PDA

View Full Version : Geocachers?

user-999
June 16th, 2017, 03:39 PM
I was just wondering if there are any geocachers on VT
If you are one: For how long have you been doing this and how many geocaches have you found?
I've been a geocacher for 3 years and I have found 46 caches, it's not that much, but I go on a "geo trip" once a year, but this summer I have a goal to reach 100 caches and maybe place some too!

Drewboyy
June 16th, 2017, 05:37 PM
I've known about it forever but only go searching if I'm showing family/friends around or if I'm on vacation and want to go exploring. I've found around 30 in NYC (although there are tons more around here) and quite a few around South America and the Caribbean Islands

lolaa
June 17th, 2017, 01:27 PM
I just found out about this and I can't wait to try it

Katrinchen
June 17th, 2017, 01:49 PM
is that only to find some hidden things?
and when you found it you can change the treasure?

user-999
June 17th, 2017, 02:09 PM
is that only to find some hidden things?
and when you found it you can change the treasure?

Well, while looking for those things you can find out a lot about the region you are doing it or find some beautiful and interesting places, some of them might be hidden in places many tourists visit, but others show the less known sides of the city/country.
Yes, when you find the geocache, there will be a logbook, where you will write down your name, and there might be some "treasures", but it depends on the cache, the nano caches can be as small as 11mm in diameter and 13 mm in height, and that barely has place for the log"book". I usually don't trade, because the "treasures" aren't that interesting, but the makers of the cache, might put some souvenirs from the place in there.

kimmykim
June 17th, 2017, 02:31 PM
i would like to try it, what do i need?

user-999
June 20th, 2017, 04:20 PM
i would like to try it, what do i need?

You need to sign up to the geocaching website and the just look at the map and go look for them, sometimes you might need some special equipment, like a flashlight, or rain boots (in case you have to go in wet place to get the cache), but the needed equipment will usually be listed on the website.

Cute_Jenny
June 23rd, 2017, 01:20 AM
A friend of mine is geocacher and I have been on tour already. But nothing is for me.

kimmykim
June 23rd, 2017, 06:33 AM
You need to sign up to the geocaching website and the just look at the map and go look for them, sometimes you might need some special equipment, like a flashlight, or rain boots (in case you have to go in wet place to get the cache), but the needed equipment will usually be listed on the website.

awesome, thx