PDA

View Full Version : Needing a break?

Ringgo.babe2004
June 20th, 2017, 02:10 PM
Hello! So, normally once a year I spend a week at a summer camp. Last year the summer camp that I go to was canceled, same thing this summer. I'm homeschooled so I'm at home (duh) all the time with my mom and little brother Tom. Generally I'm fine, but lately I've been short tempered especially towards Tom. It's just like everyone he does is almost unbearable. I can see that I'm hurting him. And it's really frustrating. And my mom is becoming angry with how I'm treating him. My dad (as per usual) is a total dick whenever I interact with Tom, negatively or otherwise. I guess I feel overwhelmed. Have you ever listended to a song on repeat until it gets annoying? Yeah, that's how it is... I guess my question is: is it normal? To need a break from your family at 16? And any ideas as to how to get this break? Seeing as how I'm a girl and all of my friends are guys a sleepover is pretty much out of the question...

Thanks in advance!

~Kai

Wolfsbane
June 20th, 2017, 02:19 PM
Getting annoyed with the smallest of things at 16 is normal and the fact that you're homeschooled, with no friends at your age is bound to make you angry cuz there's no one to share your feelings/emotions. I guess the best thing for you would be to talk to your mom about this. Tell her that you're fed up with home school and you need a change. Might be difficult but that's your best shot.

Ringgo.babe2004
June 20th, 2017, 02:56 PM
Getting annoyed with the smallest of things at 16 is normal and the fact that you're homeschooled, with no friends at your age is bound to make you angry cuz there's no one to share your feelings/emotions. I guess the best thing for you would be to talk to your mom about this. Tell her that you're fed up with home school and you need a change. Might be difficult but that's your best shot.

Yeah, I do need to talk to her. I was in school and was bullied horribly, mostly by females. I do have friends my age, but only one of them is a girl. Her parents are incredibly strict though. I do have two very close male friends. I feel like I need an escape. Even if it was just a few days.

Thanks!
~ Kai

ClaraWho
June 21st, 2017, 04:20 PM
Running away from your problems isn't much of a solution. Being homeschooled due to bullying seems like a cowardly way out of dealing with it. Did you look into other schools? It can't be healthy to not interact that often in person with others your own age, friends or strangers. I would look into at least joining any clubs, groups, etc in your locale.

You will encounter bullies throughout life, face multiple rejections and things not going your way. Learning to be self-confident, to use resources and harness support around you, to maturely respond and deal with conflict - these are requirements for living to your full potential. That isn't to say they are easy; nobody likes someone attempting to bully them, no matter how strong they are - even more so if it is a group. But at some point you have to toughen up hun. I've been there, and I will never go back.

~ Clara

Emilyyy
June 22nd, 2017, 09:58 AM
Yeah everyone needs a break at some point. Any time you spend a lot of time around people you need a break. The little things start getting so annoying. Nothing saved my sister's relationship with my mum and I more than moving out of town. Gave both sides a break and now they get on better. Not saying you need to go out of town for good but a bit of time to clear your head is usually helpful.

EvaNL
June 22nd, 2017, 10:55 AM
Maybe you can ask your mom to take you on a small holiday trip somewhere? Or if your female friend is going on a holiday, ask if you can come with them?