PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to drive, and I don't want a license

Kooy
June 25th, 2017, 06:59 PM
Im tariffed of driving. I mean im scared of cars in general, i hate riding. Ive never been in an accident but im tariffed I will be. Once we merged on the interstate and I screamed because a simi was on the lane next to us. I actually thought we where going to get hit. I can't focus for long periods of time and i have medical issues. My friends are getting there licenses and my mom keeps bragging over them and trying to push me to get one but I don't want to step one foot in the DMV. My mother nags and pushes and have even threatened to take things away from me but I really didn't want to ever be behind the wheel of any vehicle out there. I don't trust myself, and I definitely don't trust others enough to ever drive. Just thinking about driving fills me with anxiety. I honestly believe the first time i ever drive would be my death.

DriveAlive
June 25th, 2017, 07:04 PM
You should definitely give it a try. I was really nervous to drive on the highway for the first time and I still hate driving in the city. I find driving to be incredibly relaxing and fun. You just need to get used to it.

Nadin
June 25th, 2017, 07:08 PM
I agree with DriveAlive,you should definitely try.

Kooy
June 25th, 2017, 07:27 PM
You should definitely give it a try. I was really nervous to drive on the highway for the first time and I still hate driving in the city. I find driving to be incredibly relaxing and fun. You just need to get used to it.

I agree with DriveAlive,you should definitely try.

I don't know how it's relaxing. Im worce then wendixy (the dog) when it comes to being a passenger. Im a nervous wreck and the idea of controling and being responsible for 2 tons of metal and potentially other people is horrifying. I honestly get the falling feeling you get when you fall asleep just from thinking of driving. I can't possibly keep anything between the lines. I mean ive used a wheel and peddle in racing games and im hitting everything even when im trying its mot just im scared of driving im scared of being im moveing vehicles all together. I flinch when people pass.. Ill just have a panic attack on the road and wreck. Or ill swerve out if my lane and get hit. I don't feel safe being behind the wheel. I don't feel safe being in a car anyway.

Dalcourt
June 25th, 2017, 07:45 PM
I can relate to your feelings somehow. I was in a very bad car accident last year and I always feel nervous now when riding in a car. I had started doing my license but stopped again since I felt uncomfortable and there's only maybe two or three people I feel save in a car with.
Still I can't let my fear and anxiousness control me so I start taking up driving lessons again, soon. I feel uncomfortable thinking about it but it's an important step I have to make if I wanna lead a normal life.
So give it a try...I'm sure you can do it.

Phosphene
June 25th, 2017, 07:52 PM
It's inconsiderate of your mom to be so pushy. Does she know how anxious the thought of driving makes you?

I honestly think that you should give it a try, regardless of your fear. Who knows, you may come to enjoy it more than you anticipated. Yes there are risks driving, but there are also risks being a pedestrian or being driven by others due to reckless people. There are people who physically aren't able to drive, so even if you end up deciding it's not for you, I highly encourage you to try as you do have the ability.

Kooy
June 25th, 2017, 08:27 PM
I can relate to your feelings somehow. I was in a very bad car accident last year and I always feel nervous now when riding in a car. I had started doing my license but stopped again since I felt uncomfortable and there's only maybe two or three people I feel save in a car with.
Still I can't let my fear and anxiousness control me so I start taking up driving lessons again, soon. I feel uncomfortable thinking about it but it's an important step I have to make if I wanna lead a normal life.
So give it a try...I'm sure you can do it.

I wish i was able to get up and try but its debilitating to think about controlling a vehicle thats not digital..

It's inconsiderate of your mom to be so pushy. Does she know how anxious the thought of driving makes you?

I honestly think that you should give it a try, regardless of your fear. Who knows, you may come to enjoy it more than you anticipated. Yes there are risks driving, but there are also risks being a pedestrian or being driven by others due to reckless people. There are people who physically aren't able to drive, so even if you end up deciding it's not for you, I highly encourage you to try as you do have the ability.

I don't think i do have the ability. How my brain is wired I honestly don't think I could multitask and get anything done. I don't know how to remember my way around and though physically i drive im mentaly handicapped. Driving takes focus I don't have. I don't think i can get over this fear. Id rather hold a spider or sit next to fire and those are things im horrified of. I wish I could describe the feeling i get just for thinking about a road moving beneath me…

Agent X
June 25th, 2017, 08:34 PM
IDK about where you live, but in the rural USA it is impossible to get anywhere without a car, so driving is truly a lift skill. For that reason, I learned to drive at age 15 and now have a license. I don't mind freeway driving, but that's because I have practiced in easier situations. I think you shouldn't worry about timing. If you're not comfortable now, then wait until you are, but definitely keep practicing in parking lots and neighborhood streets. There are very few places (in the US at least) where you could get away with never driving, so I think you need to give it a try.

Kooy
June 25th, 2017, 09:01 PM
IDK about where you live, but in the rural USA it is impossible to get anywhere without a car, so driving is truly a lift skill. For that reason, I learned to drive at age 15 and now have a license. I don't mind freeway driving, but that's because I have practiced in easier situations. I think you shouldn't worry about timing. If you're not comfortable now, then wait until you are, but definitely keep practicing in parking lots and neighborhood streets. There are very few places (in the US at least) where you could get away with never driving, so I think you need to give it a try.

I really don't think i can.. I know it's one of those things that makes life easier but I honestly don't believe I have the ability to drive without deaster happening.

DriveAlive
June 25th, 2017, 09:06 PM
You will not know until you try. Take it slow. There is honestly nothing to be afraid of as long as you keep yourself safe. You can do this.

Devinsoccer
June 25th, 2017, 09:10 PM
Lol I have the exact oposite problem i want a license but my parents won't let me get one.

Kooy
June 25th, 2017, 09:12 PM
You will not know until you try. Take it slow. There is honestly nothing to be afraid of as long as you keep yourself safe. You can do this.

Isn't there another way to get ID…

Lol I have the exact oposite problem i want a license but my parents won't let me get one.

Trade?

DriveAlive
June 25th, 2017, 10:07 PM
Isn't there another way to get ID…

Trade?

No. There is no other way to get a drivers license. Take control of yourself and get this done. You will feel so much better.

Kooy
June 25th, 2017, 10:34 PM
No. There is no other way to get a drivers license. Take control of yourself and get this done. You will feel so much better.

If its left to whenever i feel i can do it. Id never do it… having to go to a DMV and doing test on something I don't really want, I honestly don't think I could put that much commitment in... (honestly their are many things i can do that I don't because i feel I can't or shouldn't or some other odd excuse) maybe oneday I will change my mind (right now I doubt it) but right now i have to distract myself from knowing im in a car to calmly get from point A to point B

DriveAlive
June 25th, 2017, 10:36 PM
If its left to whenever i feel i can do it. Id never do it… having to go to a DMV and doing test on something I don't really want, I honestly don't think I could put that much commitment in... (honestly their are many things i can do that I don't because i feel I can't or shouldn't or some other odd excuse) maybe oneday I will change my mind (right now I doubt it) but right now i have to distract myself from knowing im in a car to calmly get from point A to point B
Is there any way you can talk yourself into enjoying it? Have you ever seen the show Top Gear?

Kooy
June 25th, 2017, 10:51 PM
Is there any way you can talk yourself into enjoying it? Have you ever seen the show Top Gear?

I liked top gear until they fired Jeremy ive watched the "finding the sorce of the river nile" episodes a few times. I was more a fan for the cast then the cars though.

DriveAlive
June 25th, 2017, 11:01 PM
I liked top gear until they fired Jeremy ive watched the "finding the sorce of the river nile" episodes a few times. I was more a fan for the cast then the cars though.

Their new show the Grand Tour is pretty good. My point is that I am sure you could find something enjoyable about driving if you can just get yourself in the right mindset.

Kooy
June 25th, 2017, 11:13 PM
Their new show the Grand Tour is pretty good. My point is that I am sure you could find something enjoyable about driving if you can just get yourself in the right mindset.

By right mindset, you mean not be a hermit?

Devinsoccer
June 25th, 2017, 11:30 PM
Trade?

Nah i love my parents too much.

DriveAlive
June 25th, 2017, 11:52 PM
By right mindset, you mean not be a hermit?

Lol, I mean get yourself to get excited about it. Find a way to make it fun.

Kooy
June 26th, 2017, 12:12 AM
Nah i love my parents too much.

Ofcorse XD

Lol, I mean get yourself to get excited about it. Find a way to make it fun.

If only it was that easy

DriveAlive
June 26th, 2017, 12:30 AM
Ofcorse XD

If only it was that easy

I believe in you

Kooy
June 26th, 2017, 01:03 AM
I believe in you

Thank you

Sere
June 29th, 2017, 10:22 PM
Ran across this while shrugging along through this site and I personally have a fear of driving a car... If I had too I wouldn't drive a car. It would be something I have more control of.(if anything) I hate the idea of trying to drive on a car filled street or highway I feel like I'd hit someone or get hit. Making the quick turns and things like u turns scare me the most. I understand what you feel here Kooy

Kooy
June 29th, 2017, 11:05 PM
Ran across this while shrugging along through this site and I personally have a fear of driving a car... If I had too I wouldn't drive a car. It would be something I have more control of.(if anything) I hate the idea of trying to drive on a car filled street or highway I feel like I'd hit someone or get hit. Making the quick turns and things like u turns scare me the most. I understand what you feel here Kooy

Yeah where I live you have to be aware of everything and act fast or you end up in an accident. I don't think i have what it takes to stay safe.

Sere
June 29th, 2017, 11:24 PM
I feel the same, you live In new England? I used to live there and drivers were nuts. Enough to turn a car horn into a natural sound

Kooy
June 30th, 2017, 08:38 PM
I feel the same, you live In new England? I used to live there and drivers were nuts. Enough to turn a car horn into a natural sound

No im in the south but the state (and the part of the state im in) im in we get drivers from nearly everywere… and the interstates are basically all people use so it gets heactic fast

Sere
June 30th, 2017, 09:11 PM
No im in the south but the state (and the part of the state im in) im in we get drivers from nearly everywere… and the interstates are basically all people use so it gets heactic fast

Yeah, its sounds horrid. New england sounds like what youve described as well. I moved some years ago and where i live now it's not as bad (except for some of the bad drivers i see, [like an old woman who chased kids on their bikes and almost hit them not afraid of doing it]) Though i go into chicago pretty often which seeing people drive, bike, skoot and sckate through those streets is a thing that scares me more than making quick decisions and turns. Taxis can be the worst tho... yet i would never drive in a place like the city, plus walking could be faster than waiting in an hour of traffic to go a mile. I cant tell if i just went on a rant but still, driving a car isnt really for me (ESPECIALLY on highways)

We should still try it at some point tho, you dont have to do it more than once but its still something we should both try at some point

Posts merged. Please use the edit function rather than posting consecutively. ~Amethyst Rose