PDA

View Full Version : Job interviews!!

Flapjack
July 3rd, 2017, 04:24 PM
Okayyy so I like want to get a job to save money up for uni, go abroad and get a car etc etc however I have reallyyyy bad social anxiety when it comes to meeting new people and so I thought I would ask my awesome friends on vt for some advice??

First of all I applied to sooo many jobs and get like 5 phone calls a day now because of it!!! I am normally too anxious to answer!! Have any of you guys been though this?? How did you cope?? I am also worried because I don't know what job they are calling up about.....

Secondly I did answer one and a guy with a very deep and majestic voice told me he wanted a phone interview with me and we arranged to do this Thursday and so my next question is wtf is a phone interview, I have no idea what job it is for and should I drink before to take the edge off????

I knowww this is long so sorry but thanks for reading <3

Just JT
July 3rd, 2017, 09:24 PM
What kinda jobs you apply for?
Not sure abut a phone interview, maybe someone older here knows
Had a couple race to face before. Just be yourself. Look them in the eye, and answer their questions hosestly, and confidently. Have a firm handshake. Speak clear and loud enough so they hear you and don't mumble. SoCal anxiety will be hard you here. Just relax and go with it. Maybe practice with mom or dad some before hand.

ItsJustSomeone
July 3rd, 2017, 09:30 PM
Oh dear- well, I haven't ever gotten a job before (will be soon!) but one of my friends did. He was kind enough to offer me from gracious wisdom for the future, haha!

Well, for starters, remember that the people interviewing you are humans too, even if they have more experience. It sounds weird, but reminding myself that they're not about to kill me over for stumbling over a word or two helps. Take a deep breath, and be the best version of yourself. Just speak up, relax, and stay confident. Have good eye contact and practice active listening.

Next, if you're going to any interviews in person, make sure to dress up appropriately. No, you don't need to go in suit and tie, but look neat and tidy. A nice button-up shirt, perhaps. Your appearance in these situations will affect your first impression, so make it worthwhile. It'll help perk you up and increase your confidence.

Finally, phone interviews- same thing as interviews in person! Same questions and answers, just without the face-to-face conversation. Speak clearly as possible and act normal, really. Be prepared for any questions which your employer might ask, and answer them as well as you can.

I know this isn't much, but I hope it still helps you calm down a bit! Trust me, you're bound to get a job soon as long as you stay positive and determined.
Good luck! :D

(PS: When you don't know who it is... just say hi, your name, and ask who it is politely. ;)

SethfromMI
July 3rd, 2017, 09:32 PM
Okayyy so I like want to get a job to save money up for uni, go abroad and get a car etc etc however I have reallyyyy bad social anxiety when it comes to meeting new people and so I thought I would ask my awesome friends on vt for some advice??

First of all I applied to sooo many jobs and get like 5 phone calls a day now because of it!!! I am normally too anxious to answer!! Have any of you guys been though this?? How did you cope?? I am also worried because I don't know what job they are calling up about.....

Secondly I did answer one and a guy with a very deep and majestic voice told me he wanted a phone interview with me and we arranged to do this Thursday and so my next question is wtf is a phone interview, I have no idea what job it is for and should I drink before to take the edge off????

I knowww this is long so sorry but thanks for reading <3

First off congrats on having so many calls about places your interested in! That is great to have possible choices to choose from

haha well don't drink, esp if your not going to be in full control of yourself.

phone interviews can be pretty common. they ask you many of the same questions as if you would come in, but it saves them time to be able to make the call and usually once they have a certain number people narrowed down, they will have you come in, either for another interview or to go over stuff. just speak slowly, clearly, and honestly.

for help with interviews in general, there are tons of sites out there with practice questions. things like what are your best strengths and weaknesses (don't say you have any, but do be careful what you say. to be honest, that is one of the hardest ones to answer sometimes haha).

as far as knowing which is which you could one look up the number to see where they're calling from or politely ask them. they know kids our age are looking for work and probably have applied at more than one place. usually they say at the beginning of the call. it is better to ask sooner rather then later.

as far as anxiety, be yourself. you don't want to be cocky, but it is an interview, you are trying to sell yourself. most places want to know if you will show up on time, not come in drunk/on drugs, and your going to do what you can to give your best effort. unless your applying for a professional job, in which case you might need some more experience. deep breathes. and try to remember, if you don't get one, there will be others.

best of luck to you! :)

Melodic
July 4th, 2017, 09:26 AM
Adding on to the other comments

Since this will be your first job, the hiring manager will be a little bit more easy on you. Take that to your advantage by showing up professional to your face to face interviews. No jeans, sneakers, or sandals. Think of a business casual look. A dress shirt, slacks, and loafers. The way you dress to your interview gives managers a first impression of how you will represent the company.

There are plenty of resources online to practice job interview questions. A site I found extremely useful throughout job interviews is Glassdoor. You can look up a company that you applied to and/or will be interviewing with. Former/current employees add questions that they received through the interview process & gives honest reviews of the company.

Look up the companies you are applying to & get their backstory. If you have some knowledge of the company's history & mission, use this information as you answer questions. Also be sure to find some questions to ask of your own. This is optional but it will help you in the long run decide if the company is a good fit for you personally.

Flapjack
July 5th, 2017, 03:15 PM
Heyyyy oh my gosh guys thanks for all the advice!! <3 Update it I got invited to 2 interviews, one was today which I missed because I don't read my emails and the other is tomorrow which I am both really nervous and excited for!! The phone interview is tomorrow but doubt I would answer I am waayy too awkward on phones xD

Seriously thanks for all your advice it means so much and helped so much <3 <3 <3
Melodic I completely forgot to research the company!! Thanks for reminding me and I will deffo ask questions of my own!!

My planned questions are:
- What is the work environment like here?
- Describe an average day working here
- Any opportunities for career progression??

What do you think?? :)

(PS: When you don't know who it is... just say hi, your name, and ask who it is politely. :wink:
Oh you would hope so but he just said he was calling up about the job in [the town next to me] which narrows it down to about 200ish because of how many I applied to xD

What kinda jobs you apply for?
Mainly stuff like warehouseman and factory operatives :) Just a temp job, don't judge me too much xD

I will keep you updated on how the interview tomorrow goes!! :)

Just JT
July 6th, 2017, 06:34 PM
I learned recently never to judge someone for the wor they do.
Their working, at whatever that can do. What ever that means for them

So take pride bro, you'll be working, making bank!!

Mars
July 6th, 2017, 07:17 PM
Good to hear you're coping. I was pretty nervous my first interview and it ended up fine.

Recommendations for your questions tho,
-What days/hours will I be working?
-Will I be working the same days and hours every week? Or does it change?
-What are the specific responsibilities for this position? (If not given)
-How busy does the workplace get throughout the week? Should I be expecting some busier days than others besides weekends?
-Are there any other management or staff members I should meet before starting the job?
-If im offered this position, how soon will I be starting?

Melodic
July 7th, 2017, 10:35 AM
My planned questions are:
- What is the work environment like here?
- Describe an average day working here
- Any opportunities for career progression??

What do you think?? :)

Those are great questions! Just make sure to have a couple back up questions because sometimes the hiring manager will explain the work environment and an average day working there before they ask if you have any questions.

Mars listed quite a few good questions to choose from!

DerBear
July 31st, 2017, 02:51 PM
A phone interview is just like a face to face interview but done over the phone. It can be less intensive than a face to face interview as they might ask less questions. It could be a pre stage before being invited to a face to face interview.

Coolteenboy
July 31st, 2017, 03:52 PM
Adding on to the other comments

Since this will be your first job, the hiring manager will be a little bit more easy on you. Take that to your advantage by showing up professional to your face to face interviews. No jeans, sneakers, or sandals. Think of a business casual look. A dress shirt, slacks, and loafers. The way you dress to your interview gives managers a first impression of how you will represent the company.

There are plenty of resources online to practice job interview questions. A site I found extremely useful throughout job interviews is Glassdoor. You can look up a company that you applied to and/or will be interviewing with. Former/current employees add questions that they received through the interview process & gives honest reviews of the company.

Look up the companies you are applying to & get their backstory. If you have some knowledge of the company's history & mission, use this information as you answer questions. Also be sure to find some questions to ask of your own. This is optional but it will help you in the long run decide if the company is a good fit for you personally.

This, and DEFINITELY do not drink before.

Just JT
July 31st, 2017, 09:52 PM
Flapjack
How'd it go?

Flapjack
August 1st, 2017, 06:44 AM
@Flapjack (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/member.php?u=122060)
How'd it go?
I got all the way there, freaked out and came back home xD I have applied to some more... hopefully I do better with them xD

Just JT
August 1st, 2017, 07:14 AM
I got all the way there, freaked out and came back home xD I have applied to some more... hopefully I do better with them xD

That's ok. Another day, another try. Good job trying though ok?

nebula
August 1st, 2017, 07:14 AM

You'll get used to them in time buddy!! Of course you may be a bit nervous each time but after a couple of times it will feel like second nature :)