PDA

View Full Version : Dealing With Nightmares

Freckles
July 2nd, 2017, 08:35 PM
Two years ago my dad was killed in Afghanastan. It was hard for a long time but I got stronger and dealt with it pretty well. Lately I've been having nightmares or an army helicopter landing in my yard and taking me away insisting I have to take my dad's place in the war. I wake up and have to turn the light on to make sure I'm in my room. I feel like I'm losing it when I have to be strong for my mom and little sister. Any of you who know me know I'm a sensible kid who cares but I don't feel the same anymore and it scares me. I get angry quicker, I don't really want to go out with my friends, and I feel like more is expected of me than I can do. Please know that this is more venting than expecting answers cause there's really nobody I can talk about it to in real life.

Just JT
July 2nd, 2017, 09:20 PM
Hey
I know you may not expect a desponce but I will. I think your still grieving your dad's death. I am my dad's also. It sucks. Dreams mean all kinds of things. And I think it's mostly a way for your mind to deal with conflict within you.

You feeling there's more being expected of you, and your Dream
Of you taking dad's place. May not be just in war bro....think you may be feeling that way in life and with mom and sis.

Just know it's pretty normal I think. Maybe try and talk to a counselor about stuff. Death of anyone is a big loss. Especially your dad. Shouldn't be expected to go that alone.

We're here for ya bro, ok?
I'll talk anytime with you

jamie_n5
July 29th, 2017, 09:13 PM
You are still going through the stages of loss and grief. You really need to talk to someone and let things out. I know you feel you should be strong for your family but your mom is still your mom. You still need her as a mom to talk to. She will understand believe me. I lost my little brother to cancer 12 years ago. The hell of dealing with that and trying to function was very hard sometimes. I sure know where you are coming from and can't imagine how hard it is to loose a young dad and being young yourself. You have my sympathy and understanding. You really need to talk to someone. Maybe your minister or school counselor or a regular counselor. You definitely need to get this out and deal with it before it more drastically affects your life more.