PDA

View Full Version : Freezing fruits

Barbara.
June 4th, 2017, 06:12 PM
Mom and I just got done cutting stems from a lot of strawberries getting ready to freeze for later use. My questions is has anyone froze watermelon or any fruit for later use?
And if so what kind fruit?
And did they tastes just as fresh as the day you froze them?

PlasmaHam
June 4th, 2017, 06:48 PM
Every year I freeze some peaches from our trees. In a few weeks I'll do it again. I wouldn't say they tasted as good after being frozen, but the taste lost was pretty minimal. We don't really eat the frozen peaches raw though, normally all the frozen peaches are taken out for use in cobblers, pies, etc throughout the winter months.

refrigeratorx
June 4th, 2017, 06:49 PM
Idk about watermelon but it should be fine. I've done like the grapes, blueberries, blackberries, pineapple. But I'm sure watermelon would also work. Depends in what way ur eating it later. I use it for smoothies. So it's not gonna be much different.

Barbara.
June 5th, 2017, 04:08 PM
Every year I freeze some peaches from our trees. In a few weeks I'll do it again. I wouldn't say they tasted as good after being frozen, but the taste lost was pretty minimal. We don't really eat the frozen peaches raw though, normally all the frozen peaches are taken out for use in cobblers, pies, etc throughout the winter months.
I coming to your house sounds lusciously wonderfully delicious.

Idk about watermelon but it should be fine. I've done like the grapes, blueberries, blackberries, pineapple. But I'm sure watermelon would also work. Depends in what way ur eating it later. I use it for smoothies. So it's not gonna be much different.
I never thought of using them for smoothies. Mom usually makes strawberry pies or for shortcakes.

Barbara.
June 7th, 2017, 05:37 PM
Speaking of frozen foods ,I found a recipe I thought everyone might enjoy. Peel a banana, insert a stick, dip in chocolate of your choice and freeze once frozen enjoy.

SethfromMI
June 7th, 2017, 05:45 PM

I love a good peach cobbler.

we have frozen some stuff like berries and what not. usually my mom will do it to make smoothies later. but I will do it too sometimes when I am cutting up peppers and what not. I guess it may depend on what your eating, but many times it is not a significant taste loss, sometimes you might not notice it at all. when I freeze the peppers, it is usually to make chili or something with it later, so what it is being used for can play a huge factor as well

Pepito
June 7th, 2017, 06:51 PM
Personally i have never tried freezing a watermelon, but i'd imagine it could be a fun ice lolly. Not sure it would taste great after de-frosting though. I did however freeze some strawberries and blueberries. They turned out ok.

Coolteenboy
June 7th, 2017, 08:03 PM

Same here. Gunna try watermelon, but its so much cheaper to freeze stuff thats in season for later use!

KatieCO2003
June 7th, 2017, 11:34 PM
Strawberries and blackberries freeze well. Haven't tried anything else.

pjones
June 8th, 2017, 07:25 PM
We don't freeze fresh fruit but use frozen from the store, berries mostly, and they taste good to me

Amethyst Rose
June 8th, 2017, 10:39 PM
I've never frozen watermelon, but it has such a high water content that it would basically turn into a block of ice, wouldn't it? You could break it into pieces and put it in smoothies or something. I like freezing fruit for smoothies.

Barbara.
June 10th, 2017, 11:10 AM
I've never frozen watermelon, but it has such a high water content that it would basically turn into a block of ice, wouldn't it? You could break it into pieces and put it in smoothies or something. I like freezing fruit for smoothies.
Yea I think your right ,now that I think about it. Frozen watermelon would basically be a block of ice if chunked, being chunked would be wonderful for smoothies or maybe a chilled alcoholic drink or non alcoholic beverage. I wouldn't think it would be as fresh as the day it was frozen to thaw and eat.

Endeavour
June 11th, 2017, 11:37 AM
We use frozen fruits for smoothies as well. It's not as nice as when it's fresh, but still quite nice. We mainly freeze like strawberries and stuff like that.

Dalcourt
June 13th, 2017, 02:31 AM
Both my grandmas freeze all kinds of fruit.
They use it mainly to make jams or desserts.

One of them also froze watermelon. They were cut into pieces and she put them on a skewter. She made it as a treat for me instead of giving me the highly sugary sno-ball/ snow cone stuff when I was little.

mick01
June 15th, 2017, 02:29 PM
Like Barbra said, a frozen banana dipped in chocolate is awesome.

Niceguy17
August 12th, 2017, 10:47 AM
I freeze all different kinds of fruit, they taste good, but fresh is the best. Idk about watermelon though, I don't think you're supposed to freeze that one.