PDA

View Full Version : Self harm that isn't cutting?

Yugen
June 19th, 2017, 09:08 AM
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person ever to be crazy enough to self harm in ways other than cutting. I have cut in the past, but I've also broken bones, sprained things, etc. and my go to is usually hitting myself versus the traditional cutting or scratching.

devotionnel
June 19th, 2017, 03:33 PM
It's not strange, people (including myself) have a tendency to do this - maybe it's a different release for some people, or just lack of anything to properly harm with.

BlackParadePixie
June 19th, 2017, 06:57 PM
No, it's not weird at all. I have heard of people doing things like...slamming their hands shut in a door, or a drawer.

Dalcourt
June 19th, 2017, 08:44 PM
It's jot as uncommon as you think. Even if there's mainly the opinion self harm = cutting a lot of people hurt each other in other ways.
I felt strange about hurting myself in different ways from cutting, too but a therapist told me that a great deal of people do it.
Public opinion and mainstream media just make it look like it's all just about cutting...reality looks different.

naenaendr
July 5th, 2017, 06:08 PM
I've never thought of other methods other than cutting. What would you tell your parent when you have a broken bone??

Dalcourt
July 5th, 2017, 08:16 PM
I've never thought of other methods other than cutting. What would you tell your parent when you have a broken bone??

What do you tell them when they see the cuts or blood somewhere?
I guess every self harmer is able to find directions the right excuses for their situation.

naenaendr
July 6th, 2017, 08:46 AM
I've only cut once, and I just wore a long-sleeved shirt for a week until it wasn't visible.

Just JT
July 7th, 2017, 07:31 AM
Self harm can be many things. Over eating, not eating. Drug or alcohol abuse. Pretty much anything that's bad for you that you intentionally do to harm yourself

Indexes
July 24th, 2017, 09:38 AM
Yikes, yeah. I remember messing up in third grade once and starting to bang my head against a wall (thought it was normal at the time, somehow) - done the same several times this year, but not in front of people.

If I say something stupid in class or to someone else, I start violently scratching my knuckles and palms. That's something I can't help not doing in public, but at least it raises less questions than the former.

Amethyst Rose
July 24th, 2017, 10:10 AM
No, there's nothing abnormal about that. What many people fail to realize is that all forms of self harm are worthy of an equal amount of attention as they are all unhealthy. It's unfortunate that cutting generally takes precedence over the others. To dispel the idea that "cutting = self harm" many are stuck on would be a feat.

Yugen
July 26th, 2017, 10:19 AM

That I need to go to the hospital and get it x-rayed like any other broken bone.
Accidents happen...

elmoc
July 28th, 2017, 10:08 PM
"To dispel the idea that "cutting = self harm" many are stuck on would be a feat."

Amethyst,
I'm confused about what you are saying with this sentence. Do you mean that it would be better if all forms of self harm were identified equally?
TY

CrypticBread2
July 28th, 2017, 10:58 PM
Ya, I thought about cutting, trying to get the effects that some people get out of cutting, but I knew I would feint if I saw my own blood (due to a psychological condition I have), so instead I resorted to hitting my knee and biting my knee whenever I was mad or upset. It was kinda better because besides the bruising that would sometimes happen, there was no permanent damage done.