PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court win for Free Speech!

PlasmaHam
June 19th, 2017, 12:03 PM
Source (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06/19/supreme-court-sides-with-slants-rules-ban-on-offensive-names-is-unconstitutional.html)The Supreme Court ruled Monday that a federal trademark law banning offensive names is unconstitutional, siding with a rock band whose name had been deemed racially disparaging by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

In an 8-0 ruling, the court determined the law’s so-called “disparagement clause” violates the free speech clause of the First Amendment.

The case centered on Oregon-based, Asian-American band The Slants, which was denied a trademark because its name was considered offensive. The band countered that the 70-year-old law at issue violates free-speech rights -- and Justice Samuel Alito, in the court’s opinion, agreed.
America, the place where you have the freedom to speak as you may, no matter if the trigglies find it offensive.

Mars
June 19th, 2017, 12:39 PM
I just don't see why anyone would want to use offensive terms in the first place... let alone name their band that :what:

mattsmith48
June 19th, 2017, 01:18 PM
Source (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06/19/supreme-court-sides-with-slants-rules-ban-on-offensive-names-is-unconstitutional.html)
America, the place where you have the freedom to speak as you may, no matter if the trigglies find it offensive.

Does this mean Dan Snyder and his NFL franchise are getting their trademark back?

PlasmaHam
June 19th, 2017, 02:31 PM
Does this mean Dan Snyder and his NFL franchise are getting their trademark back?

Yep. The law that the court just struck down as unconstitutional is the same law that is preventing the Redskins from trademarking their name. Essentially now the Redskins will have no legal issues with their trademark.

mattsmith48
June 19th, 2017, 02:50 PM
I just don't see why anyone would want to use offensive terms in the first place... let alone name their band that :what:

Ill answer that with a quote from a great businessman:

''When we name our company "Washington Redskins," it was out of deep appreciation for your team and your people.'' - Eric Cartman

Snowfox
June 19th, 2017, 03:07 PM
Source (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06/19/supreme-court-sides-with-slants-rules-ban-on-offensive-names-is-unconstitutional.html)

How I wish my country had free speech too

mattsmith48
June 19th, 2017, 03:33 PM
How I wish my country had free speech too

...So you could openly and loudly spread hate and lies about Muslims.

Snowfox
June 19th, 2017, 03:43 PM
...So you could openly and loudly spread hate and lies about Muslims.

What makes you think I would do something like that?:confused: I try to stick to truth.

mattsmith48
June 19th, 2017, 03:51 PM
What makes you think I would do something like that?:confused: I try to stick to truth.

Because that's what you everytime there is a terrorist attack

Snowfox
June 19th, 2017, 03:58 PM
Lets not use term lie. Lets call it alternative truth ;D
Seriously freedom of speech is on off thing. Either you have it totally or you dont have any of it. Sadly all EU has 0% of freedom of speech. There is one official truth and people who disagree are killed and hunted and send to jail.

mattsmith48
June 19th, 2017, 04:04 PM
Lets not use term lie. Lets call it alternative truth ;D

In that case I would prefer to call it bullshit

Seriously freedom of speech is on off thing. Either you have it totally or you dont have any of it. Sadly all EU has 0% of freedom of speech. There is one official truth and people who disagree are killed and hunted and send to jail.

There is freedom of speech in Europe the only thing that is outlaw is hate speech.

Snowfox
June 19th, 2017, 04:07 PM
In that case I would prefer to call it bullshit

There is freedom of speech in Europe the only thing that is outlaw is hate speech.

Hate speech is outlawed when someone says anything about muslims but when muslims openly support terrorism or when they practice hatespeech against christians it is not only allowed it is praised in official media

Mars
June 19th, 2017, 04:57 PM
Keep this thread on topic and try not to get out of hand with the debates. This isn't ROTW. ~Mars

Dalcourt
June 19th, 2017, 09:22 PM
But you guys read the full article did you ?

And you understand that the main reason they got right here was that they are Asian Americans? They being allowed to use the term slants is not different from rappers using the n-word.

So don't get all too enthusiastic about the free speech thing here. I am not sure if the court would have ruled the same with a non Asian band.
For them it's reclaiming a slur for others it would still be seen as an offence.

Just my two cents here, so don't get too besides about yourself over the free speech thing.

lliam
June 19th, 2017, 10:34 PM
what's so offensive about "slants"?

TheAnswerIs58
June 19th, 2017, 10:49 PM

It's a derogatory term for people who have "slanted" eyes, mostly used against Asians

Dalcourt
June 20th, 2017, 01:02 AM

Would be like if ya call Asians "Schlitzaugen" in German. The best equivalent I can think of.

Periphery
June 20th, 2017, 01:31 AM
Ugh ffs, do we really have to go to court for band names now? Somehow Cannibal Corpse is fine but this isn't. France had Anorexia Nervosa you think they gave a shit? Seriously what is wrong with people these days. It's a band name, it's not like they are actually harming people. Stop getting offended by everything seriously. Oh and let's not forget Lamb Of God used to be called Burn The Priest.

PlasmaHam
June 20th, 2017, 09:49 AM
So don't get all too enthusiastic about the free speech thing here. I am not sure if the court would have ruled the same with a non Asian band.
For them it's reclaiming a slur for others it would still be seen as an offence. But the fact that they were Asians is irrelevant. The courts could have just said that certain races get certain exceptions under the law, but instead stated the whole law banning "offensive" trademarks is unconstitutional. Under their decision, a black band could theortically call themselves the "White Crackers" and a white band could call themselves the "Wild Negroes." There isn't any race requirement stated under this ruling. It simply states that banning offensive trademarks is unconstitutional, which by my standards is a win for free speech.
Ugh ffs, do we really have to go to court for band names now? Somehow Cannibal Corpse is fine but this isn't. France had Anorexia Nervosa you think they gave a shit? Seriously what is wrong with people these days. It's a band name, it's not like they are actually harming people. Stop getting offended by everything seriously. Oh and let's not forget Lamb Of God used to be called Burn The Priest.
They could care less about macabre and anti-Christian names, but god-forbid that they offend the sacred minority! :P

ShineintheDark
June 20th, 2017, 10:40 AM
They could care less about macabre and anti-Christian names, but god-forbid that they offend the sacred minority!

...triggered much, bro?

Jk

In all seriousness, it's good that all this offensive stuff has been cleared off the table cos it's pretty stupid anyways

Periphery
June 20th, 2017, 03:01 PM
...triggered much, bro?

Jk

In all seriousness, it's good that all this offensive stuff has been cleared off the table cos it's pretty stupid anyways

It's censorship, over forms of art. I find that pretty stupid. Shouldn't artists be allowed to name their bands how they want? Should people really chose how others name their bands? Well atleast the generic alt rock bands are safe. If a chart topping band changed their name to something like this, people would be just fine with it. Also, not sure if you guys bothered to look the band up but guys, they're all Asian.

lliam
June 20th, 2017, 03:03 PM
Would be like if ya call Asians "Schlitzaugen" in German. The best equivalent I can think of.

Thanks for the new word. But I'd to google "Schlitzaugen". Even my German classmates of Vietnamese descent, whom I asked, didn't know this.

Obviously being a student at our school is like living in halls of ivy or such.