PDA

View Full Version : Advice for asking a girl out?

Limeeyed
May 20th, 2017, 02:44 PM
Hey guys, I'm currently a sophomore in hs and for the past year I have been silently obsessing over this girl in my class. She's a freshman, and she seems pretty quiet (not true all the time). I've been wanting to talk to her, but the issue is, I have a really bad stutter, I literally cannot speak. What might take a person 5 seconds to say will take me 5 minutes. This is a legitimate disorder, not a social anxiety thing or whatever (although I have that too). I am by no means socially adept, and I am at a loss how to proceed with this. She talks normally to other people, but she seems to avoid speaking to me, whenever she looks at me she lowers her head (as if to avoid eye contact). Not to mention I am quite insecure in terms of my own attractiveness. So, I have come to request your counsel, what should I do?

ShineintheDark
May 20th, 2017, 04:59 PM
I'd advise not to get in your own head too much about it and be as confident as possible when doing it, whether this affects the stutter or not. As for the stutter itself, I'd advise to either ask when you both ahve eniough time to handle the question or maybe think of asking through easier mediums where you don;t have to speak like texting.

jamie_n5
May 20th, 2017, 08:57 PM
Some people don't understand people with disorders or that are different. It is not fair or right. Have you ever tried therapy to try overcome your stuttering or make it less prominent? I would just try talking to her or write her a note explaining your feelings and that you can't help your stuttering. Get her phone and text her if she is willing. I wish you luck and be courageous and don't give up. I am sure you are a great guy.

Limeeyed
May 21st, 2017, 08:35 AM
Some people don't understand people with disorders or that are different. It is not fair or right. Have you ever tried therapy to try overcome your stuttering or make it less prominent? I would just try talking to her or write her a note explaining your feelings and that you can't help your stuttering. Get her phone and text her if she is willing. I wish you luck and be courageous and don't give up. I am sure you are a great guy.

Well, she uses the same username for everything, so I've actually found her kik that way, but it would probably be creepy if I texted her that way, wouldn't it?
Frankly, I'm also not sure what the previously mentioned signals mean, it means something but what?

jamie_n5
May 30th, 2017, 07:23 PM
Well talk to her and explain that because of your stuttering you would like to text her if she is okay with that and ask for her kik or whatever means she wants to communicate. Don't worry about signals and all of that. If you like her make an attempt to get acquainted and go from there. Just be confident in yourself. You can do it my man.