PDA

View Full Version : Recovering files from Windows 8 factory reset?

Serpent in Minor
June 9th, 2017, 01:22 PM
Is there a way to recover files from a full factory reset of a Windows 8 computer? My sister plays on a laptop that I used to own. Recently, she decided that the computer wasn't running fast enough and preformed a factory reset- without telling me. I know I should've moved the files off as soon as I got my new laptop, but I didn't. There are some really important files on there, like my sixth grade dance pictures! If there's any solution to this, please help!
Thanks in advance for help or taking the time to read. :)
Edit- She did choose the option to remove all files, not the other, more shallow reset.

Endeavour
June 9th, 2017, 01:28 PM
I'm pretty sure once the files are wiped, they are pretty much gone for good. There are services available that try to get data back, but I can't say anything about the reliability of them.

Serpent in Minor
June 9th, 2017, 01:46 PM
Thank you for the help! I guess I'll have to take this one as a lesson in backing up your files.

jdhud024
June 10th, 2017, 10:57 AM
Technically yes- the data would still be there until written over again. Usually when reset, to speed up the process, Windows marks the sectors on the drive as free space, even if there is data there. That means that until that data is written over again, it still exists, just marked as free space. For example, if a 120GB drive was half filled then erased but not written over, the 60GB that was in use would be marked as free space, but the data would exist until the sectors holding the data was written over again. Unless the data has been written over since the reset, it still exists. However, it would be incredibly hard to recover due to probable fragmentation, and software to recover data is usually expensive for decent software that works.

So basically technically it could exist, but you're still out of luck.

Rendez-Vous
June 11th, 2017, 07:04 AM
you can try to use some programs like recuva, ontrack easyrecovery or its analogs. there is a chance you can recover these files, but it's not 100% sure.

Jamiec1130
June 12th, 2017, 07:53 PM
As pointed out above, the data is still there, just marked as free space. There are some utilities available to help recover files. Just don't put anything else on the drive, or else you will overwrite the data that's been marked as free and completely destroy any chance of getting the data back.