PDA

View Full Version : Confusing.

Snowfox
June 11th, 2017, 02:09 AM
I am still at juniorhigh but I find it odd that most of you guys have to pay for college.
Where I live all schooling from all levels is free of charge. When you pass entry exam you can go to University and then State starts to pay you from 100-250 euros per month to help you in your bills. They also pay rent support.

Endeavour
June 11th, 2017, 06:30 AM
University fees where I live have been rising so much over the past few years. The amount of help that the government pay you has also reduced. However there's a scheme which most people follow which means that you don't have to pay it back until you start working.

Amethyst Rose
June 11th, 2017, 10:12 AM
Where I live, there are many opportunities for scholarships. As of now my tuition is paid for the most part, based on my test scores and credits. That's subject to change depending on which university I apply to/get accepted into, but it will definitely help a lot.

Deleted User
June 12th, 2017, 09:49 AM
Almost nothing is paid for here unless you apply for scholarships, bursaries, and provincial financial aid. They're supposed to change how much money you can receive as of September but there's really no such thing as free tuition on my side of the world, let alone help with living costs. It's doable on loans (I'm disabled and living off student loans) but it's tight and doesn't always work out so well.

ClovesXIII
June 13th, 2017, 07:23 PM
I live in the U.S and we pay tuition, which if out of state ranges from 20,000-29,000 USD, whereas in state ranges from 7,000-12,000 USD, but like the above user said, we do have scholarships, that aid in our payment. Plus we have things like student loans which most people never fully pay off before they die.

mick01
June 14th, 2017, 10:15 AM
My brothers college tuition is $55 thousand dollars a year. My sister starts college in the fall and her tuition is close to $40k a year. Then there is me and my little brother. So my parents have to make a shitload of money just for college tuitions. It's crazy!

JoeyJ
June 26th, 2017, 10:33 PM
lucky you lol, it sucks here

KatieCO2003
June 26th, 2017, 11:56 PM
And most people in your country pay what in taxes? 80%? 90%? So, your government takes your paycheck away from you and spends it for you, then justifies that by calling college "free"?

No thanks. I'd rather spend my money myself.

Snowfox
June 27th, 2017, 02:46 PM
And most people in your country pay what in taxes? 80%? 90%? So, your government takes your paycheck away from you and spends it for you, then justifies that by calling college "free"?

No thanks. I'd rather spend my money myself.

No taxes are like 25-35% for median household. maximum taxrate for superwealthy is 60% that anyway is for salaries only. Capital gains tax is 30-34%

Dmaxd123
June 29th, 2017, 02:02 PM
My brothers college tuition is $55 thousand dollars a year. My sister starts college in the fall and her tuition is close to $40k a year. Then there is me and my little brother. So my parents have to make a shitload of money just for college tuitions. It's crazy!

or... go to a cheaper college or trade school, get a job, get a student loan in YOUR name

I was/am fortunate my parents started a college savings account for me at a young age but even then it was "here is whats in the account you can take out loans if you need to or use what is here on a more economical school"

i figure college is a stepping stone to the real world so it shouldn't all fall upon our parents

lolaa
June 29th, 2017, 02:06 PM
where i am we got no taxes and education of all sorts is free, free housing for locals and annual income for divorced women . and free scholarships abroad if you got a 3.2 gpa

mick01
June 29th, 2017, 02:52 PM
or... go to a cheaper college or trade school, get a job, get a student loan in YOUR name

I was/am fortunate my parents started a college savings account for me at a young age but even then it was "here is whats in the account you can take out loans if you need to or use what is here on a more economical school"

i figure college is a stepping stone to the real world so it shouldn't all fall upon our parents

Family decision dude which I don't need to explain. But thanks for the input.

Dmaxd123
June 29th, 2017, 05:08 PM
Family decision dude which I don't need to explain. But thanks for the input.

it's cool if your parents can cover it, and works out well for you

but some people make it seem like it's their parent's job to put them through college. i just know my parents & most others couldn't afford 100K/year haha, don't even make 100K combined actually around here