PDA

View Full Version : Coping strategies for ADHD that don't require meds?

JacoboBlandonPineda
June 29th, 2017, 12:35 AM
Hi. Over the past year or so, I've been trying to get some form of treatment for my ADHD, since it affects me quite a lot in every possible way. I was thinking about meds such as Ritalin, Adderall that could help me get through this issues.

However, my psychiatrist isn't convinced of giving me pharmaceutical treatment just yet (and because of my concern he did some tests on which I didn't score enough to have ADHD, even though he did the same with me over a decade ago and got positive results for ADHD) because it's a delicate matter, and instead insists it's because of my anxiety (which is plasible, as I get very anxious when distracted).

He suggested I research non-pharmaceutical treatment and coping strategies for ADHD, and try to apply them to see how well I did before deciding to take the medical treatment.

So, I was wondering which strategies to focus better, stay on one task at a time, and to cope with the other symptoms could you recommend for me? I am serious need of advice, as I am not doing particularly well in school.

Thanks in advance.

Just JT
July 1st, 2017, 08:21 AM
Different things will work differently for different people. A lot like meds. Did your Dr make any recommendations? Seems to me he/she shoulda helped with some options for younto try other than just not prescribing meds and letting you to figure it out for yourself. That's how self medicated issues can start bro

Jeff1857
July 26th, 2017, 01:41 PM
Before I got on medication. Coffee and making list really helped. Also taking breaks when trying to get stuff done. Breaking it into little tasks also helped but it is a lot of work.

elmoc
July 28th, 2017, 10:14 PM
I agree with JT. It would have been nice if your doctor had given you some suggestions. Do you have the option of seeing a psychologist or some type of talk therapist that would have non-medical information for you?

Also, there is a lot of good info on internet sites & ADHD forums