is so obsessed with his games that he plays, they are literally giving Trump the opportunity to make liberal's lives worse by eliminating health care and so forth. I think liberal media needs to focus on the more important things he is doing to inform Americans of what's going on in their own country.

I don't think Trump is doing this kind of shit with the purpose to create distractions, unless someone else though of it and explained it to him, he's not smart enough to think of this on is own

This is such a typical example of hypocrisy from the Clinton News Network. First they claim that the president tweeting a satirical video is somehow oppression of their free speech. And then they proceed to threaten someone (likely a teenaged boy) into taking down and apologizing for speech they don't like, without the slightest sense of irony.

Come on CNN doesn't do news

ShineintheDark
July 5th, 2017, 03:57 PM
I don;t support CNN doing this at all since it's inappropriate and makes no sense but I also defend the network's right to make contact and ask for an apology since it is a defmaing derogatory gif of them so they retain the right to be offended by it. Does it allow them to threated to dox someone? of course not.

Voice_Of_Unreason
July 5th, 2017, 04:28 PM
I don;t support CNN doing this at all since it's inappropriate and makes no sense but I also defend the network's right to make contact and ask for an apology since it is a defmaing derogatory gif of them so they retain the right to be offended by it. Does it allow them to threated to dox someone? of course not.
Of course they could make contact with the person, and ask for an apology and retraction. Threatening someone to issue an apology and retraction though, that's not cool. And according to a Georgia Law (CNN is headquartered in Georgia) it is illegal to extort someone by threatening to reveal their identity to the public. This and various other legal questions brought up by this may put CNN in some hot-water.

naenaendr
July 5th, 2017, 06:11 PM
I don't think Trump is doing this kind of shit with the purpose to create distractions, unless someone else though of it and explained it to him, he's not smart enough to think of this on is own

Come on CNN doesn't do news

CNN doesn't do news? CNN has news in it's acronym, that's what CNN stands for

Dalcourt
July 5th, 2017, 08:24 PM

Sure it is a fucked up situation.
I don't think they will ever publicly reveal this person's identity. This might be done "by accident" through other sources.

I guess they just made this threat to kinda scare off other trolls like that. There are so many people who think they can harass others in the anonymity of the net, but it's wrong.
You can be found and exposed.

mattsmith48
July 5th, 2017, 11:37 PM
CNN doesn't do news? CNN has news in it's acronym, that's what CNN stands for

Its just a name, a lot of name or acronym are not representative of what a company actually does, a good example of that is sports networks who spend more time showing shit like car or horse racing or poker than sports. The same thing with CNN who might sometimes do news and journalism, but its mostly corporate propaganda.

robertd2001
July 6th, 2017, 10:47 PM

Good analogy, Rush.

What CNN did was incredibly, unbelieveably inappropriate, trying to frighten average private citizens into not disagreeing with them. Who or what do they think they are?? That said, I can't condone this retaliation, but CNN WAS asking for it:

http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/05/cnn-staff-reeling-after-personal-info-leaked/

Posts merged. Please use the edit function instead of posting consecutively. ~Amethyst Rose

Voice_Of_Unreason
July 6th, 2017, 11:23 PM
Coercion? What coercion?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DD-97BMXcAEBqHR.jpg
The only good thing to come out of this debacle is the amount of hilarious anti-CNN gifs and photo-shops that have hit the web.
Its just a name, a lot of name or acronym are not representative of what a company actually does, a good example of that is sports networks who spend more time showing shit like car or horse racing or poker than sports. The same thing with CNN who might sometimes do news and journalism, but its mostly corporate propaganda.
Reminds me of the History Channel, which would rather do aliens conspiracy theories and reality show nonsense than actual history. But yeah, cable news occasionally does real and serious news, but the majority of it from all channels is just political and corporate propaganda. It disturbs me how many people take cable news very seriously, regardless of channel.

mattsmith48
July 6th, 2017, 11:42 PM
Reminds me of the History Channel, which would rather do aliens conspiracy theories and reality show nonsense than actual history. But yeah, cable news occasionally does real and serious news, but the majority of it from all channels is just political and corporate propaganda. It disturbs me how many people take cable news very seriously, regardless of channel.

History Channel is a better comparison, never thought of it good one.

That's what happens the news become a business and the need to make profit take over reporting the news and using facts.

Flapjack
July 7th, 2017, 05:27 AM
I do find it hilarious when everyone hates on CNN but they watches fox news taking it literally XD Although mattsmith48 is right, they are influenced by the need to make a profit so exaggerate and even fake but I think the corporations that own they also have a large influence.

Voice_Of_Unreason
July 7th, 2017, 05:59 PM
CNN is having a tough summer so far. First they staged a Muslim protest in London. Then they've had 3 "reporters" resign due to fabricating an anti-Trump story. After that, hidden videos were released by Project Veritas, in which CNN officials basically admitted to being fake news. Then they threatened an individual into an apology and retraction for a meme they didn't like. All the while getting constantly stomped on by the President of the USA. Its hard to believe people are still defending CNN as legitimate reporting.

Uniquemind
July 10th, 2017, 12:25 AM
My personal belief is you shouldn't talk smack about other people in general, but if you are going to do so, make sure you are prepared to not be anonymous when you do so.

This grey area is created based on our outdated laws regarding how information circulates.

His other option was to let himself get doxxed and then countersue.

Phosphene
July 12th, 2017, 03:36 PM
Please keep replies relevant to the topic of the thread and, if you see an off-topic post, do not respond and take the thread farther off course - simply report it. ~Amethyst Rose