View Full Version : Expectations for College?

June 26th, 2017, 01:41 AM
So, I'd like to go to college/university for a degree in psychology. But I don't know how likely that is, because I was a TERRIBLE student in high school. I barely finished my last year and the highest ACT score I got was a 21. Would this stop me from being accepted into a college? I'd honestly love to go for both the experience and to study something I'm genuinely interested in (which not doing so was a reason I didn't do well in high school.)

It would also have to be at least a year after finishing high school, not sure how much it matters whether someone goes to college immediately or not.

Any advice appreciated. :)

June 29th, 2017, 06:24 PM
its good to study something you like , i wasnt good at high either but i just finished a culinary college and it was fine . Just check what do you need to do to join a psycology college and go for it . its not something special , i would say its like school just with adults in. i wish you good luck .

Deleted User
June 29th, 2017, 08:01 PM
It absolutely doesn't matter when you go to college. There's a man in my program who rather deceptively looks our age somehow but he's 46, has two kids, a wife, and honestly? He's as into all of this as we are. You're never too old to want to learn. And it can be good to take a year off. We're in school from as young as 3 to 19 in some cases. That's a long damn time. Take your time. There's no rush.

Be prepared though, college is a lot of work no matter what type of program you're in. If you want something, you have to work for it. You're going to end up taking mandatory courses that you may not like as much as the rest of your major. Put in the effort even if it's just enough to pass. But moral of the story? You're going to be busy. Time management will be your best skill though don't feel bad if it takes awhile to figure out. I'm a fully independent adult and I'm still working on it.

If you're studying something you're interested in, the rest will be worth it. And absolutely do not feel bad if you change your mind. A lot of people do. But if you love your program and put in the work, you'll be fine. Also, remember to have fun.

(As for the ACT, I apologize because I'm Canadian and none of those scores mean anything to me so you'll have to find another American to help you there. Hope the rest helps though!)

June 30th, 2017, 12:23 PM
I mean, if you were expecting to get into a Harvard or a Yale, that would be quite unlikely. But there are definitely plenty of other schools that are still good that would accept you in a heartbeat. However, some of them can be expensive and you might not get a proper scholarship, so a good place to start may be a community college. At a community college, you barely have to pay any money to attend and you're almost guaranteed to get in, so you could go there and improve your grades enough so that when you apply for a university in order to get a degree, you would hopefully get a scholarship too.

July 5th, 2017, 04:45 PM
i would find the university(ies) you are interested in then talk to admissions as well as a professor in the program you are interested in.

if they school doesn't seem to interested as is, ask about starting at a community college getting some of the gen-ed credits done then transferring in once you "prove yourself" as a college student

July 5th, 2017, 06:42 PM
Since you did not achieve high academic success in HS you might want to contact your local community college for a starting point. Admission is much easier and a counselor can put you on track to achieve your academic goals. From CC you can matriculate to a four year college to complete your degree. Good luck!