View Full Version : "Third place" train station

June 12th, 2017, 03:21 AM
It's in the fashion these times to transform train stations into "Third places". You cannot enter in them (to take your train, for example) without bumping into a table football, a piano and a Bike-Charger for cell phones. Plus, railway stations are also rapidly turning into huge shopping centres.

Is it the same where you live?
In your opinion, should a raliway station be a place where one can take his train, a place to go with friends and have fun or a mix of both?

To me, it's a brillant idea to make people to forget their train is 15mn late by offering them a more convivial waiting space!

June 12th, 2017, 05:25 AM
Well, something like this has happened only in our capital city Riga. The other train stations are small and without may features other that taking the train. The Riga station will advance even more when The Baltic Rail will be constructed. In my opinion, it's quite convenient to do so.

June 12th, 2017, 05:41 AM
There's always been a few shops around the train stations, both in my little town and the main city centre, but recently there's been development works and the train station in the main centre has lots of shops, department stores, cafes, restaurants and more. It makes a change from the dark corridors it used to be though, and is actually quite a nice place to go to even if you're not getting the train.

June 12th, 2017, 06:01 AM
Train stations aren't really a thing where I live. But I have a friend in Europe who works for their railway company there and she told me the same, showing pics from her workplaces.
I feel it's a good thing way, better than to have to wait for a train in a lonely and ugly place.

June 15th, 2017, 11:07 PM
The few train stations that I have seen here are drab and unappealing. I would never want to spend much time in them.

Roc a fella
June 16th, 2017, 12:17 AM
They're aren't many nice train station where I live and I don't see a point in spending money to make a train station nice