PDA

View Full Version : Am I weird/old in my music taste?

Jilly
June 28th, 2017, 01:51 PM
I turned 16 not long ago. I think I can legitimately say I am still young by most standards. I used to listen mostly to the stuff most ppl my age do, which is mostly new stuff.

Anyways, so this goes back a year. My fam was on a vacation and my dad spent the whole car trip with his CDs on. So, obviously my dad is old. He listened to a lot of the bands who he listened to when he was younger, so it was stuff like Guns N Roses and Led Zeppelin and the Who and the Rolling Stones.

And I started to think to myself "OMG This is amazing! This is really good!"

Since I got home, I started hitting spotify and listening and I keep thinking "Wow, that rocks so much." and I think some of that guitar and stuff is absolutely amazing and it just is so catchy that it makes me want to move.

Has not completely ruined me for "normal" stuff. I still like Lady Gaga a lot, but I'd say maybe 90% of the stuff I really like is basically 1990 or earlier, which is pretty old.

Does this make me weird or out of date? I love Guns N Roses, but the guys in that band are old like my dad. I think the Rolling Stones rock, but Mick Jagger (the lead of the band) is old like a grandpa! I mean, really really old!

And I figure, if some of them are still out there and I were to ever go to a concert, chances are I'm going to be the one teen dancing while a bunch of gray haired grannies are there and taking a nap.

A few weeks ago, I saw the Van Helen guy on a video being interviewed and I could not believe how old he looked.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Am I stuck in some kind of time warp?

If I am, like, really, guys, listen to some of this stuff, because they do really rock so hard.

azure moonstone
June 28th, 2017, 02:34 PM
You're definitely not alone in liking this type of music. There are many teens, including myself and lots of others on this forum (from what I have seen) who like the same kind of music. I like a lot of 70s-90s pop and rock, and the one local radio station that I actually listen to - that's what they play.

Bull
June 28th, 2017, 02:47 PM
Listening to my grandfathers records from the 50s and 60s and even some stuff from the 40s I developed an appreciation for that era of pop music. The slow dance music is so cool!

Jilly
June 28th, 2017, 06:04 PM
I thought old music would all be really slow and sedate and mellow, but it's not. Some of them, like Guns N Roses are really rocking hard. Actually, a lot of old rock is really loud and fast paced. It's not mellow at all. It really does rock.

Amethyst Rose
June 28th, 2017, 10:29 PM
You like what you like, what era it's from really has no impact on the quality of musicianship. I like a lot of music that could be considered "old" too. Tbh I get amused when people call the 80s old as I like a lot of jazz from the first half of the 1900s... that's my idea of old :lol: and GNR and Led Zeppelin = great bands. :)

Sublime Demonz
June 29th, 2017, 07:47 PM
It is definitely not weird. My music taste goes from one end completely to the other. I always thought I was weird for the way my music taste twists so much, but eventually I learned to be proud of it. Music taste is one of the things unique to a person and no one should ever feel ashamed of it or like they have to hide it from other people. Embrace it, it's one of the things that make you who you are.

mookie
July 8th, 2017, 06:11 PM
My dad always has that music going so I've gotten to like it too

TheSmokingMan
July 8th, 2017, 10:09 PM
I turned 16 not long ago. I think I can legitimately say I am still young by most standards. I used to listen mostly to the stuff most ppl my age do, which is mostly new stuff.

Anyways, so this goes back a year. My fam was on a vacation and my dad spent the whole car trip with his CDs on. So, obviously my dad is old. He listened to a lot of the bands who he listened to when he was younger, so it was stuff like Guns N Roses and Led Zeppelin and the Who and the Rolling Stones.

And I started to think to myself "OMG This is amazing! This is really good!"

Since I got home, I started hitting spotify and listening and I keep thinking "Wow, that rocks so much." and I think some of that guitar and stuff is absolutely amazing and it just is so catchy that it makes me want to move.

Has not completely ruined me for "normal" stuff. I still like Lady Gaga a lot, but I'd say maybe 90% of the stuff I really like is basically 1990 or earlier, which is pretty old.

Does this make me weird or out of date? I love Guns N Roses, but the guys in that band are old like my dad. I think the Rolling Stones rock, but Mick Jagger (the lead of the band) is old like a grandpa! I mean, really really old!

And I figure, if some of them are still out there and I were to ever go to a concert, chances are I'm going to be the one teen dancing while a bunch of gray haired grannies are there and taking a nap.

A few weeks ago, I saw the Van Helen guy on a video being interviewed and I could not believe how old he looked.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Am I stuck in some kind of time warp?

If I am, like, really, guys, listen to some of this stuff, because they do really rock so hard.

My God no!
If you ask me you're into all the right music!
I love music from the 60s, 70s, and 80s.
I also listen to Baroque, Classical, and Romantic era music as well.

I'll give you a sampling of my favorites so you can travel down the rabbit hole a little farther!
Just so you find more things to like!
This is fantastic!
Don't ever think it's weird!
Music is all about expression, communication, and what speaks to you. Never let anyone else define what good music is to you. Not even me. Music needs to feed your soul and inspire you!
Keep on keeping on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqPra5fCwwg&list=PLS9Sv4kqhVzt9IVmyRNQw4j4U1Yg97tVt&index=47
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PhOfJhJKZk&list=PLS9Sv4kqhVzt9IVmyRNQw4j4U1Yg97tVt&index=51
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swicdtaddy0&index=75&list=PLS9Sv4kqhVzt9IVmyRNQw4j4U1Yg97tVt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCDZzf4ragg&index=82&list=PLS9Sv4kqhVzt9IVmyRNQw4j4U1Yg97tVt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZSgwQoTeiQ&index=97&list=PLS9Sv4kqhVzt9IVmyRNQw4j4U1Yg97tVt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea0D7T5VfB4&index=115&list=PLS9Sv4kqhVzt9IVmyRNQw4j4U1Yg97tVt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E12YAuAYjLQ&list=PLS9Sv4kqhVzt9IVmyRNQw4j4U1Yg97tVt&index=121
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVFV-PAw5t4&index=153&list=PLS9Sv4kqhVzt9IVmyRNQw4j4U1Yg97tVt

PlasmaHam
July 8th, 2017, 10:52 PM
Dude, I love to listen to folk music from the late-1800s. Listening to music from the 1990s or 80's is not weird in the slightest. Sure it may not be the most common music teens are listening to these days, but it doesn't mean you are somehow weird for listening to it.

Dalcourt
July 9th, 2017, 07:25 AM
Yeah, as the others said there's nothing wrong with listening to this kind of music.
I personally listen to classical music, blues from the 40s, Irish folk and rockmusic from the 60s to the 2000s.
Sure some people make fun of me as they just listen to contemporary hip hop and pop music but I honestly don't care.

Vegas2933
July 15th, 2017, 06:57 AM
Nobody's music taste is weird! It helps define character. :)

TheAP
July 15th, 2017, 05:11 PM
Don't worry! You should never be ashamed of your music taste. Everyone is different, and that's great! And lots of teens like older music. Personally, I like both old and new music.

lliam
July 16th, 2017, 02:55 AM
my music taste changed a lot through the last few years.
at age 11-14 it was mostly death metal or metal in general.

then I heart blues, ska, reggae even jazz and classic music from the 19th 20th century.

also I often listen to old Rock music from the 1960s 1970s.
I also like to hear medieval rock, folk rolk, gaelic punk etc.

It doesn't matter what decade, century, or millennium music comes from, when music appeals to me, I'll listen to this kind of music.

I guess, when you like the music your dad heard in his younger years, this isn't a sign of being old-fashioned or such. You just developped your own taste of music.

TBH, better to have a special taste of music or whatelse ever, than having none, or just pretend to like the music that most others hear all day.

And finally, good music is always timeless.

Davestovies
July 18th, 2017, 04:26 PM
Definitely not alone. I'm not into to much chart music of today and I'm 16. I only really listen to stuff from the 60's to the 90's

ska8er
July 21st, 2017, 05:50 PM
Don't judge music by its age but by quality.
Never feel that u must explain y u like certain
music. Each person is entitled to like what they
want. Good music is timeless.

Coolteenboy
July 21st, 2017, 06:07 PM
Sounds like u just have an overall appreciation of music.
Most music is timeless. Good tunes r good tunes, if u listen to them when theyre popular or 10 years down the pike.
If u label things, imo label ANYTHING in life u r limiting ure options and experience, and enjoyment of life!
IMO only.

ethan-s
July 30th, 2017, 06:31 PM
I like classic music. I can't stand all of the talentless garbage people call music these days.

SingerInTraining
August 19th, 2017, 07:49 PM
I love old music. I live with my grandparents and they have tons of old records from the 70's and 80's we listen to all the time. This is the kind of music I sing and they style I write in. I also do what they did a lot then and record my own harmonies on separate tracks. I think the old stuff is far better than any modern music.

jennycakes
August 24th, 2017, 07:14 PM
You are not weird. My parents introduced me to GNU, Queen, Pink Floyd just to name a few road trips. At first i was mad because I didn't want to listen to old people music. But I was surprised at how good that stuff was.

Freckles
August 24th, 2017, 08:31 PM
Music was made to soothe the mind. There are many minds and many kinds of music. It doesn't matter what genre you like to listen to as long as it pleases you. I love oldies and don't really care for modern music at all.

BlackParadePixie
August 24th, 2017, 09:50 PM
not weird at all. I'd say MOST of the music I listen to was made before I was born.

Adarest
August 25th, 2017, 05:29 PM
I wouldn't say you're weird for liking 70s style of classic rock. I still listen to 80s synth songs, myself and enjoy the upbeat and happy moods from the music or the era. Another band I like to listen to is Earth, Wind, and Fire, since they have active and dance type music, with wonderful lyrics. Everyone has their own preferences, so don't be afraid of being different. Enjoy yourself!

Sonicomsk
August 31st, 2017, 10:50 AM
I'm sorry, is it "I was born in wrong generation" thread?
but imo modern music is pretty meh
70% of my playlist is from 90s and early 00s

CosmicNoodle
August 31st, 2017, 11:10 AM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/2k0SmqbBIpQ/maxresdefault.jpg

No, you're not the only person in your generation that appreciates good music. Believe it or not you're also not the only person to listen to some of the most iconic and popular music ever made.